The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickoctane

Quote from: Angus Khan on May 06, 2010, 04:51:57 PM
Los Angelians are so lucky.  I'd move there if it wasn't for earthquakes, sharks and drive bys.
And you're the one who started the stereotype thread. Well, I'm off to go get some sushi before my consultation for massive plastic surgery.

Angus Khan

Quote from: nickoctane on May 06, 2010, 04:57:56 PM
Quote from: Angus Khan on May 06, 2010, 04:51:57 PM
Los Angelians are so lucky.  I'd move there if it wasn't for earthquakes, sharks and drive bys.
And you're the one who started the stereotype thread. Well, I'm off to go get some sushi before my consultation for massive plastic surgery.
Don't do it Nick you're beautiful.  Ok drive bys are a stereotype and sharks can be avoided but earthquakes are pretty fucking terrifying and you can't really dodge them.
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

Mad Arab

Angus Khan you don't know if everyone in here that got wind of the leak will buy the album. Again that's just pastel logic. Of course everyone will say they will though to justify their thievery. Less than a month away and people don't want to wait...

ManWithNoName

Oh thou holiest of the holy, let your light shine down upon us!

Like Stee

I have to say, I agree with norecess and others... to an extent.  I felt that BB had ruined the Melvins in the past, and I'm still not enamored with ASA and NWB.  But this album really is the best thing they've done with BB so far, and a vast improvement over the last two.  It's the best album since Pigs, which is to say, not as good as Pigs.  I still miss Kevin, like I think a number of fans here do, and I miss Dale drumming solo (way heavier than dueling drums every time), but that said this is the new Melvins, and the new Melvins have just made a giant leap forward from ASA and NWB.  It's got a bit of everything.  The only classic Melvins album that's really missing for me personally is the slow heavy  (See How Pretty, Hag Me, At The Stake, Anti-Vermin Seed).  My Generation comes close, but doesn't quite make it to that former level of heavy they used to reach fairly regularly.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Like Stee

Quote from: ManWithNoName on May 06, 2010, 05:23:08 PM
Oh thou douchiest of the enimas, let your shit spray down upon us!

Fixed.

Angus Khan

Quote from: The 5th Horsemen on May 06, 2010, 05:17:04 PM
Angus Khan you don't know if everyone in here that got wind of the leak will buy the album. Again that's just pastel logic. Of course everyone will say they will though to justify their thievery. Less than a month away and people don't want to wait...
I trust my brothers.
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

ManWithNoName

I could understand that ASA and NWB rubbed people the wrong way, it had a strong classic rock feel to it. That's fine, I understand that. But, man, this one is just too damn good. It sounds like nothing they've ever done.

IMO, the fact that Kevin was held in such high regard as the bassist par excellence for the Melvins has a lot to do with some people not being all that into the Melvins/BB.

At the same time, though, isn't it kind of ironic that so many people here went ape shit over Here Come the Waterworks, rightly so, only to turn on BB once they were usurped by the Melvins.  :-k

gesundheit

Quote from: pinkyslim on May 06, 2010, 04:43:51 PM
Quote from: nickoctane on May 06, 2010, 04:40:02 PM
Quote from: gesundheit on May 06, 2010, 04:30:35 PM
Quote from: nickoctane on May 06, 2010, 04:06:27 PM
What's the big deal? Listen now, buy on June 1st (I'll be buying it at the murch table to ensure the Melvins get as much of my money as possible). There, my conscious is clear.

I just prefer to hear it live first, I believe I've stated this opinion on numerous occasions (but that was, shit, like 30 pages ago)...and I could care less about downloading it...

It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Well, for this album at least. It would be interesting if I tried to do that for every album from now on too. I have a good chance at that as long as I can hit up one of the shows early on in the album's tour. They usually start somewhere on the west coast.
See you at the Casbah?

If no LA shows are announced..I will make the drive..
I have a sneaky suspicion the MELVINS will announce an AMOEBA day set and a Troubador set. :-k

Obviously, I'll be at the Casbah show and I've been sayin' that shit about LA for days...I feel so...neglected...

Poster, t-shirt and cd please!

Mad Arab

Quote from: ManWithNoName on May 06, 2010, 05:23:08 PM
Oh thou holiest of the holy, let your light shine down upon us!

It has shined and the light has exposed the outright thievery oh, ManWithIllegalMelvinsDownload.

Like Stee

Quote from: ManWithNoName on May 06, 2010, 05:36:22 PM
I could understand that ASA and NWB rubbed people the wrong way, it had a strong classic rock feel to it. That's fine, I understand that. But, man, this one is just too damn good. It sounds like nothing they've ever done.

IMO, the fact that Kevin was held in such high regard as the bassist par excellence for the Melvins has a lot to do with some people not being all that into the Melvins/BB.

At the same time, though, isn't it kind of ironic that so many people here went ape shit over Here Come the Waterworks, rightly so, only to turn on BB once they were usurped by the Melvins.  :-k
Yes and no.  I love Big Business.  Just don't love 'em in the Melvins.  Honestly I like Here Come The Waterworks and Mind The Drift better than ASA or NWB.  Mind The Drift was more like a Melvins album than either of those.  I really dig Bride though and it's still growing on me.  Took a looooooooooooong time to get into ASA and NWB.

bigjim

Listening now.  So far so good.  I hope they play somewhere close

dontyoutellme

got this on lock. like this better than a lot of the other bb collabs. don'tyoumutherfuckerstellme that they are one, that is a lie. i will have that argument until we get drunk and work it out temporarily... but this sounds oddly bullheadish to me in parts. anyone else?
gamble gamble gamble DIE.

bUTTHOLEmAN

I don't really hear Bullhead..style wise you can tell the four piece from other incarnations..but bullhead, I don't hear yet.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

MrLuck87

Quote from: Like Stee on May 06, 2010, 05:25:39 PMI still miss Kevin, like I think a number of fans here do, and I miss Dale drumming solo (way heavier than dueling drums every time), but that said this is the new Melvins, and the new Melvins have just made a giant leap forward from ASA and NWB.  It's got a bit of everything.  The only classic Melvins album that's really missing for me personally is the slow heavy  (See How Pretty, Hag Me, At The Stake, Anti-Vermin Seed).  My Generation comes close, but doesn't quite make it to that former level of heavy they used to reach fairly regularly.

I miss Kevin's dance and the fact that they used to play songs from The Maggot and H.A.T.  Other than that I think this is the best line up yet.

The Mechanical Bride is slow and heavy but on the album it sounds a little weak.  It's hard listening to the studio version after hearing it live.

Starts at 5:50
Melvins/Big Business 10.10.07 - Part 7

Melvins/Big Business 10.10.07 - Part 8

AND DOG ISLAND MAN!!  Dog freakin Island!  It's heavy, slow, and one of their best songs!