As Buzz's summer U.S. Tour is winding down and his Australia/Europe tours will be getting started in a few weeks I figured I'd round up all the latest in Melvins land. Rumors have been circulating since Jeff Pinkus toured with the band last year that there'd be a Melvins release with him handling bass duties. That's been confirmed and it will include Paul Leary as well, also of Butthole Surfers fame. The album is titled "Hold It In" and it will be released October 14th on Ipecac! It's a 12-song full length and was recorded in both Los Angeles and Austin earlier this year.
"Hold It In is a refreshing piece of fiction in a boring world of fact and bullsh*t," said Osborne. "Paul is one of the best guitar players I have ever heard and Pinkus has an outside the box type of approach to both guitar and bass that you just have to let it ride. I can't believe this actually happened. I'm thrilled."
"It's very rare you get a chance to work with three folks from the 'Break A Wish' foundation, all at the same time," said Pinkus. "I believe they'll remember their experience with me forever (or until they finally all lose their fight with S.I.D.S)."
Photo credit: Mackie Osborne; Left to right: Dale Crover, Buzz Osborne, Paul Leary, JD Pinkus
The Melvins kick off a round of U.S. tour dates on Oct. 15 in Sacramento at Assembly, which also includes a performance at this year's Voodoo Experience in New Orleans. Osborne, Crover and Pinkus will be the touring roster for this run of dates. Tickets are on sale this Friday, Aug. 1 at 10AM local time.
- MELVINS - HOLD IT IN U.S. TOUR
- October 15 Sacramento, CA Assembly
- October 17 Bellingham, WA Wild Buffalo House of Music
- October 18 Seattle, WA The Showbox
- October 19 Portland, OR Roseland Theater
- October 21 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
- October 22 San Luis Obispo, CA SLO Brewing
- October 23 Los Angeles, CA The Troubadour
- October 24 San Diego, CA The Casbah
- October 25 Phoenix, AZ The Crescent Ballroom
- October 26 Albuquerque, NM The Launchpad
- October 28 Dallas, TX Trees
- October 29 Austin, TX Mohawk
- October 30 Houston, TX Warehouse Live - Studio
- October 31 New Orleans, LA Voodoo Fest
- November 1 Pensacola, FL Vinyl Music Hall
- November 2 Gainesville, FL The Wooly
- November 3 Jacksonville, FL Jack Rabbit's
- November 4 Orlando, FL The Social
- November 5 Ft. Lauderdale, FL The Culture Room
- November 6 Tampa, FL Orpheum Theater
- November 8 Atlanta, GA The Loft at Center Stage
- November 9 Birmingham, AL Zydeco
Dale just announced that he'll be coming out with a 7" in late August entitled "United Fruit". It'll feature old friend Kevin Rutmanis and Lou Barlow! August is a packed month for Dale, not only did he appear in the new OFF! music video Red White and Black, he's also going to be filling in on drums for them on their August U.S. tour dates!
- OFF! U.S. TOUR DATES W/ DALE ON DRUMS
- 8/6 – Lowbrow Palace – El Paso, TX
- 8/8 – Korova – San Antonio, TX
- 8/9 – Mohawk – Austin, TX
- 8/10 – Siberia – New Orleans, LA
- 8/11 – Spanish Moon – Baton Rouge, LA
- 8/13 – Backbooth – Orlando, FL
- 8/14 – Churchill’s Pub – Miami, FL
- 8/15 – Local 662 – St. Petersburg, FL
- 8/16 – Jack Rabbits – Jacksonville, FL
- 8/18 – Drunken Unicorn – Atlanta, GA
- 8/19 – Kings Barcade – Raleigh, NC
- 8/21 – Rock and Roll Hotel – Washington, DC
- 8/22 – Europa – Brooklyn, NY
- 8/23 – Altar Bar – Pittsburgh, PA
- 8/24 – Grog Shop – Cleveland Heights, OH
While out on tour, Buzz has been doing a series of tour diaries for Noisey, the first four have been posted:
Trying Not to Die in a Fiery Crash
Cops and Hippies
Rednecks, Middle Management Zombies, and KISS
Playing Oddly Named Clubs and Spotting Dead Bodies
Here's the full performance from Buzz's appearance on KEXP in Seattle.
The Hard-Ons are releasing a series of split 7"s for their 30th anniversary and the Melvins will be on one of them. The Melvins one hasn't gone up for pre-order yet so you'll have to keep checking back in order to get in on that. Here's a video of Buzz talking about the Hard-Ons.
Decibel has a nice writeup on the Stoner Witch album in the August issue of their magazine.
Dale played a "secret show" with Dinosaur Jr. on somebody's back porch!
Buzz gave Tone Deaf over in Australia a list/explanation of the Top 5 people that influenced his career: "He didn’t really get famous until he was in his early 40s, and then he worked almost up until the day he died as well, I love that, I love people who do that sort of thing, I’m super excited about that kind of stuff. When he was about to die they asked him whether there was anything he wished he could do more and he said ‘make another movie’." - Buzz on director John Huston
Buzz did an AMA(Ask Me Anything) on Reddit last month - "I got told to "fuck off" by some of the Ozzfest "security" once while Ozzy was getting ready to hit the stage. I told him I was just looking for a place to piss and he told me "fuck off and use the bushes." I had to settle for pissing on the tires of Ozzies tour bus." - Buzz
Some internet controversy was stirred up based on Buzz's comments regarding Kiss in his interview with the Missoula Independent - "As far as I can tell, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are fucked-up alcoholic junkie guys. So I don't think Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley should let those two fuck-ups ruin them. Why should they? Okay, they chose to be alcoholics and fuck-ups, now in doing that they have to face the consequences. Gene Simmons didn't do it, why should he face the consequences?" - Buzz
Poster art by Gumball Designs