What are your top 10 favorite Melvins albums?

Started by Melvinsaniac, August 29, 2008, 09:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Lysol
(a) Senile Animal
Houdini Live
Bullhead
Hostile Ambient Takeover
Stoner Witch
Colossus of Destiny
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Vinyl Trilogy
Pigs of the Roman Empire

norecess

Quote from: Eye in Triangle on November 14, 2008, 08:44:37 AM
Quote from: norecess on November 14, 2008, 08:25:37 AM
Quote from: Eye in Triangle on November 14, 2008, 07:49:16 AM
Anybody else noticing Never Breathe and Sieg Howdy aren't making many appearances in these lists?

Wow, yeah, that is quite surprising.

I expected them to make a few appearances at like 9 or 10. Lots of people like the Dead Kennedys too.

Maybe next time when we're gonna make top 30 lists.

gesundheit

Quote from: norecess on November 14, 2008, 09:42:08 AM
Quote from: Eye in Triangle on November 14, 2008, 08:44:37 AM
Quote from: norecess on November 14, 2008, 08:25:37 AM
Quote from: Eye in Triangle on November 14, 2008, 07:49:16 AM
Anybody else noticing Never Breathe and Sieg Howdy aren't making many appearances in these lists?

Wow, yeah, that is quite surprising.

I expected them to make a few appearances at like 9 or 10. Lots of people like the Dead Kennedys too.

Maybe next time when we're gonna make top 30 lists.

I'm limiting myself to the albums I actually own...So I could only make a top 13 or 14 list at best. Since the Jello albums are exactly that, the Jelvins, I'm not too surprised to see those albums aren't breaking into any "top" Melvins lists. The Melvins are just more effective when Buzzo is fronting. Though I do like several of those songs from Never Breathe and Sieg Howdy. They just aren't in the same category for me. I was wondering though. Since I don't have either of those albums in my possesion. Do the liner notes have any additional guitarists or is that just a live thing?

Stooges

In chronological order:

Gluey Porch Treatments
Bullhead
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Stag
Honky
The Ipecac Trilogy (a hypothetical bootleg pressing that includes all of the songs)
Electroretard
Hostile Ambient Takeover
Pigs of the Roman Empire
Nude with Boots

gesundheit

Quote from: Stooges on November 14, 2008, 01:40:51 PM
The Ipecac Trilogy (a hypothetical bootleg pressing that includes all of the songs)

I almost considered this as part of the list but I had to hold back.

Justafilthylurker

They should just release a box that you can plug your headphones into that has all their songs stored at clearer-than-reality quality in some kind of computer. Inside is some sort of kinetic device and to charge it you simply shake it frantically.

You Look Like Such a

Wait, Millennium Monsterwork wouldn't count for this list, would it?
"The United States should have a net thrown over it, you know?"
-Buzzo

mikewilliamson

Best:

THE MAGGOT
LYSOL
BULLHEAD
HOSTILE AMBIENT TAKEOVER
HOUDINI

Worst:

NUDE WITH BOOTS
Sorry guys...Try as I may I can not get into this new record at all.  To me, it just sounds like a bunch of parts of songs, without a single good song in the whole bunch.  There's a lot of "playing" on the record, but I don't hear much in the way of songwriting.  It all just sounds too busy to me.

Oh well.  One bum record out of, like, 30 aint bad at all.

cara

I know what you mean - it took me a long time to get into NWB and i didn't really love it until i heard the songs live. There's no way i would consider it a "bum record", though. Most Melvins songs are fairly busy and over the top, and i thought NWB was well done.

gesundheit

At first listen, I liked it. Though the more I listen to the older stuff the more I like it better. A Senile Animal is still pretty heavy in my eyes.

grays harbor mafia

the melvins have 10 albums??  SWEEEEEET!!!!!! :P
"the ass is last"      oldfartlips
"im just here for the sex" DC

meezer

1-Stag
2-Houdini
3-Nude With Boots
4-Maggot
5-(a) Senile Animal
6-Hostile Ambient Takeover
7-Stoner Witch
8-Freak Puke
9-Tres Cabrones
10-The Bride Screamed Murder w/ The Bulls & Bees ep
__________________________honorable mentions;
Bullhead
Lysol
Bootlicker
Honky
Ozma
Honky
ElectroRetard
Singles 1-12 (the real songs on it, anyways)
Pigs Of The Roman Empire
Solo Albums (all 3, combined into 1 album)
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

JUDY

No fair! I was just forced to choose my TOP 5!

How can I live with myself now?!

meezer

Quote from: JUDY on April 30, 2014, 09:16:44 AM
No fair! I was just forced to choose my TOP 5!

How can I live with myself now?!
Blame me. I've been checkin' out the topics that the guests are viewing. If I find it interesting, I reply. Notice the time lapse. Topics from '04, '08..... good stuff in my opinion. If that's wrong, I'll just start a new thread about the fake teaser for the fake melvins doc! :ohsnap:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Satchel Paige

in chrono order and stcwaw

bullhead
eggnog
lysol
stag
honky
singles 1-12
maggot
bootlicker
pigs of the roman empire
freak puke