Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gesundheit

Hopsital Up
I had to say it again.

irezumi

meh. i hope it grows on me some.

Dumpster D

well, it has this sort of "anit-flow" in a way, I mean It flows, but the flow somehow feels like it's been broken apart here and there.

well, It feels like a short album, and yet it's not, most of the tunes go by me in a blur.

they are cramming a lot of material into this, but you wouldn't exatly notice everything, Ie; it should grow on you.

I think they really focused on getting their vocals refined more than anything.

blacksanta

Another year, another Snivlem. I think this is a huge improvement on NwB and is at least as good as aSA. AND it cracked the pop charts at #200!

Water Glass -Opening riff is an album highlight, just a churning heavy monster, and I'm a sucker for military cadences.
Evil New War God - Epic, pretty, heavy, a new classic is born.
Pig House - I enjoy the stop-start rawk riffage alternating with the pretty melody, and the end is a total homage to Alice Cooper's Halo of Flies. The whistling/vocal part at the end....wow.

After the first three songs, all I can say is how lucky I am to be a lifelong fan of this band. This is some of the most complex music yet from these guys. It's so intricate and detailed.

I'll Finish You Off - The pop sheen hinted at with Animal and developed more fully on Nude really comes together on this. Then again, when I heard Lysol for the first time as a teenager I found it to be the most beautiful thing I have ever heard, so I'm a weirdo when it comes to matters of taste. My fiance, whose taste is decidedly not heavy, really really like this album. She kept commenting on how gorgeous the melodies were. That creepy Halloween organ wind-down with the cascading drum flutterings sounds great on the headphones. Hilarious My Sharona parody.

Electric Flower - It sounds like a retread.....but not. Its a great rock tune that sounds like a mish-mash of all the best traits of Big Melvins when they decide to go for rawk broke.

Hospital Up -  Beautiful flying music, perfect for driving fast in a convertible on a summer's day.....and the snotty vocal parts elicited a hearty chuckle from me. And then a nice free jazz parody at the end. This is one of the best songs on the record. I hope Phish doesn't hear it and ruin it like they did with Ween's Roses are Free.

Inhumanity and Death - Jesus, they make most metal sound amazingly lame don't they?

My Generation - Heavy as fuck and one of the funniest parodies of faux-punks and hipsters I've had the pleasure to snicker to. Yay for awesome covers....

PG X 3 - Old folk song. Buzz based his version off of Nick Cave's version in The Proposition (great movie, Cave wrote it and did the music). Fans will either love it or hate it. I'm actually walking down the aisle to this, but fiance and I are arguing over whether we are keeping the retarded counting at the end. Stunning stuff.

My final thoughts: I was a little skeptical before I played it. They have been recorded by Toshi since 2002 which has lead to a certain sound, and since hooking up with BB they have developed a certain style or formula which is very distinct. Since the 80's to HAT every album seemed to have a vastly different style than the one before it. Its been an interesting ride listening to the current feel develop organically over time. That said, NwB felt somewhat stale to me. The album didn't have much of a flow to it in my ears and felt like a batch of lesser tunes left off of Senile. It wasn't a bad album to me, but it didn't grab me. TBSM, by contrast, surprised me and moved me, as it sounds like Melvins are growing and experimenting with their current sound/feel/style. It's one of their best in the last decade, as good as HAT and Senile.

Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

MrLuck87

After looking at the artwork again I've noticed that all of the kids hat's have skulls on them.  It kind of reminds me of the singles 1-12 logo.  Maybe that's why they choose these pictures.  Or maybe I'm looking into it a little too much.

gesundheit

I've noticed that there was a skull and crossbones banner (on the panel above the glass window) in the control room of the studio that they recorded at.

Coincidence? 

Chomas

The artwork sucks on this new album, that is the one knock on it, and the thing I care the least about.  The page with the songs listed is OK, but the rest is unimpressive to me.  Doesn't match the album imo.

Mad Arab

A very generous review, Black Santa. Thanks. This album is growing on me. I liked it from the beginning but I just can't seem to enjoy My Generation? as much as others here. Every cover they ever did, I have always preferred their version over the original. But this one, I actually prefer the original.

Dumpster D

anyone ever tell you not to judge a book by it's cover?

Ok well, for that matter I think the melvins are deeper than you think...think twice about it.

the melvins read pretty friggin' deep, you might miss a few meanings if you don't examine everything and understand what it is you are seeing or looking at when it comes down to it.

Dr.Benway

Quote from: Dumpster Diver on June 10, 2010, 08:55:23 PM
Ok well, for that matter I think the melvins are deeper than you think...think twice about it.

the melvins read pretty friggin' deep, you might miss a few meanings if you don't examine everything and understand what it is you are seeing or looking at when it comes down to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ](*,)

Dubwise Ministry Juan

Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on June 10, 2010, 07:58:32 AM
Evil New War God  gets 5 stars mutha fukkas.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

JZS likes it  when Melvins impersonate My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine.

Dubwise Ministry Juan

Quote from: Dumpster Diver on June 10, 2010, 08:55:23 PM
anyone ever tell you not to judge a book by it's cover?

I think the cover is a perfect thing to judge this album by.........kind of weak.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: Dubwise Ministry Juan on June 11, 2010, 06:42:05 AM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on June 10, 2010, 07:58:32 AM
Evil New War God  gets 5 stars mutha fukkas.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

JZS likes it  when Melvins impersonate My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine.

Take your meds dude.

jules

My mate Garth who lives in Cardiff has just written me a hilarious review of TBSM which I'll post here:

MELVINS     THE BRIDE SCREAMED MURDER

WATER GLASS.Great riff and drums, funny the first couple of times, but I think it will wear thin.
EVIL NEW WAR GOD. Mega riff, a bit like the first track from Nude with boots, Dale