Author Topic: MELVINS in Village Voice..LYSOL  (Read 8157 times)

pinkyslim

Re: MELVINS in Village Voice..LYSOL
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
no problem everyone :D

Offline oldernie

• knows moss
  • OLD ERNIE GONNA EAT YOU OUT!!!!
    • View Profile
    • old ernie
Re: Rabbit's Revenge
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Next time I want to hear Sunn 0))) I'll just put on Lysol. Loudly.

i thought all there stuff was just a tribute to lysol,or more specifically the first few minutes of lysol  before the drums come in.
 but people keep telling me theres more to them than that. i will buy one more of there albums before i give up.
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.

(((O)))

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
i will buy one more of there albums before i give up.
Which ones do you have? Nothing absolutely mind blowing but i enjoy most of their releases in a ambient, heavy background music kind of way. I do think Monoliths & Dimensions was overrated if thats any help.

Offline oldernie

• knows moss
  • OLD ERNIE GONNA EAT YOU OUT!!!!
    • View Profile
    • old ernie
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
i got oracle first, then altar, i dont mind that song on altar with that female singer, that was interesting, im not really a fan of boris either so that album didnt do much for me.
on the other hand i really like earth, who were probly an even bigger influence on sunn than the melvins
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.

(((O)))

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
i dont mind that song on altar with that female singer, that was interesting
:lol:
That was my least favourite song off there but yeah it is interesting in its difference all the same.

Rev. Mike

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
Oracle is absolutely the weakest Sunn album, Altar is not fully representative.  00 Void is their best for pure guitar drone, Black One is awesome for evil ambiance, and I think Monoliths is a great distillation of what they had done up to that point.  I need to be in a certain mind set to listen to Sunn, but I think what they do well, and volume does help.  I will go see them live every opportunity I can though.  I love being enveloped in sound, and they do that like no other, fully encased in sound.  I took a friend of mine to see them a few years back and he is generally more of a thrash and hardcore dude and I was worried he would be bored, he really enjoyed it, but he wouldn't sit down and listen to them.

Offline supernaut

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
They definitely should be experienced live before writing them off, and, for home listening, as their albums say, Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results.

Offline Braykfast

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
They sound great when I'm drunk and self destructive, wanting to fall asleep to oceans of oblivion.
"whiskey and axe handles"
- buzzo, boston, june 2010

Offline >>>JZS<<<

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
Nice.

Offline EvilNewWarGod

• knows moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 09:34:58 PM »
I really enjoy Sunn O)) a lot, I just usually need to be on opiates of some kind to really get into it.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

ManWithNoName

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
You're late by like two weeks. Nice try.

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=15406.0

pinkyslim

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »
u r a creep. :-&

Offline buddy holiday

• Has a copy of the vinney/buzzo interview
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 01:48:35 AM »
private detectives... pffff... good read.. thanks!

bonzo

lysol article
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 11:01:38 PM »
don't know if this has been posted.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-06-01/music/the-melvin-s-power-disinfectant/

The Melvins' Power Disinfectant
How their sludgy 1992 album Lysol became the blueprint for the metal underground

In the post-Nirvana moment of 1992, major labels were in a feedback-fucked, Seattle-sniffing feeding frenzy. Sludge-metal surrealists the Melvins were in an especially advantageous position; old buddy Kurt Cobain was championing the band right and left, even telling Spin that he wanted to buy Kirk Hammett a Melvins tee. Frontman Buzz Osborne correctly assumed that a major-label deal was nigh, and Atlantic ultimately took the bait for a three-record run that began with 1993's Houdini. But before that, Osborne says, "We knew we wanted to do a record that would be totally opposite. I didn't want to be perceived as somebody that was going for the gold, the brass ring. I think the same way as I ever did. And here was the record to prove it."

Which brings us to a visual that neatly sums up the '90s alternative-rock bubble: The Melvins, perched across from a table of record executives and proudly playing Lysol

Offline Idlehanz

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Colossus Of Destiny: A Melvins Tale
Re: lysol article
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »
Nice find.  That's a great little bit of behind the scenes on that record.