Possible Melvins Book

Started by Rev. Mike, December 04, 2008, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Mike

Looks like someone submitted a proposal to the 33 1/3 series of books on a Melvins album.  They will probably only pick 20 or so books out of all their proposals, which they typically have a few hundred of, but there is a chance.

http://33third.blogspot.com/2008/11/50-and-counting.html

Full disclosure, the someone who submitted a proposal is me, and the album is Lysol.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Good luck!  Do you get a percentage of sales?  How does 33 1/3 work?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

rimb

Nice work Mike and fingers crossed!

I am the Sun

There's only like, 4 interesting choices on that list, those choices being Melvins, Big Black, Sigur Ros, and Ol Dirty Bastard. If they do at least one of those books then I'm happy.

Rev. Mike

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on December 04, 2008, 12:13:26 PM
Good luck!  Do you get a percentage of sales?  How does 33 1/3 work?

I would get royalties, plus an initial modest advance against royalties.  They say they shoot to sell 4-5000 copies of any book.  I bet they haven't done that with the Throbbing Gristle book thoug. 
Thanks for the support.  If I get the contract I hope  everyone buys a copy just to discredit me and talk shit on the infranet.
So far I have interviewed Buzz, Dale, Tom Flynn, Tom Hazelmeyer and I am waiting on interviews from Billy Anderson, Jonathan Burnside and Chris Dodge.  If anyone knows how to get a hold of Joe it would be a massive help.  Also, if any of the old schoolers who knew the band in WA would consent to an interview, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

glen

hey mike.. have you tried to reach joe at the thrones myspace page?
I realize the ignorant simplicity of this but it might just work.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Rev. Mike

Quote from: glen on December 04, 2008, 01:45:27 PM
hey mike.. have you tried to reach joe at the thrones myspace page?
I realize the ignorant simplicity of this but it might just work.

I did, thank you, no response.  I can understand he might be reticent about the whole thing.  I am hoping that if I get the contract and can demonstrate I am not just some wing nut that I may get a response.  I wish I had the idea last spring when I saw Thrones.  I chatted him up for a few minutes and he seemed willing to talk.  Of course I had not brought up the dreaded M word in the conversation.

perusha

Why did you choose Lysol?  Just curious.
Good luck though.  Hope it works out for you. 

I am the Sun

I would've chosen POTRE (even though they'd probably be kind of secretive about who did what) HAT, or Crybaby, because I think there's probably more to the recording process for each of those albums, but who knows? Maybe there's more to Lysol than meets the ear.

cara

Quote from: NickP on December 04, 2008, 12:46:15 PM
There's only like, 4 interesting choices on that list, those choices being Melvins, Big Black, Sigur Ros, and Ol Dirty Bastard. If they do at least one of those books then I'm happy.

I would also be interested in King Crimson or Low.

Rev. Mike

I chose Lysol for many reasons.  It's my favorite Melvins album and next to Ozma it is probably the one I have spent the most time listening to.  It's sort of shrouded in mystery, people have speculated a lot about it, but even 16 years later not too much is known about it beyond the music itself.  Overall, I think it has an interesting story.  Joe got kicked out before the thing was even released, the band got signed to a major label, the company that owned Lysol got wind of it and wanted all copies destroyed.  The band was on the brink of many things.  It was a transitive time and a benchmark album.  It's kind of like a lost album that we get to listen to.  Also, since the album was delayed for so long I can get into the beginning of the Houdini story too.  Keep in mind that this is a book which must keep an audience's attention for 40,000 or so words, people who may not necessarily be Melvins obsessives.  I think I have also found out a bit that will surprise even some of the Melvins obsessives too.  I think it will be a good book if I get the contract.

GrimReaper

Mike, I appreciate your cognizant view of the mighty Melvins. Lysol works for me.

black stallion

Quote from: Rev. Mike on December 04, 2008, 10:54:57 PM
I chose Lysol for many reasons.  It's my favorite Melvins album and next to Ozma it is probably the one I have spent the most time listening to.  It's sort of shrouded in mystery, people have speculated a lot about it, but even 16 years later not too much is known about it beyond the music itself.  Overall, I think it has an interesting story.  Joe got kicked out before the thing was even released, the band got signed to a major label, the company that owned Lysol got wind of it and wanted all copies destroyed.  The band was on the brink of many things.  It was a transitive time and a benchmark album.  It's kind of like a lost album that we get to listen to.  Also, since the album was delayed for so long I can get into the beginning of the Houdini story too.  Keep in mind that this is a book which must keep an audience's attention for 40,000 or so words, people who may not necessarily be Melvins obsessives.  I think I have also found out a bit that will surprise even some of the Melvins obsessives too.  I think it will be a good book if I get the contract.
you bring an interesting conversation with that and i fully agree with everything you just said, love your choice Mike :D!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Smoghler

"They were playing guitars and getting loud and they spilled beer on Jesus" (Daniel Johnston)

Rev. Mike

Thank you.  I appreciate the positivity.