The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkyslim

Quote from: norecess on May 08, 2010, 08:47:19 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 08, 2010, 08:31:20 AM
Exactly!  This is why it surprises me that so many people were willing to jump ship after one or two listens.  Haven't you guys learned by now?   8)

well, once i 'accept' the form/line up, i enjoy it, but i cannot help but think how much more ass it would have kicked with ONE drummer.. melvins drums always used to fuck with my sense of rhythm..  but hey, that's just my opinion on it :)

bingo.

Dale's drums used to be kinda Thelonious Monkish.
His pounding was erratic and wayy heavy.
I miss The seance sound :-({|=

turnacus

Damn, why didn't they do anything with the drums at the end of "Finnish you off"?
Van Hagar

ManWithNoName

Quote from: turnacus on May 08, 2010, 04:43:20 PM
Damn, why didn't they do anything with the drums at the end of "Finnish you off"?
Because they've spent far more time thinking about it than you have. Let them do the driving.

turnacus

What? They aren't infalliable.

It ends with a nasty drum beat, and instead of evolving, we're greeted with my sharona and silliness.

Too many times on this record, they forego rock.
Van Hagar

ManWithNoName

I was being a smart ass. :P

I understand what you mean but I think that would have been predictable, which isn't what they were going for.

Based on the short clips I expected I'll Finish You Off to be my least favorite song on the album, after having listened to the album several times, it might be my favorite.

turnacus

That's stupid. Anyone can be unpredictable.  Just do a bunch of random shit. But most of aren't fans for Prick, we're fans for HAT and Maggot and Ozma.
Van Hagar

MrLuck87

I found this review.  Notice that because there is no fanboyism he thinks it kicks ass.  http://www.musicvice.com/reviews/albums/melvins-the-bride-screamed-murder-070510

In one word: Magnificent

Listening to this, I have but one question to ask myself:  Why the hell has it taken me so long to listen to a Melvins album?  Both as a band and as individuals, they

Leroy

At least it is'nt all out noise like Colossus of Destiny, which was terrible.  Beto Brasil knew what he was talking about.

Let's be honest, if COD didn't have the Melvins name on it, we wouldn't have bought it.

the crybaby

Quote from: Leroy on May 08, 2010, 09:16:47 PM
At least it is'nt all out noise like Colossus of Destiny, which was terrible.  Beto Brasil knew what he was talking about.

Let's be honest, if COD didn't have the Melvins name on it, we wouldn't have bought it.

COLOSSUS OF DESTINYL is a great album!!!

Mad Arab

There is a spectacular live version of Eye Flys on COD. Again, you have to appreciate sound collage and stuff with nods at early industrial music to consider COD as something other than terrible.

Like Stee

Quote from: pinkyslim on May 08, 2010, 03:56:28 PM
Quote from: norecess on May 08, 2010, 08:47:19 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 08, 2010, 08:31:20 AM
Exactly!  This is why it surprises me that so many people were willing to jump ship after one or two listens.  Haven't you guys learned by now?   8)

well, once i 'accept' the form/line up, i enjoy it, but i cannot help but think how much more ass it would have kicked with ONE drummer.. melvins drums always used to fuck with my sense of rhythm..  but hey, that's just my opinion on it :)

bingo.

Dale's drums used to be kinda Thelonious Monkish.
His pounding was erratic and wayy heavy.
I miss The seance sound :-({|=

x3
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

jonE5

Quote from: ManWithNoName on May 08, 2010, 08:55:28 AM
Quote from: glen on May 08, 2010, 07:12:53 AM
most personality I've heard out of jared's bass since he joined.
I like how much looser and less mechanical the bass lines feel.

IE: electric flower
I agree, oh wise one. Especially on My Generation. It's like one long slow Entwistle solo -- fucking brilliant.

I was driving home one of my cooks the other night. He's a younger guy, into more modern metal, and i've been turning him onto the Melvins for a bit now. So I had the new album on and he's grooving on it. Then My Generation comes on and it blew his mind. I actually said while we were listening 'It's like he keeps throwing in little bits of the Entwistle solo'... Anytime you can get compared to 'The Ox' I'd say youre doing a good job on the bass.

Dubwise Ministry Juan

Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 09, 2010, 12:57:41 PM
There is a spectacular live version of Eye Flys on COD.

Exactly. The guitar feedback in the lead up to Eye Flys dropping is the deadliest sound ever commited to record...... end of story.

Like Stee

Quote from: Dubwise Ministry Juan on May 10, 2010, 05:06:21 PM
Quote from: Jared Preston Esquire on May 09, 2010, 12:57:41 PM
There is a spectacular live version of Eye Flys on COD.

Exactly. The guitar feedback in the lead up to Eye Flys dropping is the deadliest sound ever commited to record...... end of story.
Yep... and the best part is, I have the white label vinyl test pressing.  :lol:
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas