BULLHEAD

Started by turnacus, August 11, 2003, 01:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(the) Razor

There are some things you just don't joke about.... :(
Don't click this

black stallion

that's true!it wasn't a joke though.i hope in the next album we will see a song as epic as Boris,but how i can be sure of this?i'm only a creepy fanboy :D
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Justafilthylurker

We already have Boris. Why do you need another one?

(the) Razor

You like See How Pretty, See How Smart, right?
Don't click this

Idlehanz

In my ears, I can put Dog Island pretty damn close to Boris.

anaconda

PrickHonky

this is absolutely my favorite Melvins album and their best IMO. Boris is a masterpiece of balls out slowness and heaviness that no one pulls off like Melvins.
What would a woman that fine want in a big, fat, nasty, greasy, fat, stank, bloated, cheesy-backed, 12-sandwich-eatin' bastard?

Turn around mister, and never trust a girl giving her donuts away for free.

VileBull

Quote from: turnacus on August 11, 2003, 01:35:20 PM
Its a great album, no denying that. But couldn't it use a remix?

It doesn't sound a bit flat to any of you all?
I think it's probably the most essential album they made.  Well maybe I think that because I like it so much still! Man, that flatness is also strength. Climb into the mind of a lunatic serialkiller like Zodiac. ( I forgot to get my pills. I like to go downtown...)
It could use a re-relase!
How could ANYBODY critisize Bullhead anyway...

Kallgeese

Quote from: Vcavallo on October 18, 2004, 12:48:53 PM
i think this has come up before and i think we all decided that it is studio manipulation, though it seems unlikely.  it also sounds too real and harmonic to be an electronic thing, considering the date and budget.  it is just another mystery of crover's legendary drumming.  just like the drumbeat to boris (in relation to the guitar).  when you really listen to , you just think, what the fuck is going on here!?  it is so hard to make sense of.

Just an idea: Is there any chance the weird cymbal noises could be bowed cymbals?

Beard

Quote from: Kallgeese on April 23, 2012, 02:48:20 PM
Just an idea: Is there any chance the weird cymbal noises could be bowed cymbals?

T'was a rototom, I believe.

Dan_Halen

I love this record, it is one their best. I have heard many people complain about the sound quality which is puzzling to me. I feel the production fits the songs perfectly, and any re-recording with "superior sonic engineering" would only take away from the masterpiece that is Bullhead. I have never heard a CD or mp3 version so maybe that's the issue, but my vinyl sounds great. I really feel like this was the album where they found their sound. Don't get me wrong, I love Gluey and Ozma, but this one just feels more like an album to me, where the others feel more like awesome collections of Melvins songs. ....and ending a record with a drum solo? Not a bad idea when you have Dale Crover as your drummer!  I love love LOVE this album.
Los ticka toe rest

Metalhead Cow

Bullhead is spectacular. One of the best albums they've ever put out

(PAUL)

I think part of the complaint of sounding flat is because they recorded on an 8-track whereas previous to that they recorded on 16-tracks, which is probably why the sound isn't as massive as Gluey was. Still, it doesn't sound bad or anything, just quiet. That's probably also because it was mastered quieter on cd or something.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Dan_Halen

AKA It was mastered before they turned everything to 11 and compressed the shit out of it to put it on a CD.
I think Bullhead is better sonically than Ozma or Gluey as far as the quality of the recordings.
Melvins were made to be listened to on vinyl IMO
Los ticka toe rest

Mabuhay_Ka

The record sounds better than disc, but any record will sound better than the standard CD version because of sound constraints...Bullhead and Ozma are my favorite albums by them...love Zodiac and the killer drums on its shoved.