The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mount Ambulance

5th's is asking for a decent review ... didn't you listen to it ... c'mon on??!! Well here's a decent review for ya:

It
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Idlehanz

I agree, I disagree............It just seems that some people are looking for something to compare this to, and if they can't, the don't like it.  When I first heard the Melvins, I became a fan because I loved the songs, AND because it was different than ANYTHING I'd ever heard.  I stay a fan because I still LOVE the songs BECAUSE they are different than anything I've yet to hear. 

This isn't in direct reply to anyones opinion, it's just a stream of thought. 

turnacus

1 listen through and I'm not totally blown away. Not really a surprise.

There are parts, similar to the last two, where it's almost like, Melvins cliches built into the riffs or fills. A bit samey. I guess that'll happen almost 30 years into a career. Other parts make me stop and say "This is interesting", especially that damn pump up first song. They feel like they are really coming together, not just as big business playing what the Melvins want, but as a legit 4/5 piece.  Pig House sounds like Judas Priest hung out with Morricone.

Van Hagar

norecess

i have to admit, i'm really starting to like this album a whole lot, it took some listens though...when i was listening to it for the first time, the way the band sounds like especially stuck out, rather than the music. i was disappointed, slightly annoyed even. they're one of my favorite band after all, how could i betray them! i want to like it, but it sucks! or doesn't it? after a few listens you're starting to familiarize with some of the music, and then.. oh boy, the fun part is slowly starting..

a new album, there have actually only been a few (maybe none, lysol?) melvins album that i loved upon first listen, most leave you somewhat puzzled but there is always an aspect that makes you go back and listen to it, and again, and again... even melvins classics like charmicarmicat (does it really matter how you spell this?) or "at the stake" take at least a dozen or so to be fully appreciated, and with every listen you find yourself peeling off another layer off the core of the song, hearing parts that you're sure weren't there the first time you listened to it!

i have noticed some of the outros/second parts especially are brilliant (inhumanity & death, pig house... my generation!), loving the screeching, maggot-resembling, high-pitched guitar attacks high on the fretboard... who knows what he's playing exacty?, but it sounds fucking cool!!! lukin forward seeing this material live in full combat mode.

norecess

Quote from: turnacus on May 08, 2010, 02:18:12 AM
Judas Priest hung out with Morricone.

i'm contributing "Meshuggah and Alice Cooper not having a cup of tea after a game of golf on a rainy morning" to that list.

glen

most personality I've heard out of jared's bass since he joined.
I like how much looser and less mechanical the bass lines feel.

IE: electric flower
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

black stallion

Quote from: bankrupt on May 07, 2010, 02:04:28 PM
Quote from: gesundheit on May 05, 2010, 06:35:50 PM
Based on the reviews (and I still haven't heard a single note, Day 2: still going strong, big whoop) the vibe I get is similar to my feelings on the albums Stoner Witch and Stag.

and my immediate reaction has been: seems like Stag, more than anything else.
my thought exactly.love every single track of this album,especially Evil New War God and Hospital Up (Bootlicker vibe?). i consider I'll Finish You Off a Big Business song.

Quote from: norecess on May 08, 2010, 04:58:43 AM
and with every listen you find yourself peeling off another layer off the core of the song, hearing parts that you're sure weren't there the first time you listened to it!

oh yes!this is Melvins my friend  :D
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

MrLuck87

Quote from: norecess on May 08, 2010, 04:58:43 AM

a new album, there have actually only been a few (maybe none, lysol?) melvins album that i loved upon first listen, most leave you somewhat puzzled but there is always an aspect that makes you go back and listen to it, and again, and again... even melvins classics like charmicarmicat (does it really matter how you spell this?) or "at the stake" take at least a dozen or so to be fully appreciated, and with every listen you find yourself peeling off another layer off the core of the song, hearing parts that you're sure weren't there the first time you listened to it!

Exactly!  This is why it surprises me that so many people were willing to jump ship after one or two listens.  Haven't you guys learned by now?   8)

black stallion

any thought about what's the song written by Dale?pretty sure Jared wrote I''ll Finish You Off
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

norecess

Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 08, 2010, 08:31:20 AM
Exactly!  This is why it surprises me that so many people were willing to jump ship after one or two listens.  Haven't you guys learned by now?   8)

well, once i 'accept' the form/line up, i enjoy it, but i cannot help but think how much more ass it would have kicked with ONE drummer.. melvins drums always used to fuck with my sense of rhythm..  but hey, that's just my opinion on it :)

ManWithNoName

Quote from: glen on May 08, 2010, 07:12:53 AM
most personality I've heard out of jared's bass since he joined.
I like how much looser and less mechanical the bass lines feel.

IE: electric flower
I agree, oh wise one. Especially on My Generation. It's like one long slow Entwistle solo -- fucking brilliant.

Mad Arab

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on May 08, 2010, 12:31:18 AM
5th's is asking for a decent review ... didn't you listen to it ... c'mon on??!! Well here's a decent review for ya:

It

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on May 08, 2010, 12:31:18 AM

2. Evil New War God: A classic Melvins charger in the tradition of Honey Bucket, Mobius Hibachi, Black Stooges

the ether bunny

Quote from: Idlehanz on May 08, 2010, 02:03:34 AM
I agree, I disagree............It just seems that some people are looking for something to compare this to, and if they can't, the don't like it.  When I first heard the Melvins, I became a fan because I loved the songs, AND because it was different than ANYTHING I'd ever heard.  I stay a fan because I still LOVE the songs BECAUSE they are different than anything I've yet to hear. 

This isn't in direct reply to anyone's opinion, it's just a stream of thought. 

a friend of mine was telling me the other day that this is the reason that she doesn't like bands like the melvins. it's not predictable enough. she'd rather listen to bands like the rolling stones all day because with every album you know exactly what to expect.  :|

on the other hand, i'm with you on this all the way. this is the exact reason i like a lot of the bands i like. it always seems to me that a lot of the people around here either want the lysol days back, or the rutmanis days back. the melvins are still on that path forward. i just hope for these peoples sake that they like the next incarnation more...
he was a mongoloid.

turnacus

Well, I still feel the album is average, with ok flourishes, but man, Pig House rocks.
Van Hagar