MELVINS in Village Voice..LYSOL

Started by SeattleSam, May 31, 2011, 07:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkyslim

oldernie

Quote from: Braykfast on June 01, 2011, 07:03:46 PM
Next time I want to hear Sunn 0))) I'll just put on Lysol. Loudly.

i thought all there stuff was just a tribute to lysol,or more specifically the first few minutes of lysol  before the drums come in.
but people keep telling me theres more to them than that. i will buy one more of there albums before i give up.
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.

(((O)))

Quote from: oldernie on June 06, 2011, 03:27:03 PM
i will buy one more of there albums before i give up.
Which ones do you have? Nothing absolutely mind blowing but i enjoy most of their releases in a ambient, heavy background music kind of way. I do think Monoliths & Dimensions was overrated if thats any help.

oldernie

i got oracle first, then altar, i dont mind that song on altar with that female singer, that was interesting, im not really a fan of boris either so that album didnt do much for me.
on the other hand i really like earth, who were probly an even bigger influence on sunn than the melvins
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.

(((O)))

Quote from: oldernie on June 06, 2011, 03:51:00 PM
i dont mind that song on altar with that female singer, that was interesting
:lol:
That was my least favourite song off there but yeah it is interesting in its difference all the same.

Rev. Mike

Oracle is absolutely the weakest Sunn album, Altar is not fully representative.  00 Void is their best for pure guitar drone, Black One is awesome for evil ambiance, and I think Monoliths is a great distillation of what they had done up to that point.  I need to be in a certain mind set to listen to Sunn, but I think what they do well, and volume does help.  I will go see them live every opportunity I can though.  I love being enveloped in sound, and they do that like no other, fully encased in sound.  I took a friend of mine to see them a few years back and he is generally more of a thrash and hardcore dude and I was worried he would be bored, he really enjoyed it, but he wouldn't sit down and listen to them.

supernaut

They definitely should be experienced live before writing them off, and, for home listening, as their albums say, Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results.

Braykfast

They sound great when I'm drunk and self destructive, wanting to fall asleep to oceans of oblivion.
"whiskey and axe handles"
- buzzo, boston, june 2010

>>>JZS<<<

EvilNewWarGod

I really enjoy Sunn O)) a lot, I just usually need to be on opiates of some kind to really get into it.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

pinkyslim

buddy holiday

private detectives... pffff... good read.. thanks!

bonzo

don't know if this has been posted.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-06-01/music/the-melvin-s-power-disinfectant/

The Melvins' Power Disinfectant
How their sludgy 1992 album Lysol became the blueprint for the metal underground

In the post-Nirvana moment of 1992, major labels were in a feedback-fucked, Seattle-sniffing feeding frenzy. Sludge-metal surrealists the Melvins were in an especially advantageous position; old buddy Kurt Cobain was championing the band right and left, even telling Spin that he wanted to buy Kirk Hammett a Melvins tee. Frontman Buzz Osborne correctly assumed that a major-label deal was nigh, and Atlantic ultimately took the bait for a three-record run that began with 1993's Houdini. But before that, Osborne says, "We knew we wanted to do a record that would be totally opposite. I didn't want to be perceived as somebody that was going for the gold, the brass ring. I think the same way as I ever did. And here was the record to prove it."

Which brings us to a visual that neatly sums up the '90s alternative-rock bubble: The Melvins, perched across from a table of record executives and proudly playing Lysol

Idlehanz

Nice find.  That's a great little bit of behind the scenes on that record.