The Bulls & The Bees

Started by MrLuck87, December 13, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManWithNoName

Now that my panties are no longer in a bunch let me clarify.

I understand that some people may not like what the Melvins have been doing in recent years and that's perfectly fine. We all have our favorite melvins records, periods we prefer and stuff and that's cool.

My problem is just with the fact that it seems some people here have preconceived notions of what the Melvins are and they judge their recent work based on those preconceived notions.

What I love about the Melvins is that you can't fit them in a neat little box. Every time you attempt to do that, they throw you a curveball that undermines whatever defined that neat little box.

the Melvins are everything and nothing at the same time. They are complete chaos. Having preconceived notions about the Melvins or attempting to fit them in a neat little box is missing the point entirely.

Dumpster D

What?

I'm so confused.

some may argue about the new stuff, honestly, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find better guys to fit the melvins bill than jared and coady...dont you forget it.

Dumpster D

Quote from: JUDY on February 26, 2012, 06:42:39 PM
Quote from: ManWithNoName link=topic=16413.msg384433#msg384433 4422 date=1330296940
Jared kills your boner
:lol: 
Hidden track on the next Big Belvins record, please.

Well put, Manwithnoname.

Melvins are still doing what no one else is doing - but in a different sense than how it was perceived ten or twenty years ago. That's essentially what we want, right? Melvins making something new....

When Buzz and Dale are too old to make those heavy riffs and cymbal crashes that we all know and love (let's hope it never comes to this) I hope they go on and continue their act as an old-man synthrock duel. 

LONG LIVE THE MELVINS

Oldman synthrock sounds like something I'd be into.  :wink:

Idlehanz

Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 26, 2012, 09:04:22 PM

I understand that some people may not like what the Melvins have been doing in recent years and that's perfectly fine. We all have our favorite melvins records, periods we prefer and stuff and that's cool.

My problem is just with the fact that it seems some people here have preconceived notions of what the Melvins are and they judge their recent work based on those preconceived notions.

What I love about the Melvins is that you can't fit them in a neat little box. Every time you attempt to do that, they throw you a curveball that undermines whatever defined that neat little box.

the Melvins are everything and nothing at the same time. They are complete chaos. Having preconceived notions about the Melvins or attempting to fit them in a neat little box is missing the point entirely.

I couldn't agree more.

Dumpster D

I want my Subtext under my name to read "Jared Kills your boner"

MrLuck87

Quote from: Idlehanz on February 26, 2012, 10:27:21 PM

I couldn't agree more.

x2

On a side note, the one complaint I still don't get is their songs sounding the same since Big Business joined.  I really don't hear it at all.  Look at The Water Glass, I'll Finish You Off, My Generation, and PGx3 from BSM and those songs sound nothing like anything they've done before, and that's nearly half of the album!  While the other songs are more traditional Melvins rockers I still don't feel like they're a rehash of anything.  I might get a slight vibe, like being briefly reminded of Tipping the Lion when Hospital Up starts, but it's pretty minor stuff.  Nothing more than being vaguely reminded of Sweet Willy Rollbar when I hear Mombius Hibachi.

Also, a lot of people who complain how similar the Big Business era Melvins albums are seem to rank The Ramones, Motorhead, High on Fire, Om, and The Jesus Lizard as one of their favorite bands with no complaints about how similar each of their albums are (although we all know how much most TJL fans love "Blue").  I mean I love Prick, Singles 1-12, Honky, and CoD, and I don't even consider The Bride Screamed Murder to be in my top 10 favorite Melvins albums, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't listen to it more than those 4 albums combined.  There's a certain addictive quality to the new Melvins albums (not to say that previous albums weren't addictive).  I just feel like there's more depth and subtle little things to discover than there has been in the past. 

I have more to rant about but I'll spare you.  Time to drink.   :cheers:

Dumpster D

yeah I hear what your saying about Mombius hibachi, It has a little peice of sweet willy rollbar in there.

and the Changeover riff hints of another part of a track on BSM.

:)

but It's cleverly twisted! like most good melvins.

the bloat

I'll bring this up one last time because I think it's a cool idea. The thought of Melvins continuing on for "the next generation". Perhaps the band evolves into a sort of art installment with rotating members or something like Chicken Switch. I dunno. I guess the guys in the band would have a better idea as to how this would work. As Melvins obsessives, we're alll very spoiled to revel in their consistent and quality output whether it sounds "samey" or not.

I mean, in terms of other bands that have held it together for this long, there are very few that continue to be this forward thinking. Shit, they've dabbled in thrash, electronica, ambient, acoustic, ummmm, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Oh and they seem to be good at everything they try. Most of us play or have played music and we know this isn't easy.

Get the fuck off this board if you continue to question the prowess of the mighty Melvins.

Idlehanz

Quote from: Dumpster D on February 26, 2012, 11:08:52 PM
I want my Subtext under my name to read "Jared Kills your boner"

I was thinking this might become the latest addition  :lol:

Schnabster

I prefer Melvins as a trio, with Buzz solely on vocals, with Dale sharing in when needed, but register and accept that they want to continue with BB. I think the new stuff brings nothing new to the table, but as Dijk says, it will still be a treat to catch them live.

Schnabster

Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 26, 2012, 05:39:06 PM
Quote from: homeless_dad on February 26, 2012, 04:55:40 PM
How about we rename this thread "the war on whining".
This whole fucking big melvins whining thing is getting old, real fucking fast.

The Melvins are not going to make Lysol or Bullhead ever again, it's not going to fucking happen. Go listen to those records and shut the fuck up. The three Big Melvins album do not sound alike. It's cute that you guys want to stand out from the rest of us and act like you know more about what defines the Melvins than the Melvins do but all you succeed at is coming off as giant pitchdorks.

How about all you fucking whine bags skip on the next melvins shows? put your fucking money where your mouth is.

I'm all for a critical look at their music and it's not a question of loving everything that they do. But all you dipshits whining about the big melvins because Jared kills your boner are just that, dipshits.

Don't forget that every fucking melvins album was released with a chorus of "this sucks.", "it's different", "I don't like it." only to be lauded as amazing records further on down the road.

If the melvins have become so goddamn predictable why don't you fucking negative nancies get together, record a 5 song EP and we'll put it up against The Bulls and The Bees to see how predictable the melvins really are.

/end rant.

ManWith, aren`t people allowed to have their opinion?

John Schuller

The Melvins are not going to make Lysol or Bullhead ever again, it's not going to fucking happen. Go listen to those records and shut the fuck up. The three Big Melvins album do not sound alike. It's cute that you guys want to stand out from the rest of us and act like you know more about what defines the Melvins than the Melvins do but all you succeed at is coming off as giant pitchdorks.

How about all you fucking whine bags skip on the next melvins shows? put your fucking money where your mouth is.

I'm all for a critical look at their music and it's not a question of loving everything that they do. But all you dipshits whining about the big melvins because Jared kills your boner are just that, dipshits.

Don't forget that every fucking melvins album was released with a chorus of "this sucks.", "it's different", "I don't like it." only to be lauded as amazing records further on down the road.

If the melvins have become so goddamn predictable why don't you fucking negative nancies get together, record a 5 song EP and we'll put it up against The Bulls and The Bees to see how predictable the melvins really are.

/end rant.

Well fucking said my man!!!!!!!!

The Melvins are The Melvins. Everything they do is 100% by design and created by them. They create the music they want to hear and not the music we want to hear. If they listened only to their fans they would have never moved beyond Gluey Porch Treatments.

I have been a fan since 1987 when I first saw them and have loved watching and listening to them develop. I am very excited to see what happens over the next 20 years.

black stallion

Quote from: sadcorps on February 27, 2012, 03:22:58 AM

/end rant.

Well fucking said my man!!!!!!!!

The Melvins are The Melvins. Everything they do is 100% by design and created by them. They create the music they want to hear and not the music we want to hear. If they listened only to their fans they would have never moved beyond Gluey Porch Treatments.

I have been a fan since 1987 when I first saw them and have loved watching and listening to them develop. I am very excited to see what happens over the next 20 years.

so we have to say this song is great ?  :)
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

(((O)))

Quote from: MrLuck87 on February 26, 2012, 11:15:40 PM
There's a certain addictive quality to the new Melvins albums
Actually i think that's pretty true now i think about it. I love (A)SA and NWB but never fully like Bride, yet i can see that what you said applies to Bride also. Even if i don't adore the songs there is still that intangible something that makes them special somehow. Hmm its an interesting thought there MrLuck.  :-k

black stallion

Jared Warren singing style reminds me a lot of Queen lately..it has changed a lot since the first two BB albums (plus ASA) .is it just me?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards