Do MELVINS pay homage to PINK FLOYD on BOOTLICKER?

Started by boldfacedlie, October 18, 2010, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boldfacedlie

I have been listening to this album a lot lately.  The more I hear the last song, the more it sounds like an homage to PINK FLOYD's ANIMALS album.  The guitar on PRIG sounds just like the guitar on PIGS ON THE WING. The snoring before it begins sounds just like the pig oinking noise on PIGS (3 DIFFERENT ONES). Plus the name is PRIG, which is the word PIG with an R in there. "RIG" means to set up something beforehand, and it would make sense, like they set up the similarities on purpose to pay respect to the songwriting of FLOYD 20 years before.  Anyone else notice this or am I just being retarded?

boldfacedlie

I have to pass a drug test in 2 weeks... this is my 2nd day of sobriety in a row.

moose

Quote from: boldfacedlie on October 18, 2010, 06:55:26 PM
I have to pass a drug test in 2 weeks... this is my 2nd day of sobriety in a row.
Good luck with that  :D
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

GrimReaper

Isn't this Pink Floyd homage enough for you homeboy?

http://www.themelvins.net/wiki/index.php?title=Interstellar_Overdrive_EP

Someone mentioned that the sound on Bootlicker is not a pig noise but Buzzo snoring. This is Melvins lore and I like to believe it's true.

Eponymous

Quote from: boldfacedlie on October 18, 2010, 06:46:06 PM
The guitar on PRIG sounds just like the guitar on PIGS ON THE WING.

I definitely hear this.

boldfacedlie

Thank you eponymous. And yes, I know its someone snoring, but it sounds like the pigs oinking on the Pink Floyd album.  I feel like its just a really creative, melvins-style homage.

nothintothenotice

i love it when my 2 favorite bands collide. thanks....never really noticed that.

jules

Quote from: boldfacedlie on October 18, 2010, 06:46:06 PM
I have been listening to this album a lot lately.  The more I hear the last song, the more it sounds like an homage to PINK FLOYD's ANIMALS album.  The guitar on PRIG sounds just like the guitar on PIGS ON THE WING. The snoring before it begins sounds just like the pig oinking noise on PIGS (3 DIFFERENT ONES). Plus the name is PRIG, which is the word PIG with an R in there. "RIG" means to set up something beforehand, and it would make sense, like they set up the similarities on purpose to pay respect to the songwriting of FLOYD 20 years before.  Anyone else notice this or am I just being retarded?
Its impossible to listen to that song and NOT think of Pink Floyd!

MrLuck87

I was listening to Prig the other day and I was thinking it was a really underrated Melvins song.  I do hear Pink Floyd and it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they were trying to do.  They wrote 3 albums of material during that time after all.

glen

I heard that if you play The Bootlicker simultaneously with the film The Wizard of Oz...                   or no, that was something else.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

norecess

Captain Beefheart Alice in Blunderland & The Spotlight Kid

a while ago i was listening to the spotlight kid by beefheart and was thinking this might have served as a big inspiration for the bootlicker vibe as well.

MrLuck87

Quote from: glen on October 19, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
I heard that if you play The Bootlicker simultaneously with the film The Wizard of Oz...                   or no, that was something else.

You're thinking of "Debbie Does Dallas".

rictus

Quote from: MrLuck87 on October 19, 2010, 02:46:04 PM
Quote from: glen on October 19, 2010, 01:24:26 PM

You're thinking of "Debbie Does Dallas".

It really syncs up when Up The Dumper comes on.

Mad Arab

I hear some floydian influences on the last track. Animals is my favorite Floyd album.