5.7 Houdini Live
5.6 Hostile Ambient Takeover
5.5 Basses Loaded
5.3 Mangled Demos from 1983
5.2 The Bride Screamed Murder
4.9 Millennium Monsterwork

Quote from: LuckMach3 on April 01, 2016, 09:58:14 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on March 31, 2016, 02:26:19 PM
What about Basses Loaded. An appearance by Krist will surely add a few points!

It'll probably get a 6.1 with the reviewer moaning the Krist wasn't on the whole album.

Wow, I was pretty close!  I made that guess back before I had even heard the album!   :lol:

I stopped reading the review after reading the first sentence which implied for the first time ever The Melvins ran out of energy.  Strange considering they already said Houdini live was limp wristed and they gave a lower score to Bride Screamed Murder.

I did do a quick search for Novoselic's names and sure enough found the line, "Only the warped psychedelia of "Maybe I Am Amused," which features Nirvana's Krist Novoselic, legitimately goes down avenues the band hasn't explored before."  I came pretty close with that prediction too! 

I don't want to link to the review and give them more traffic.  Most fans think it's great!   8)
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

jack5990

This guy must be full of positives to give a score like 5.5, he barely looks at the meat of the album.
like seriously, Captain Comedown and War Pussy get no mention and those two songs alone at least give the album at least a 6.
This review leaves me scratching my head....
Boris knows and Boris likes it all

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

johnnyg

I like how the pitchfork review only gets to the 2nd and 3rd sentence before contradicting itself, directly.

"Since their debut Gluey Porch Treatments almost three decades ago, the Melvins have barely wavered from the lumbering adamantine groove that made them so hugely influential on countless grunge, sludge, and alt-metal acts. At the same time, the group's nucleus, frontman Buzz Osborne and drummer Dale Crover, have jumped at opportunities to experiment for the better part of their history. "

Quote from: LuckMach3 on June 06, 2016, 01:16:10 AM

Wow, I was pretty close!  I made that guess back before I had even heard the album!   :lol:

I stopped reading the review after reading the first sentence which implied for the first time ever The Melvins ran out of energy.  Strange considering they already said Houdini live was limp wristed and they gave a lower score to Bride Screamed Murder.

I did do a quick search for Novoselic's names and sure enough found the line, "Only the warped psychedelia of "Maybe I Am Amused," which features Nirvana's Krist Novoselic, legitimately goes down avenues the band hasn't explored before."  I came pretty close with that prediction too! 

I don't want to link to the review and give them more traffic.  Most fans think it's great!   8)

(PAUL)

Eh, screw them. They have the fatal flaw of reviewing albums on what they want them to sound like, as opposed to reviewing what they actually do sound like.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

EGO the Living Planet

Quote from: (PAUL) on June 06, 2016, 05:33:07 PM
Eh, screw them. They have the fatal flaw of reviewing albums on what they want them to sound like, as opposed to reviewing what they actually do sound like.

I don't know how true it still is because I basically stopped reading but I used to say that they reviewed how cool a record is rather than how good.

Captain CoryCory

7.8 Chicken Switch
7.7 Crystal Fairy - Crystal Fairy
7.3 Never Breathe What You Can't See
7.3 A Senile Animal
7.0 Nude With Boots
7.0 Three Men and a Baby
7.0 Dale Crover - The Fickle Finger of Fate
6.7 The Crybaby
6.7 Freak Puke
6.6 A Walk With Love and Death
6.5 Everybody Loves Sausages
6.1 Hold It In
5.7 Houdini Live
5.6 Hostile Ambient Takeover
5.5 Basses Loaded
5.3 Mangled Demos from 1983
5.2 The Bride Screamed Murder
4.9 Millennium Monsterwork

I agree that most recent review is insanely harsh, even if I somehow wasn't a diehard fan. I honestly wondered if they were even going to review it at all up to this point, really it'd have been better off not doing one at all.

johnnyg

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on August 14, 2017, 11:36:05 AM
I agree that most recent review is insanely harsh, even if I somehow wasn't a diehard fan. I honestly wondered if they were even going to review it at all up to this point, really it'd have been better off not doing one at all.

The Dale review seemed especially mean to me. I do wonder what is the cause of the grudge.

Captain CoryCory

Buzz throws a nice little jab right back at Pitchfork here...

"Odds and Sods: Still one of my favorites from one of my favorite bands. A very strange album. I think it stands as the best pop-art record ever made. It would be interesting to hand a copy of Odds and Sods to any of the reviewers at Pitchfork and tell them it was a new album from an unknown band. I guarantee they'd call it gimmicky and give it a shitty review ... Unless of course it was the new Radiohead record, then they'd declare it the greatest album of all time."

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/know-your-product/Content?oid=11331842

Chief Ten Beers

Wow, I'm a longtime Who fan, and I think Odds & Sods is a snoozefest.  Basically a quickly thrown together album of leftovers to please the record company at the time between Quadrophenia & By Numbers. It's just too all over the place, stuff ranging from the early days to songs that weren't good enough for Who's Next. A few of the songs are great, some are easily filler. That was the first Who album I owned, on 8-track no less. I recently traded in my vinyl of it, because it just collected dust.

Live @ Leeds on vinyl and the expanded version on CD is the only Who I really need along with the Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy set.

PepsiMike

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on September 03, 2017, 03:56:22 PM
Wow, I'm a longtime Who fan, and I think Odds & Sods is a snoozefest.  Basically a quickly thrown together album of leftovers to please the record company at the time between Quadrophenia & By Numbers. It's just too all over the place, stuff ranging from the early days to songs that weren't good enough for Who's Next. A few of the songs are great, some are easily filler. That was the first Who album I owned, on 8-track no less. I recently traded in my vinyl of it, because it just collected dust.

Live @ Leeds on vinyl and the expanded version on CD is the only Who I really need along with the Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy set.
Live at Leeds is the bees knees.

))))((((

Okay, im Mr Negative here, but honestly i've never been able to get into The Who. Although not all their material, it sounds so silly and goofy. So "of it's age" you could say. Fairly recently i attempted Tommy again and just couldn't hack it after 15 minutes or so. It's weird because i enjoy The Beatles who are also pretty goofy at times but i think that was because i got into them BEFORE hearing heavier music. Listening to The Who just makes me think "why am i listening to this when i could be hearing something i actually enjoy?".

johnnyg

Place your bets for Pitchfork's review of Pinkus Abortion Technician right now, before any music is released. I say pitchfork gives it a 6.7