Spaceland, 7 Jan 2011

Started by jules, January 08, 2011, 09:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jules

I say, you there in California, start typing......

LebRon Maiden

If you go, make sure you buy as many records as possible to resell on ebay.  Cost, $50, sell for $225 on ebay, you profit.

genericus

I created an account to check out other reviews, but I guess it falls to me!

It. Was. BRUTAL.

I don't remember everything they played the first set, but there was AmazonAmazon, The Bloated Pope, the Talking Horse, & Bacon Industry for sure.

But the main set? They front-loaded all of the slowest & noisiest songs:
Colossus of Destiny (this went on for at least 20 minutes - 1/2 hour)
Eyes Flys
Charmicarmicat
Hung Bunny

from there they played the rest of Eggnog, then the rest of Lysol. I don't remember the order, but Sacrifice was last.

Punishing.

black stallion

Quote from: genericus on January 08, 2011, 12:50:08 PM

how did they perform this stuff? using some pedals effect,synth or something like that? were just them or there was someone else as guest?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

genericus

And I forgot: there were some serious cameras there, filming from multiple locations.  I think we'll be seeing an HD video release of some (all?) of the residency...

jules

I created an account to check out other reviews, but I guess it falls to me!

It. Was. BRUTAL.

I don't remember everything they played the first set, but there was AmazonAmazon, The Bloated Pope, the Talking Horse, & Bacon Industry for sure.

But the main set? They front-loaded all of the slowest & noisiest songs:
Eyes Flys
Charmicarmicat
Hung Bunny

from there they played the rest of Eggnog, then the rest of Lysol. I don't remember the order, but Sacrifice was last.

Punishing.

Cool! I hope this is building up to an end-of-year mega-gig where they play every album they've ever made, one album per night, every night for a month. (With singles as encores). And if these sets are being recorded in full, I won't feel so bad about not being able to go.

genericus

Quote from: black stallion on January 08, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

how did they perform this stuff? using some pedals effect,synth or something like that? were just them or there was someone else as guest?

Buzz came out and played guitar alone at first, the others came out and started in with noisemaking, then Buzz leaned guitar against amp and exited for about 15 minutes.
Coady had a wooden box that he was concentrating on, but I couldn't tell what he was doing. I don't think it was a laptop.
Dale defititely had a therimin, and it looked like he had some kind of iPhone app that he handed off to one of the roadies to futz with when he switched to drums.
Jared had a keyboad on a chair and a shit-ton of effects pedals.
It was noisy!

gesundheit

Quote from: genericus on January 08, 2011, 01:04:49 PM
And I forgot: there were some serious cameras there, filming from multiple locations.  I think we'll be seeing an HD video release of some (all?) of the residency...

I have already wept with joy...

jules

I can't watch gig vids if the sound is all shot to pieces. I'll wait for the 'proper' one, if such a thing happens.....
It's great you can see gigs on line 12 hours after they've finished, though. That's awesome!

highjinx

i missed most of the first set, but from what they played it sounded like it was similar to the recent tours.
COD was punishing but not bad with earplugs, made the rest of the set easy to take in and enjoy.
Was so tired and didnt want to deal with a sold out crowd but glad I went, they played some great songs.
Can't wait for Bullhead!

Don;t think I'll spend that 50 on the LP, wheres the "guy that just wants to listen to it on LP version"?
Not the "Collector versions", I understand Buzzos stance on collectables and art in the music business but he could easily sell another 500-1000 copies of BSM to those who can only spend $20 vs the $50.
number 2 pencil insiiiiide my head

LebRon Maiden

Quote from: highjinx on January 08, 2011, 04:27:18 PM

Don;t think I'll spend that 50 on the LP, wheres the "guy that just wants to listen to it on LP version"?
Not the "Collector versions", I understand Buzzos stance on collectables and art in the music business but he could easily sell another 500-1000 copies of BSM to those who can only spend $20 vs the $50.

Buy two, sell one.  You will get the album for free and make $100.

Captain CoryCory

I hate living in the east coast sometimes...

Idlehanz

Quote from: jules on January 08, 2011, 03:13:48 PM
I can't watch gig vids if the sound is all shot to pieces.

Me either.  I don't understand why people film 5 feet from a speaker.  What's the point?

MrLuck87

Quote from: Idlehanz on January 08, 2011, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: jules on January 08, 2011, 03:13:48 PM
I can't watch gig vids if the sound is all shot to pieces.

Me either.  I don't understand why people film 5 feet from a speaker.  What's the point?

It depends on the quality of the camera.  My friend filmed this years ago I love the slight distortion.

Melvins/Big Business 10.10.07 - Part 3

It's good to have Buzz singing Hog Leg again!  I couldn't really hear Coady when he was singing it in 2007.