an older interview with dale i hadn't read before, so probably you neither

Started by norecess, September 12, 2011, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

http://www.ocweekly.com/content/printVersion/44606/

QuoteThe only English phrase fit to describe Dale Crover is one I have to borrow from my friend Mike Boomer: unstoppable killing machine.Crover has been the Melvins' legendary drummer for more than 20 years; he once played drums in the great doom metal band the Obsessed; he was, yes, Nirvana's very first drummer; and he has been, since the mid-'90s, the guitarist and singer for Altamont, a band that sounds to my ears like something near the middle of a circle drawn through Kiss, Butthole Surfers and Sabbath. That description might apply just as well to the Melvins, though, and while there are some unavoidable similarities between the two bands, the first thing that jumps out about Altamont is the standard rock tempo of many of the songs, unlike the often unrelentingly slow Melvins. Altamont still has a deep, twisted, stoned sound, but the band does not seem to have the Melvins' instinct to bum out an audience in the transcendent and visionary way that only the Melvins can, painting instead with colors drawn from Hawkwind, say, and Bloodrock, or perhaps not. In any case, Altamont's third, most recent, excellent album

brian

funny that the article says he was "Nirvana's first drummer"... I had just read this earlier today: http://www.contactmusic.com/news/dave-grohl-nirvanas-drummers-were-all-mad_1244815

QuoteFoo Fighters star Dave Grohl is convinced he only became Nirvana's regular drummer because he was more stable than his mad predecessors.
He quickly understood why he landed the job after meeting the crazy guys who had come before him.
He explains, "One of them drove a truck through, like, a supermarket window once with the mayor's daughter in the truck.
"The first time I met the first drummer we were at a laundromat and he comes in... and he hands me some quarters and he goes, 'I'm gonna get in the drier; put those quarters in once you close the door.'"
Nirvana's early drummers were Dave Foster, Chad Channing, Aaron Burckhard and The Melvins star Dale Crover.

(((O)))

Cool. I didnt know that Dale plays the odd bit of guitar on the records. Maybe Buzzo records a few cymbal hits or drum fills too eh?  \:D/

Dumpster D

LOL, Here's some Quarters...n' I'm going to get in the dryer!!!

sound like dale?  :lol: was it? I dunno, could have been a Truck through a supermarket window just as easily.

(thanks for posting the Dale thing!)

The Dale Corver EP man!

I always wanted to hear more of that 'sound' In Altamont!!!

DAyyyul-Day-ull...people should be gathering in the streets chanting his name right now!!!

bowing down and presenting him with sacrificial offerings.

black stallion

Quote from: )))((( on September 12, 2011, 04:46:57 PM
Cool. I didnt know that Dale plays the odd bit of guitar on the records.

if i remember correctly Dale plays some additional guitars on the bit,on that song he plays sitar too  8)

Maybe Buzzo records a few cymbal hits or drum fills too eh?  \:D/

remember seeing buzz hitting a floor tom during a live version of spread eagle beagle,oh that was weird!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

norecess

Quote from: black stallion on September 15, 2011, 04:53:07 PM
Cool. I didnt know that Dale plays the odd bit of guitar on the records.

if i remember correctly Dale plays some additional guitars on the bit,on that song he plays sitar too  8)

i think he also plays a bit of guitar here and there on houdini.