Author Topic: The Melvins in 2020...  (Read 1536 times)

Offline ))))((((

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
Re: The Melvins in 2020...
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
I feel like every Melvins album is made with a specific purpose or agenda.
Agreed! That definitely does seem to be the case more so lately. Buzz has an idea and then they run with it. Initially i wasn't too sure about all that, but now im okay with this process. It makes for some interesting changes/dynamics. Fun too!

But, could even Melvins put out 13 good albums in a year? I'm not a Mars Volta fan at all- is that OR-L stuff good at all... or is it just quantiity?
I haven't listened to those Omar albums so i don't know. I know he tends to record all the time and then just puts the recordings on the shelf to be released at some point. So i suppose it's not quite true that they are rushed or recorded back to back or brand new.

As far as Melvins i think they are somewhat the same. It does seem that they record quite a bit of stuff and then that just sits around waiting for Ipecac to decide when it's best to release it. So i presume the band do have some material in the vaults ready to go. The Void Manes collab, the 50 Melvins Lite unreleased songs and (unless it was a joke from Pinkus) we know there's that Rolling Stones covers album 'Sticky Feet' too. So that's potentially 3 there! However no i don't think Melvins could release 13 records in a year, but i was just using that as an example. I could imagine them putting out 4 or 5 though if they have that backlog of material. Whether it would be good or not, well who knows. Like Buzz said he could put out a record once every 2 or 3 years but he would have still recorded it quickly and exactly the same. Bands back in the day used to put out 2 records a year sometimes so why not now!

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 09:52:11 AM »
I feel like every Melvins album is made with a specific purpose or agenda.
Agreed! That definitely does seem to be the case more so lately. Buzz has an idea and then they run with it. Initially i wasn't too sure about all that, but now im okay with this process. It makes for some interesting changes/dynamics. Fun too!

But, could even Melvins put out 13 good albums in a year? I'm not a Mars Volta fan at all- is that OR-L stuff good at all... or is it just quantiity?
I haven't listened to those Omar albums so i don't know. I know he tends to record all the time and then just puts the recordings on the shelf to be released at some point. So i suppose it's not quite true that they are rushed or recorded back to back or brand new.

As far as Melvins i think they are somewhat the same. It does seem that they record quite a bit of stuff and then that just sits around waiting for Ipecac to decide when it's best to release it. So i presume the band do have some material in the vaults ready to go. The Void Manes collab, the 50 Melvins Lite unreleased songs and (unless it was a joke from Pinkus) we know there's that Rolling Stones covers album 'Sticky Feet' too. So that's potentially 3 there! However no i don't think Melvins could release 13 records in a year, but i was just using that as an example. I could imagine them putting out 4 or 5 though if they have that backlog of material. Whether it would be good or not, well who knows. Like Buzz said he could put out a record once every 2 or 3 years but he would have still recorded it quickly and exactly the same. Bands back in the day used to put out 2 records a year sometimes so why not now!

All good points- I sort of forgot that it appears they basically have 4 or 5 albums recorded already, as you point out.

Also, I back the 2 albums a year standard, as you say. Bowie, Judas Priest, Queen and others put out their best material in that time frame.

Offline JASONALEXANDER

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 02:22:05 AM »
2020 could be an exiting year for Melvins!