the melvins are super bad ass.

Started by the ether bunny, May 12, 2009, 05:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the ether bunny

i came home earlier this evening with a high that consisted of a cocktail of intoxicants. i slapped on some headphones, and listened to a decent chunk of the melvins discography. ive been stuck on (A)SA and nude with boots for some time, and havent given everything else the attention they deserve.

in short.... best. band. ever.

so now i make this thread. why do you think the melvins are super bad ass? what are your fond memories involve this band? how many of you lost your virginity with dale crover pounded a beat in the background?

a fond memory of mine? while working in the pro audio department at a guitar center, i was stuck working on setting up displays until the wee hours of the morning. i ran stoner witch through the room with all of the live sound equipment at around 90 dB. that was probably the most fun ive ever had while getting paid.

run with it.
he was a mongoloid.

(the) Razor

A good story, you sound like me - not knowing what it is that makes you to keep on listening. Maybe because each album lives in it's own little universe? Maybe it's the way the bass players changed the eras and made things so interesting? Who knows? Who cares? Just enjoy it.

You're lucky though - I have to listen to Melvins at tiny volume levels on headphones at work - the lack of volume sucks. But at home it's different.

There is no other band that has ever caught my attention as much as this band. I usually go through year phases of bands but Melvins stick.
Don't click this

>>>JZS<<<

I think 'super bad ass' is an understatement.

Like Stee

satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

>>>JZS<<<

In the late '90's I blew out the woofer on one of my Klipsh floor standing speakers about a week after buying them. I blew it cranking 'At The Stake', from Stoner Witch. When I called the shop and told them what happened they didn't believe me. They said there was no way that the speaker could be blown after a week & to bring them both in. So I brought them in, let them hook 'em up. They put on some bullshit pop cd & said they sounded fine. I pulled Stoner Witch out of my jacket, put 'At the Stake' on at about 6 on the volume.......After about 45 seconds the two guys just stood there shaking their heads in disbelief........Long story short, I walked out of there with a new pair of  speakers,(after testing them of course) no extra charge.
I just love the fact that the Melvins killed a pair of high end speakers with one song. :D

dijk cheese

i like how you carry a copy of stoner witch in your jacket pocket.
i say i can't, but i really mean i won't.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: dijk cheese on May 12, 2009, 03:09:17 PM
Well, I had to prove their speakers were defective. Thanks Melvins.

FartLips

Quote from: dijk cheese on May 12, 2009, 03:09:17 PM

stoner witch WEARS the jacket.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Like Stee

Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on May 12, 2009, 02:52:49 PM
In the late '90's I blew out the woofer on one of my Klipsh floor standing speakers about a week after buying them. I blew it cranking 'At The Stake', from Stoner Witch. When I called the shop and told them what happened they didn't believe me. They said there was no way that the speaker could be blown after a week & to bring them both in. So I brought them in, let them hook 'em up. They put on some bullshit pop cd & said they sounded fine. I pulled Stoner Witch out of my jacket, put 'At the Stake' on at about 6 on the volume.......After about 45 seconds the two guys just stood there shaking their heads in disbelief........Long story short, I walked out of there with a new pair of  speakers,(after testing them of course) no extra charge.
I just love the fact that the Melvins killed a pair of high end speakers with one song. :D

One of my all time favorite Melvins songs.

My co-worker who worked for a very high end pro audio speaker manufacturer for years just did the same thing to his speakers over the weekend listening to sunnO))).  That's usually a sign of improper mastering, but in the case of the Melvins I'd be surprised if that was the case.  That was one of their Atlantic releases, and as such was probably professionally mastered.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Uncle Fester

Quote from: Like Stee on May 12, 2009, 04:31:20 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on May 12, 2009, 02:52:49 PM

One of my all time favorite Melvins songs.

My co-worker who worked for a very high end pro audio speaker manufacturer for years just did the same thing to his speakers over the weekend listening to sunnO))).  That's usually a sign of improper mastering, but in the case of the Melvins I'd be surprised if that was the case.  That was one of their Atlantic releases, and as such was probably professionally mastered.
stoner witch is a really bassey album. especially that particular song "at the stake".
Hip Hop rap music blows your speakers too. too much dadumpta thump.

glen

those live moments when MELVINS test the meddle of the audience before them.
irratation and a one way ticket to the street for some.  goosebumps for yours truly.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

I am the Sun

That's one of my favorite things about Melvins live shows: They'll give you a good show but they'll make you work for it first. I loved how they opened the Lysol/Eggnog show with feedback and Charmicarmicat, it's a great way to weed out the casual fans.

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on May 12, 2009, 08:26:55 AM
I think 'super bad ass' is an understatement.

I agree.

I think they are super DUPER bad ass!

Uncle Fester

Quote from: I am the Sun on May 17, 2009, 07:41:58 PM
That's one of my favorite things about Melvins live shows: They'll give you a good show but they'll make you work for it first. I loved how they opened the Lysol/Eggnog show with feedback and Charmicarmicat, it's a great way to weed out the casual fans.
before the jello and melvins set they played wesley willis "cut the mullet" on repeat. first time I ever heard him too.

I am the Sun

that's awesome! Did David Scott Stone open when you saw them? The security guards looked like they were about ready to kill themselves by the time his set was over