Melvins Appreciation Thread

Started by (the) Razor, November 08, 2008, 05:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(the) Razor

Stupid thread, but does anyone else listen to this stupid band at least 5 times a week?

It's like I've never been so addicted to a band and I've been listening to them for the most part of this decade. I mean, I've gone through phases my whole life - had different favourite bands -  but no one has stayed on top of my list as long as these guys.

I know some of you have been listening to them since the 80's on this board or early 90's....So what is it about the Melvins that makes you still want to listen to them after all these years?
Don't click this

Mad Arab

You can't buy them at a Wal-Mart store.

nothintothenotice

im the same way, i have crazy pink floyd obsessions and some others, but nothing has lasted this lond, i still listen to asa all the time, i have listen to the melvins everyday of my life for the last 10 years. im beginning to think its an unhealthy obsession. but it makes me happier then shit. IT JUST NEVER GETS OLD!

cara

i think its becuase theres always something new to discover about them - even on albums i've listened to 1000 times like Houdini, i always have a new favorite and something new i like about it. Plus you can always stray from the Melvins for a while to try to find something heavier but never will. You'll always go back.

Idlehanz

Melvins are the only thing that doesn't disappoint me during the day.

Oh, and the girlfriend too         :wink:

turnacus

I mean, yeah. I used to really be into Nirvana and Tool and Rage and Nine Inch Nails, but then I heard honey bucket and I've been obsessed with them since. I popped my cherry with them in 2002 in terms of live shows.

I also managed to hook about 3 people into the Melvins world, as well as get others to listen to them somewhat. I remember in my history class in 11th grade, tapping out the drum beat to Halo of Flies from the House of Blues show, and doing a call and response thing with my friend. The first song I ever learned on bass was "Oven", and now my band can do a sweet Oven/Anaconda rock off.

I am not obsessed with them 24-7, but it seems like a bi-polar mania. I'll go long periods of time without hearing them, and then listen to all their albums and take them in again, listening to them from both my virginal 15 year old perspective, as well my current self.

To me, they are forever my Led Zeppelin. Except they keep touring and keep making music. It's not like they have a good song, or a good album. They have a grand artistic perspective, which means most of their albums are going to be interesting, if nothing else. Their music, their art, their lyrics, their shows.... it's all interesting. Their artbook, their merch, it's all good.

They are connected intimately to the bands that were huge in the early 90's, except instead of going mainstream when signed, they just mutated into I guess what they would consider "mainstream", out-Slayering Slayer on Honey Bucket, and just being weird. Oh and they opened for huge bands too.

They can play with Gene Simmons, who is the definition of excess in rock, and Jello Biafra, who might be the most opposite.

Yeah I love them.

Van Hagar

grays harbor mafia

"the ass is last"      oldfartlips
"im just here for the sex" DC

You Look Like Such a

Seriously, man. Nobody comes close. Other bands come and go, but Melvins are ALWAYS.
"The United States should have a net thrown over it, you know?"
-Buzzo

FartLips

i hardly ever listen to them. i have it all memorized.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

(the) Razor

I might have to try that. I think I've already done that with Simpsons seasons 2 to 6.
Don't click this

Uncle Fester

i didnt find the melvins...they found me and made me listen to each and every one of their albums...since then I cant say I have beent he same....

gesundheit

The Hostile Ambient Takeover album has been stuck in the cd player of my truck for the past few months. I am contemplating whether or not Brain Center at Whipples is the best rock and roll song of all time ever in the eternity of rock and roll songs..in existence. ever.

Enough said.

cara

Quote from: Uncle Fester on November 11, 2008, 04:02:17 PM
i didnt find the melvins...they found me and made me listen to each and every one of their albums...since then I cant say I have beent he same....

that sounds violent.

norecess

Quote from: Uncle Fester on November 11, 2008, 04:02:17 PM

Repeat after me: 'I am the same'. Say it, it's easy.

No but of course you haven't been the same, no one ever does, silly.

Smoghler

The Melvins made me drink more and more beer... so, thanks for that!
"They were playing guitars and getting loud and they spilled beer on Jesus" (Daniel Johnston)