Toshi's production on Melvins albums

Started by Leroy, June 08, 2009, 12:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitches of Copacabana

I thought I read somewhere the drums on Lysol were triggered samples from "Houses of the Holy"
"Be-bop boot and shoe, ding dong the bell has been rang."

Justafilthylurker

Just the snare.

Toshi doesn't produce, the Melvins produce. Toshi just hits record. They were already going with a thinner drum sound on the Trilogy stuff, probably because it makes it different to the older stuff, which Buzz is very much in favour of.

Uncle Fester

Quote from: FART LIPS on June 08, 2009, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: glen on June 08, 2009, 01:18:47 PM
serious as serious gets.

go listen.  I'm telling you.  pop in (A)SA right now.  skip to blood witch.
you don't hear that?

it bugs me.  the song is supposed to be sharp and bursty.   now listen to a live version of the same track. the compression is gone. it sounds so much better.

MELVINS are the greatest sound making machine of all time.  no question.
but its okay to find some fault once in a while.  they'll forgive me for it.

and hey stallion.. the drums on WWS sound 197% mindblowing.   did toshi record them? me thinks not.    besides.. I'm not knocking the sound of the drums. I'm knocking the failure to remove what I hear as a glitch.    and if I may be so bold as to rebutt myself.. I would venture to guess that buzz osborne might say "its supposed to sound like that".
personally i think albini should handle the drums.
word.
I said that a long time ago here and I got shit for it.

Leroy

Albini is great, yes, but not all the time.  I hate to say it, but the drum sound on some of the tracks on Silkworm's "Firewater" CD, of which he recorded, leaves much to be desired. I know he was probably going for that sound, but it sounds kinda washed out and doesn't stack up to the other fine Silkworm albums he recorded.

Uncle Fester

Quote from: Leroy on June 10, 2009, 09:28:37 AM
Albini is great, yes, but not all the time.  I hate to say it, but the drum sound on some of the tracks on Silkworm's "Firewater" CD, of which he recorded, leaves much to be desired. I know he was probably going for that sound, but it sounds kinda washed out and doesn't stack up to the other fine Silkworm albums he recorded.
out of the thousands of records the guy has recorded... Im sure there theres going to be some blemishes on some of them.
He does a killer drum and bass sound... But I cant imagine how he would get buzz's guitar to sound.

anaconda

My favorite record that Albini has engineered is HOF-Blessed Black Wings,
followed very closely by Rapeman-Two Nuns and a Pack Mule

Leroy

I didn't know that Albini worked on Blessed Black Wings.   The sound quality on that album is a lot different than any indie rock record he has done.  Albini can sure switch it up.

Uncle Fester

not bad for an analog loyalist. :lol:
albini's a douche but I love him.

Like Stee

Quote from: Uncle Fester on June 10, 2009, 03:44:46 PM

My feeling exactly.  The dude's a total weirdo (he makes his interns and assistants wear orange jumpsuits), but he can record some damn fine drums.  OM's Pilgrimage is another good example.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Uncle Fester

Quote from: Like Stee on June 10, 2009, 04:24:53 PM
Quote from: Uncle Fester on June 10, 2009, 03:44:46 PM

My feeling exactly.  The dude's a total weirdo (he makes his interns and assistants wear orange jumpsuits), but he can record some damn fine drums.  OM's Pilgrimage is another good example.
I like the weird.... its his views on certain things I cant really relate to... but who cares?

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

Quote from: Leroy on June 08, 2009, 12:17:54 PM
Just out of curiousity, why do some people have a problem with Toshi's production on some of the Melvins albums?  I think it's just fine.  It's not overproduced, and despite everything the guitar is still mixed fine and crisp.

Because the miscreants have tin ears, that's why.
I'd rather be at Dodger Stadium...

grays harbor mafia

ITS ALL ABOUT PHIL SPECTOR!! i think he shoudl produce a jail house rock album!!
"the ass is last"      oldfartlips
"im just here for the sex" DC

Mad Arab

I like Toshi's production. Didn't he record HAT as well?

Leroy

yes, he did HAT, and even played some keyboards on it a little bit.  He was also the engineer for POTRE.