The Bulls & The Bees

Started by MrLuck87, December 13, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnabster

Quote from: black stallion on February 27, 2012, 06:37:24 AM
Jared Warren singing style reminds me a lot of Queen lately..it has changed a lot since the first two BB albums (plus ASA) .is it just me?

Freddie Mercury? Haven`t bothered listening to BB since Waterworks, but hearing some snapshots of new stuff they have via youtube leads me to agree with you. Especially on the high notes.

black stallion

Quote from: Schnabster on February 27, 2012, 06:58:16 AM
Quote from: black stallion on February 27, 2012, 06:37:24 AM
Jared Warren singing style reminds me a lot of Queen lately..it has changed a lot since the first two BB albums (plus ASA) .is it just me?

Freddie Mercury? Haven`t bothered listening to BB since Waterworks, but hearing some snapshots of new stuff they have via youtube leads me to agree with you. Especially on the high notes.

yep,his style changed since mind the drift
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jonE5

Quote from: Idlehanz on February 26, 2012, 10:27:21 PM
Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 26, 2012, 09:04:22 PM

I understand that some people may not like what the Melvins have been doing in recent years and that's perfectly fine. We all have our favorite melvins records, periods we prefer and stuff and that's cool.

My problem is just with the fact that it seems some people here have preconceived notions of what the Melvins are and they judge their recent work based on those preconceived notions.

What I love about the Melvins is that you can't fit them in a neat little box. Every time you attempt to do that, they throw you a curveball that undermines whatever defined that neat little box.

the Melvins are everything and nothing at the same time. They are complete chaos. Having preconceived notions about the Melvins or attempting to fit them in a neat little box is missing the point entirely.

I couldn't agree more.

=D> =D>

John Schuller

Quote from: black stallion on February 27, 2012, 03:56:36 AM
Quote from: sadcorps on February 27, 2012, 03:22:58 AM
Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 26, 2012, 05:39:06 PM
Quote from: homeless_dad on February 26, 2012, 04:55:40 PM
How about we rename this thread "the war on whining".
This whole fucking big melvins whining thing is getting old, real fucking fast.

The Melvins are not going to make Lysol or Bullhead ever again, it's not going to fucking happen. Go listen to those records and shut the fuck up. The three Big Melvins album do not sound alike. It's cute that you guys want to stand out from the rest of us and act like you know more about what defines the Melvins than the Melvins do but all you succeed at is coming off as giant pitchdorks.

How about all you fucking whine bags skip on the next melvins shows? put your fucking money where your mouth is.

I'm all for a critical look at their music and it's not a question of loving everything that they do. But all you dipshits whining about the big melvins because Jared kills your boner are just that, dipshits.

Don't forget that every fucking melvins album was released with a chorus of "this sucks.", "it's different", "I don't like it." only to be lauded as amazing records further on down the road.

If the melvins have become so goddamn predictable why don't you fucking negative nancies get together, record a 5 song EP and we'll put it up against The Bulls and The Bees to see how predictable the melvins really are.

/end rant.

Well fucking said my man!!!!!!!!

The Melvins are The Melvins. Everything they do is 100% by design and created by them. They create the music they want to hear and not the music we want to hear. If they listened only to their fans they would have never moved beyond Gluey Porch Treatments.

I have been a fan since 1987 when I first saw them and have loved watching and listening to them develop. I am very excited to see what happens over the next 20 years.

so we have to say this song is great ?  :)

Naw...but we also do not have to second guess what the Melvins are doing. I do not like ALL of their songs - but it is the second guessing or the "why don't they do this?" stuff that is silly. That is why we can all start our own bands! :)

Leroy

I don't see why there are so many complaints that it sounds like a left over track from ASA or Bride.  Pretty much every band takes some old riffs/etc from the vaults and re-develops them sometimes years down the line, and makes something new out of it.  I think the new song is pretty good, and I happen to like Bride.  At least it is a free EP , and will not cost us like $50 for limited edition super-rare 7" vinyl.

WGB

Maybe the Melvins will leave us with something like this?

Dev2.0

ManWithNoName

Quote from: Schnabster on February 27, 2012, 02:06:21 AM
ManWith, aren`t people allowed to have their opinion?
Absolutely, I'm just saying that not liking the new melvins because it doesn't sound like the old melvins is not melvins at all.

Quote from: black stallion on February 27, 2012, 03:56:36 AM
so we have to say this song is great ?  :)

Of course not, I'm just saying that not liking the new song because it's not like "old" melvins is lame.

norecess

i am too lazy to go through all the posts but sometimes the "fans" are very quick to call others "haters". in fact, no one was referring to lysol or eggnog whatever but manwith and sadcorps.

ManWithNoName

I don't have a problem with anyone not liking the new stuff nor am I calling anyone out for being haters.

All I'm saying is that if YOU don't like the new stuff it's not because the melvins have changed (or not) it's because YOU don't like it. Attributing whatever perceived quality or lack thereof to the melvins is bullshit.

John Schuller

Quote from: norecess on February 27, 2012, 08:37:35 AM
i am too lazy to go through all the posts but sometimes the "fans" are very quick to call others "haters". in fact, no one was referring to lysol or eggnog whatever but manwith and sadcorps.

I was using an example of a friend that I had who did not like Stoner Witch when it came out because it was not like Lysol. Some bands are perfect not changing...Slayer, AC/DC...some bands blow it when they change...Ramones...some bands evolve....Melvins!

(((O)))

So much discussion and we've only heard one song.  :lol:

Afterbirthmilkshake

Maybe the bulls and the bees is more like bullshit and b-sides.  Maybe it's not supposed to be the greatest new thing but more of a  "here is some other stuff we did with big business" or Here are some extras that scion paid us to record and you can have it for free.  Either way I don't feel one bit ripped off or disapointed.  I guess I'm just saying that maybe the problem starts in the expectation that everything should top everything else.  I do think that freak puke will be great though.

Afterbirthmilkshake

Quote from: dijk cheese on February 25, 2012, 12:16:37 AM
Quote from: swanky on February 24, 2012, 11:36:58 PM
Quote from: dijk cheese on February 24, 2012, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: Uncle Fester on February 24, 2012, 08:19:49 PM
Quote from: Shatz on February 24, 2012, 02:17:38 PM
Sounds like a leftover. :D
yep, you said it.
Im gonna risk being the bad guy and say I don't think its that great. buzzos singing parts are cool though. I still cant stand jared.

"it has that annoying all american sound"   

I know what you mean and I blame Jared.  He brings a whole truck stop chic thing to the band that I just don't care for.  It sounds like a t shirt with a lone wolf howling at the moon on it and a bandana

i had to turn it off halfway through, found it annoying. i'll try again later.
i have hope for the melvins lite.
do you think it sounds just kinda weak? like they are just trying to re-imagine ASA, but not really improve it? this is also what happens when you write so many songs you feel compelled to go back in the closet and dig out some riffs. then instead of conveying your realtime emotions within the entire song, you get flashbacks, causing it to just sound the same. i've learned not to go back as much, and try to write in the moment. that was wayyy to introspective. alas, this well may go dry pretty soon. time to kick out the bassist.

to be honest i just don't like the big melvins sound. the tone of the guitar and i hate to say it, the drumming too, just doesn't do it for me.
many of the songs, including this one conjure up images of college boys getting drunk with heaps of "fuck yeahs" and high fives going around. it has that annoying all american sound, i don't know how to explain it, just how it sounds to me. don't like it, lacks depth, lacks soul.
probably the only one or one of few that feels this way here, but that's my opinion. not trying to upset anyone or get into a debate.

i'd be happy if they went into the closet as you say and dug out the riffs from bullhead, or hat.
hoping that melvins lite will capture a different style than big melvins.

glen

Quote from: Candy Dazzle on February 27, 2012, 12:36:05 PM
that first song is plain & simply BORING.

GET HIM!!!!

just kidding.   HA!  :D

hey.. at least I can laugh.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

ManWithNoName

We know for a fact that Buzz writes 99% of the music yet some of you seem to blame big business for this supposed "turn for the worse". How does that make any fucking sense?

From what we know (which isn't much) , the way the melvins write is as follows: Buzz shows up with songs, presents them to the boys and says "What would you do with this?" They're free to do what they want within the parameters of the structure created by Buzz. I'm not claiming to know all the ins and outs of melvins song writing and shit, just going from what we know.

On a side note, what's wrong with a little lively discussion about the Melvins? Is this not what this board is about?

No one should be afraid to express their opinions on the Melvins but need to accept that not everyone agrees and they'll sometimes be confronted with people who disagree -- OH THE HORROR!