your favorite melvins-sounding band

Started by mullet man, March 20, 2004, 10:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurva

ok
first of all, SLEEP are nowhere near the melvins. there a stoner doom band, with a bad sound (Dopesmoker is ok tho)
second of all what do you mean favorite melvins-sounding band? I mean, bands only sound like the sludgey / ozma / gpt melvins era. then, they started to do shit that nobody even tries to imitate.

third of all, I think you guys should check BURNING WITCH.
some of you might find it boring, like almost every O'Malleys project, but if your into SUNN, you would love the WITCH!!!! one of the heaviest bands if you ask me.
you probably wont hear the melvins in them at the very first listen, but if you listen carefully you will. I think THE MELVINS and EARTH were a big influence to Omalley and you can hear his heavy-ass droning riffage whether its the blackdoom act THORRS HAMMER (beauty!!!!!!!), THE WITCH, KHANATE, OR SUNN.
basiclly TH, BW and KHNT are SUNN with drums. Im not saying it as a bad thing tho. its fuckin HEAVY!

otherwise if some of you havent already, check EYEHATEGOD, HARVEY MILK and NEUROSIS!!!!!!!!!!

Ben

Cloud

Just like your mum does.

Random fact  # 16: All the Misfits best songs start with the letter H.

Ministry Fiend

Hog log

Quote from: lemmy ramone on November 15, 2005, 05:58:54 PM
...once again for the hearing challenged in the room...........

NOBODY
got the message

Ministry Fiend

Quote from: don chente on November 11, 2005, 01:24:25 PM
nirvana   :microwave: :microwave: :microwave:

FUCK OFF!!!!! Part 2!

Like that cat said......NO ONE SOUNDS LIKE THE MELVINS! When i want something other then MELVINS i go for.....MINISTRY, GODFLESH, THE DAMNED (EARLY STUFF), THE REZILLOS!(CAN'T STAND THE REZILLOS), THE RAMONES (OF COURSE!), THE MARK OF CAIN (ILL AT EASE LP), UK SUBS, THE EXPLOITED, THE DAMAGE MANUAL, KILLING JOKE(loved the story of them sueing Cobains ass off for ripping off one of their shit songs! Kurt said in his defence that he'd never even heard of the band let alone heard their music...Then Killing Joke pulled out a fan letter a young Kurt wrote to them! They got lots of money from "Nevermind" sales to say the least after that. But FUCK! what a liar! And he could at least have ripped off one of Killing Jokes cool tracks!), LARD of course, Saul Williams, Shit loads of heavy as FUCK DUB REGGAE!, jungle, proper Hip Hop..not that mtv shite.....JAZZ ,this, that, the other............But there's only one MELVINS! :D

THE DON

Quote from: Ministry Fiend on November 17, 2005, 05:09:52 PM
Quote from: don chente on November 11, 2005, 01:24:25 PM
nirvana   :microwave: :microwave: :microwave:

FUCK OFF!!!!! Part 2!

Like that cat said......NO ONE SOUNDS LIKE THE MELVINS! When i want something other then MELVINS i go for.....MINISTRY, GODFLESH, THE DAMNED (EARLY STUFF), THE REZILLOS!(CAN'T STAND THE REZILLOS), THE RAMONES (OF COURSE!), THE MARK OF CAIN (ILL AT EASE LP), UK SUBS, THE EXPLOITED, THE DAMAGE MANUAL, KILLING JOKE(loved the story of them sueing Cobains ass off for ripping off one of their shit songs! Kurt said in his defence that he'd never even heard of the band let alone heard their music...Then Killing Joke pulled out a fan letter a young Kurt wrote to them! They got lots of money from "Nevermind" sales to say the least after that. But FUCK! what a liar! And he could at least have ripped off one of Killing Jokes cool tracks!), LARD of course, Saul Williams, Shit loads of heavy as FUCK DUB REGGAE!, jungle, proper Hip Hop..not that mtv shite.....JAZZ ,this, that, the other............But there's only one MELVINS! :D

that was a joke. god damn it  :x   
dudumumu

Anti Vermin Seed

BAD RONALD SFO

check out 420 train wreck,,,internet radio..........out of fricso,,,,i think you all will enjoy,,,,bad

AlmightyRetard

Quote from: lemmy ramone on November 12, 2005, 04:44:08 AM
nobody sounds like melvins

I agree, no one plays in their league but there's still bands that remind me of them.

Sleep
Mastodon
Grief
Eyehategod
I like fucking corpses

klump

Quote from: AlmightyRetard on November 18, 2005, 05:10:06 AM
Quote from: lemmy ramone on November 12, 2005, 04:44:08 AM
nobody sounds like melvins

I agree, no one plays in their league but there's still bands that remind me of them.

Sleep
Mastodon
Grief
Eyehategod

mastodons version of the bit sucks.
I actually heaved while listening to it.

norecess

This thread is funny. Everyone - including myself I believe - is just name dropping his/her favorite bands and none of 'em come close to the Melvins. Yesterday I was listening to Burning Witch who, according to Kurva, sound very familiar to the Melvins, and I just couldn't hear it. Probably everyone just tries to hear a Melvins-influence, something I do as well, to try to make that band sound better.