Author Topic: Three Men and a Baby  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Three Men and a Baby
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
First review isn't too hot:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/features/ae/3998124-album-review-mike-melvins-effort-sadly-not-worth-wait

The guy is entitled to his opinion but saying, "the Melvins made people wait nearly two decades for an album" makes it sound like Chinese Democracy.  I was under the impression most of us thought the whole thing was cancelled and we'd get the demos at some point on a boxset of unreleased material.

Best part of the album? The production. It was nice to hear new material under a different producer. I like Toshi/Melvins production, but all Melvins since 2002 have been recorded by Toshi, so there is a certain "sameness" to the overall sound of their records. This was a nice change for the ears.

I agree to an extent.  I really like the production on The Maggot but here...it's hard to explain.  To me it's almost like the production job wasn't finished or something.  The album sounds unlistenable through certain speakers around my apartment.  Through my Bose headphones it still sounds...lacking in some way. 

Toshi does a fine job but I would like to hear someone else every other record just to mix it up a bit.

Its got a Great amount of Godheadsilo in the recording, you should listen to them more!
"I never liked the Melvins, I never listened to the Melvins, I thought their music was Garbage"

Offline the ether bunny

• Handler
  • Quiet intensity, noisy calm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 01:42:32 AM »
Lyrically, this is my favorite Melvins album

"This used to be the future, but now it's just shit."
"I don't like your kids but you do!"
he was a mongoloid.

Offline black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »
Lyrically, this is my favorite Melvins album

"This used to be the future, but now it's just shit."
"I don't like your kids but you do!"

8)
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 06:48:43 AM »
This album is just so much icing on the cake. It gets better with every listen and we already got all that great stuff from that era to begin with.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
It gets better with every listen
That's true. I still don't really class it as a masterpiece or anything like that but it's a good record. An interesting record in their discography, existing a bit like how 'You Know You're Right' does as a posthumously released Nirvana song. I'd say perhaps Three Men And A Baby gets a 8/10 from me. Which is very surprising because on my first few listens i wouldn't have gone above a 5.

Offline PepsiMike

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
I wonder if you play this album along with the Ted Danson movie, if it lines up like Pink Floyd and the wizard of oz?

Offline Mints

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
 :lol: