Nude With Boots -StonerRock.com #1 album of 2008

Started by >>>JZS<<<, May 08, 2009, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen

that whole list is pretty solid.  but the cream rises.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

anaconda

Harvey Milk, Witch and Dozer all should have ranked alot higher.

GrimReaper

For the Melvins to put out a record at 24 years and have it top a list is amazing. It shows they are still a relevant band and not just on a geriatric tour rehashing old glories.

You have to love the Melvins.

seas of luck

=D&gt;

I thought the album was near perfect when it leaked and I only love it more as time goes by. 

anaconda

Maybe I have to go back and re-assess it. Besides Dog Island and a couple
others it sounded too jammy and whipped together for me.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: anaconda on May 08, 2009, 08:24:13 PM
Maybe I have to go back and re-assess it. Besides Dog Island and a couple
others it sounded too jammy and whipped together for me.

Are you insane?.......jammy?

anaconda

it did, alot of it seems jammy. I'll give it another go.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: anaconda on May 08, 2009, 10:09:37 PM
it did, alot of it seems jammy. I'll give it another go.

Wait, listen to a Phish record first, just so your Jammy Meter is properly calibrated , then throw on NWB.  :)

cara

that list is mostly solid, although i was slightly surprised to see the Metallica album made it. Anyways I put my vote in.

(the) Razor

Melvins were on a roll when it came to vocals on the last few releases Bootlicker....Maggot.....HAT, it was getting better and better -  but I can't stand this double shouting crap that sounds like it's always in 5.1 surround sound. Maybe it's the inferior mixing....but anyway, Jared can play a mean bass for sure, but the shouting gets old real quick.
Don't click this

black stallion

Quote from: anaconda on May 08, 2009, 10:09:37 PM
it did, alot of it seems jammy
i can see what you mean conda.btw,you're not the one thinking that:

http://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/recordreview/2009mar/nudewithboots
The Melvins are not a Grunge or Hardcore band though, and Nude With Boots is considerably more jammy than (A) Senile Animal was. With (A) Senile Animal, each song had a very tight structure and that was only broken for the ends of songs in which almost every track dissolved into a drum battle between Warren and Crover. But Nude With Boots is different, looser in many circumstances and with less of the grounded feel than it
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

anaconda

i listened again lastnight and here's my thoughts,

kicking machine seems like a reworked zeppelin thing, sort of generic 70's rock
dog island is slow and chunky, pulls you along, has the magic of the old melvins
billy fish i had heard already before the record came out, so it doesn't stand out
dies iraea is plodding and dirgey, but shows them mining new ideas, i like it
suicide in progress i had heard before the album came out, so it's a bit boring
smiling cobra is damn good, one of my favorite songs on the record, lots of variety in it
nude with boots almost sounds like a rush song in parts, lakeside park comes to mind
flush is a throwaway kind of track, it would fit on an altamont record, seems out of place here
stupid creep is another reworked generic 70's rock kind of thing, sort of like i've heard it before
the savage hippy i had heard already when it was called something nasty, it seems out of place on here
it tastes better than the truth seems like filler, i can't sit through the song, i fast forward

>>>JZS<<<

The Smiling Cobra is my favorite song on NWB......they never play it live. :(