Author Topic: Never Breathe What You Can't See  (Read 19763 times)

doomsayer

Never Breathe What You Can't See reviewed @ mxdwn.com
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2004, 02:38:58 PM »
mxdwn.com has reviewed the melvins/jello biafra collaboration Never Breathe What You Can't See

:D

Dr. Grimes

Re: Never Breathe What You Can't See
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
Mmm.. I'm not so sure about this one. It feels like the Melvins are watered-down a bit, they never reach those unique moments of clarity and momentum like on other albums. I don't think Jello has all that strong or suitable a singing voice, and he's kind of made a semi-political bitchy album lyrically without much urgency. Feels more like cattyness than genuine vehemence on his part. I don't know, I'll give it a spin again soon, as it's been a while since I've actually been inclined to listen to it.

Offline anaconda

• snake in the grass
  • Global Moderator
  • Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
    • Brad Black Design Group
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2007, 12:00:16 PM »
That being said, this is the best thing Jello's done in 10 years!!

Offline kraftwerkd

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
this is the only Melvins album i own on vinyl, and it's only been spun once.

complete shit. jello REALLY needs to find some new lyrical inspiration instead of yuppies driving SUV's and Cadillac's. dude, that's so 1990's.

and wtf? buzz can write better riffs with his fucking asshole. this album sucks.

i'm probably completely missing the point of this album, but still.

Offline Dan_Halen

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
I want to like this record so very much, but just can't seem to make myself. Ive always been a Melvins and a Dead Kennedys  fan but sometimes you just shouldn't try to mix certain things. I can't say anything bad about, but it doesn't do much for me. It's nowhere near the quality of anything The Melvins have put out on their own. I do however really like the artwork on this album. The sick fish in the wheelchair on the back cover reminds me of Muddy Mudskipper from Ren and Stimpy!
Los ticka toe rest

Offline Metalhead Cow

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
The sick fish in the wheelchair on the back cover reminds me of Muddy Mudskipper from Ren and Stimpy!

:lol: I never thought of that

Offline amazonAMAZON

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »
I think the second half of this album is a bit stronger than the first. Interesting those are the songs that ended up in alt versions on Sieg Howdy. "Plethysmograph" sounds like a word you'd find in a list of 'words songwriters should avoid' and yelling about Yuppies is a bit cliche. I really dig the style of the songs, though, pretty straight protopunk.

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
  • Tehom
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2021, 08:17:28 PM »
I hold this album in very high regard. A quality Melvins release through and through. I heard that prior to working on the songs, Jello wanted to do something Melvins influenced and that Melvins wanted to write stuff closer to Dead Kennedys. So i guess this is something of a middle ground between that. I have never taken anywhere near so much to 'Sieg Howdy' as i did this one.

Offline black stallion

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2021, 07:36:39 AM »
I hold this album in very high regard. A quality Melvins release through and through. I heard that prior to working on the songs, Jello wanted to do something Melvins influenced and that Melvins wanted to write stuff closer to Dead Kennedys. So i guess this is something of a middle ground between that. I have never taken anywhere near so much to 'Sieg Howdy' as i did this one.

totally agree, a killer album. i think Sieg Howdy, which i like too, can be seen as a collection of bsides from those recording sessions
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2021, 06:35:35 PM »

totally agree, a killer album. i think Sieg Howdy, which i like too, can be seen as a collection of bsides from those recording sessions

Yeah by definition it was the stuff they deemed not good enough to make it on to the album.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 07:08:44 PM »
I never anyone talk about "Caped Crusader." I dig that arrangement. Another one I think they could do live with Steven hollering.