- Created on Tuesday, 30 April 2013 08:45
- Written by brian
The polls have closed and the results have been verified by an independent third party: EVERYBODY LOVES SAUSAGES!!! Seriously though, despite the recent e-mails from internet brokebrains I've received to the contrary everybody does love sausages and the Melvins released their new covers album TODAY to prove it! Swing on down to your local record butcher to pick up a copy. SPIN has the entire album up for streaming, and Buzz has provided written commentary alongside each track. To add to the fun, the Melvins have also announced the tour dates for their 30th Anniversary Extravaganza Tour, check them out below. One of the tracks on the album is Romance by Tales of Terror and was recorded with the Melvins Lite lineup, here's what Buzz had to say about it: "I saw Tales of Terror a bunch of times in the early '80s, before they had actually put out that album [1984's Tales of Terror]. So I was a converted fan before they recorded anything. And once I got that record, I just thought it was great. As it turns out, they only printed 5000 LP's. It's never come out on fuckin' CD. That's insane. To me, that's one of the best records to ever come out of California. It's fucking amazing. And nobody cares. Unbelievable. Their whole thing is completely tragic. The band ended because one of the guitar players got beaten to death in Sacramento. And then the bass player, years later, overdosed on methadone, I think. And I think the singer was so messed up on drugs that now he has to live in an assisted living place. That's rock and roll. That's it, right in a nutshell. "Played with needles just a little too much." There it is. For one shining moment, these guys had it together, and they did it, and it's amazing."
30th Anniversary Tour with Honky
July 12, 2013 - Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
July 13, 2013 - Albuquerque, NM - The Launchpad
July 15, 2013 - Denver, CO - The Summit Music Hall
July 17, 2013 - Omaha, NE - The Waiting Room
July 18, 2013 - Rock Island, IL - Rock Island Brewing Company
July 20, 2013 - Minneapolis, MN - Grumpy’s (Bash-13 Festival)
July 21, 2013 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall Ballroom (w/Mudhoney)
July 22, 2013 - Chicago, IL - Double Door
July 23, 2013 - St. Louis, MO - The Firebird
July 25, 2013 - Cleveland, OH - The Grog Shop
July 26, 2013 - Detroit, MI - Small’s
July 27, 2013 - Syracuse, NY - The Westcott Theater
July 29, 2013 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
July 30, 2013 - Hartford, CT - Arch Street Tavern
July 31, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY - TBA
August 1, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA - Underground Arts
August 2, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
August 3, 2013 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
August 4, 2013 - Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
August 5, 2013 - Atlanta, GA - The Loft at Center Stage Atlanta
August 7, 2013 - New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jack’s
August 8, 2013 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
August 9, 2013 - Austin, TX - Mohawk
August 10, 2013 - Dallas, TX - Trees
August 13, 2013 - Salt Lake City, UT - Club Sound
August 14, 2013 - Boise, ID - Neurolux
August 16, 2013 - Seattle, WA - Neumo’s
August 19, 2013 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
August 20, 2013 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
August 22, 2013 - San Francisco, CA - Slim’s
- Created on Thursday, 21 March 2013 21:16
- Written by brian
Melvins have announced the dates for their spring tour, including a month in Europe playing both Melvins Lite and some Residency shows with the full lineup! Vice's Noisey also premiered a new track today from the forthcoming covers album Everybody Loves Sausages, Queen's "You're My Best Friend" which features guest vocals from Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird.
Melvins Lite European Tour
April 22, 2013 - Bristol, England - Exchange
April 23, 2013 - Tourcoing, France - Le Grand Mix
April 24, 2013 - Brussels, Belgium - VK
April 25, 2013 - Haarlem, The Netherlands - Patronaat
April 26, 2013 - Cologne/Köln, Germany - Bürgerhaus Stollwerck
April 27, 2013 - Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg - Kulturfabrik
April 28, 2013 - Schorndorf, Germany - Manufaktur
April 29, 2013 - Geneva, Switzerland - L'Usine PTR
April 30, 2013 - Livorno, Italy - The Cage Theatre
May 01, 2013 - Mezzago, Italy - Bloom
May 02, 2013 - Munich, Germany - Hansa 39
May 03, 2013 - Prague, Czech Republic - Matrix Klub
May 04, 2013 - Wroclaw, Poland - Asymmetry Festival
May 05, 2013 - Leipzig, Germany - UT Konnewitz
Melvins European Residency
May 07, 2013 - Berlin, Germany - Festsaal Kreuzberg - Day 1 (playing Lysol, Eggnog and Houdini)
May 08, 2013 - Berlin, Germany - Festsaal Kreuzberg - Day 2 (playing Bullhead and Stoner Witch)
May 10, 2013 - Paris, France - Le Trabendo - Day 1
May 11, 2013 - Paris, France - Le Trabendo - Day 2
May 13, 2013 - Vienna, Austria - Arena - Day 1
May 14, 2013 - Vienna, Austria - Arena - Day 2
May 16, 2013 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik - Day 1
May 17, 2013 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik - Day 2
May 19, 2013 - London, England - Electric Brixton - Day 1
May 20, 2013 - London, England - Electric Brixton - Day 2
May 21, 2013 - Bristol, England - Exchange - Day 1
May 22, 2013 - Bristol, England - Exchange - Day 2
May 25, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Maryland Deathfest
May 27, 2013 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
May 28, 2013 - Columbus, OH - A&R Music Bar
May 29, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH - Taft Theatre
June 01, 2013 - Memphis, TN - Scion Rock Fest
- In December, Melvins drummer Dale Crover performed with Honky, the local trio led by the Surfers' favored bassist Jeff Pinkus. Not long afterward, he met with Crover and Melvins singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne in L.A. for some writing and recording. The session, engineered by Big Business/Melvins wingman Toshi Kasai, yielded four songs, two written and sung by Pinkus. Titled "Pist Pistoferson" and "AM Radio Head," they reined the sludge vets into Pinkus' world of "big stupid rock songs." The other two tunes, penned by Osborne, utilize the cryptic tunings and oozing riffage that remain distinctly Melvins. "My songwriting is so much more structured than theirs," laughs Pinkus. "I write in a rock way whereas Buzz comes up with riffs so intricate that we'd have to remind ourselves what we did last practice. That's probably why they want me as a bass player, because I can remember his parts when he can't!" Pinkus and Osborne even did a little role reversal, switching off guitar and bass duties on one song. The EP, titled Pinkus, comes out on AmRep this spring. Many of the label's releases are in quantities of 700 and sell out quickly. "The Melvins put out so much stuff that this will be only a brief blurb in the timeline of their releases," reflects Pinkus. "But for me it's something that I've been real proud to be a part of."
MNoriginal did a great feature on Tom Hazelmeyer, the Dear Leader of Amphetamine Reptile Records...
- Created on Friday, 08 February 2013 14:30
- Written by brian
Today the Melvins announced a 13-track covers album titled "Everybody Loves Sausages," which is set for a April 30th release via Ipecac Recordings.
"This record will give people a peak into the kind of things that influence us musically," explains Buzz Osborne. "We REALLY like all of these songs along with the bands who actually wrote this stuff because first and foremost we are HUGE music fans."
In a decidedly Melvins approach to a covers album, the band not only selected a unique assortment of songs to cover, ranging from Roxy Music's "In Every Dream Home A Heartache" to Queen's "Best Friend," they also enlisted several friends to take part including Mudhoney's Mark Arm joining them for The Scientists' "Set It On Fire" and Neurosis' Scott Kelly pitching in on a cover of Venom's "Warhead."
While the release is billed as a proper Melvins' album (featuring the line-up of Osborne, Dale Crover, Jared Warren and Coady Willis), there are a handful of songs recorded as the Melvins Lite incarnation of the band (Osborne, Crover and Trevor Dunn): "Female Trouble" (Divine a.k.a. John Waters), "Timothy Leary Lives" (Pop-O-Pies) and "Romance By Tales of Terror" (Tales of Terror).
The complete track listing with original artist and guest player notation:
- Warhead (Venom; Guest: Scott Kelly of Neurosis)
- Best Friend (Queen; Guest: Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird)
- Black Betty (Original artist unknown)
- Set It On Fire (The Scientists; Guest: Mark Arm)
- Station To Station (David Bowie; Guest: JG Thirlwell)
- Attitude (The Kinks: Guest: Clem Burke of Blondie)
- Female Trouble (Divine a.k.a. John Waters)
- Carpe Diem (The Fugs)
- Timothy Leary Lives (Pop-O-Pies)
- In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Roxy Music; Guests: Jello Biafra and Kevin Rutmanis)
- Romance (Tales of Terror)
- Art School (The Jam; Guest: Tom Hazelmeyer)
- Heathen Earth (Throbbing Gristle)
Dale made an appearance on The Hot Box to promote Everybody Loves Sausages and he premiered the first track from the album, Venom's "Warhead".
- Created on Friday, 25 January 2013 12:46
- Written by brian
AmRep has announced that tomorrow morning around 9AM Central a number of new and limited Melvins vinyl releases will go on sale on SHOXOP and then likely sell out posthaste. The new splits in the ongoing Sugar Daddy split series with Mudhoney and Fucked Up will be available along with the 5th cover variant of the Melvins 1983 EP. In addition to those items, AmRep is releasing Hepa/Titus' new album Follow Me tomorrow morning as well. Hepa/Titus is former Melvins bassist Kevin Rutmanis' new band and the album is outstanding!
UPDATE(1/26/2013): As expected these releases sold out in about an hour. Some copies may still be available at upcoming tour dates in 2013.
On a related note, Tom Hazelmeyer, owner of Amphetamine Reptile Records was interviewed by an Israeli radio station recently. In the interview he touches on the way AmRep functions in its new era of mostly limited releases. Check out the interview HERE.
YouTube clips have been posted of the two tracks from the NYE split 12" with Redd Kross!
Decent Exposure Radio posted the audio of an interview they did with the band while they were in Allentown, PA for the 51/51 tour.