The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the bloat

Some of the major complaints by some, on this record are the silly "experimentalism" (not sure if that is a word), but I was just listening to 'Prig' and it's TBSM all over again. The retarded keyboards, snoring, long bouts of silence. I don't hear anyone complaining about that song

Dubwise Ministry Juan

Quote from: the bloat on June 11, 2010, 06:26:26 PM
Some of the major complaints by some, on this record are the silly "experimentalism" (not sure if that is a word), but I was just listening to 'Prig' and it's TBSM all over again. The retarded keyboards, snoring, long bouts of silence. I don't hear anyone complaining about that song

That's because Big Business didn't have anything to do with it.

Schnabster

Quote from: Dubwise Ministry Juan on June 11, 2010, 06:42:05 AM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on June 10, 2010, 07:58:32 AM
Evil New War God  gets 5 stars mutha fukkas.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

JZS likes it  when Melvins impersonate My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine.

Where are your ears, Dubwise?

Angus Khan

Quote from: Schnabster on June 12, 2010, 04:09:07 AM
Quote from: Dubwise Ministry Juan on June 11, 2010, 06:42:05 AM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on June 10, 2010, 07:58:32 AM
Evil New War God  gets 5 stars mutha fukkas.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

JZS likes it  when Melvins impersonate My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine.

Where are your ears, Dubwise?
up King Tubby's arse.
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

BAD RONALD SEA

I hate  to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.pm that is

Mad Arab

I stepped away from this album for about a week and then listened to it again. This album grew on me tremendously during that time. And I concede to Anaconda and Glen that Hospital Up is the best song on there. I find myself singing Peggy Gordon now.

gesundheit

Quote from: Joe Deutrom on June 26, 2010, 09:48:41 AM
I stepped away from this album for about a week and then listened to it again. This album grew on me tremendously during that time. And I concede to Anaconda and Glen that Hospital Up is the best song on there. I find myself singing Peggy Gordon now.

Seconded...the very first day I listened probably a dozen times...then, didn't listen for about a week and went back to it in a strong way. Since then (2 1/2 weeks ago) it has been the constant in my listening catalog. I can not get enough of Hospital Up. The sets at all the shows going on lately have been absolutely great, but I'm extremely excited for the day I will get to hear them play it live. I have a feeling it will be a real treat! The song is like a classic rock Melvins ballad, unlike Civilized Worm, but still very familiar with an extremely fresh, clean sound..dope riffs, great lyrics, heavy drumming and of course the bass line is (uh-oh) devastating..one of my all around favorite Melvins tunes for good reason..Hospital Up and The Water Glass are probably my two favorites from the album. Those two have managed to give me the chills and goosebumps on many occasions.

gesundheit

I really don't see whats the big deal. I don't mind it one bit. Of course, the jazz part holds little merit on what I consider to be the song Hospital Up. I, in fact, think that listening to a minute of jibberish is a nice "come down" to that song. Somebody spoke about tension/release and they couldn't have been more right. The Melvins did it and there is nothing you can do about it. So why the fuck is there any complaining, at all??? Especially considering the jazz/wackiness I would consider it one of my favorite Melvins 'tracks' of all time. I doesn't take anything away from it, at all.

The only time I've actually skipped that part was on a pleasant drive around town yesterday when I was basically blaring and continually repeating Hospital Up as loud as I could handle. The song would finish and within ten or so seconds I would just repeat the track from the beginning. Lots of goosebumps, almost cried a few times, lots of singing, it was good times!  :)

ManWithNoName

What is that Buzz says? What kind of life do you lead that you can't let your guard down once in a while?

jules

Quote from: rhyme orange on June 26, 2010, 05:19:19 PM
why do people care so much about the jazz part and my sharonation?  those aren't even really part of the songs, they're just fucking around  after a few seconds of silence at the end of a couple tracks and it only last for a few seconds.  it's kind of like saying "i would give blues for the red sun a 10/10 if it wasn't for that stupid filler track yeah, so it only gets 9/10.  that's no way to end an album".

i agree with gesu about it doesn't take anything away from the tracks.
Skipping bits of a Melvins album is like only looking at the parts of the Mona Lisa that you like.

gesundheit

Careful, that could become the official head wear of the Melvins.net (We're Not A) Cult.

Schnabster

Electric Flower has some really sickingly awesome riffs and stuff a bit out in the tune. I`m playing it over and over again in my car stereo. Poor Schnabster.

1:44 in to the tune it begins:
The Melvins - 05 - Electric Flower

I didn`t play Nude With Boots much, BSM is way another story. Take that as an indication that this album is bulls eye.

MrLuck87

Quote from: gesundheit on June 26, 2010, 04:49:25 PM
I really don't see whats the big deal. I don't mind it one bit. Of course, the jazz part holds little merit on what I consider to be the song Hospital Up. I, in fact, think that listening to a minute of jibberish is a nice "come down" to that song. Somebody spoke about tension/release and they couldn't have been more right. The Melvins did it and there is nothing you can do about it. So why the fuck is there any complaining, at all??? Especially considering the jazz/wackiness I would consider it one of my favorite Melvins 'tracks' of all time. I doesn't take anything away from it, at all.

x2

I think those parts help throw any bit of pretense out the window and make the album more fun, something that is lacking in most bands.

Melvy

Quote from: (((O))) on June 26, 2010, 03:41:30 PM
When you say Hospital Up is your favourite im guessing (perhaps wrongly) that you dont include the comedy jazz outro in your evaluation? Ha, i skip that bit every single time i listen! As for myself im all about Evil New War God and Electric Flower.

On iTunes you can choose when songs start/end. Just have the song end @ 4:11.

Mad Arab

The next album will be entirely free jazz with Jared scat singing. The Melvins are just preparing you is all. They will cover the jazz standard "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing".