The Bulls & The Bees

Started by MrLuck87, December 13, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelFoley

Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 27, 2012, 12:50:48 PM
No one should be afraid to express their opinions on the Melvins but need to accept that not everyone agrees and they'll sometimes be confronted with people who disagree -- OH THE HORROR!

That's it. You seem like the one who's making the biggest deal of differing opinions.

ManWithNoName

My first post was most definitely a bit reactionary, that I admit. I don't have a problem with differing opinions, but if I disagree I'm going to state it.

If some people here are too thin-skinned to have their opinions confronted and questioned, that's not my problem.

Braykfast

"whiskey and axe handles"
- buzzo, boston, june 2010

homeless_dad

Quote from: Candy Dazzle linb][/b]k=topic=16413.msg384632#msg384632 date=1330367765]

get some new members or even better one single bass player and make something cool so us haters don't have to throw hissy fits about the mighty Melvins making dull records.

I hope Buzz is taking notes!  Doesn't he realize that the melvins world revolves around us the uber fans and not the other way around!

Honestly Buzz...

we know what's best for your band!
(end sarcasm)
Is Ian back yet??

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 27, 2012, 12:50:48 PM
We know for a fact that Buzz writes 99% of the music yet some of you seem to blame big business for this supposed "turn for the worse". How does that make any fucking sense?

I think Buzz most likely tailors his writing towards the strengths of a current line up (whichever that may be).

I mean listen to some of the other stuff the BB guys (especially Jared) have done ... usually, heavy, rocking, fun loving, or as of late oprearetic, overdramatic prog. While perhaps Melvinesque at times; usually much more lighthearted, and straightforward rock based approach ... much like the newer Melvins stuff ... I can totally hear it, can't you? Not like Buzz hasn't delved into more straightforward rock mode before ... but it was a nugget here and a nugget there ... over the last few (and seems to be new) releases this "rock" approach has seemed to dominate.

Some like, Some don't.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Schnabster

Quote from: homeless_dad on February 27, 2012, 02:41:23 PM
Quote from: Candy Dazzle linb][/b]k=topic=16413.msg384632#msg384632 date=1330367765]

get some new members or even better one single bass player and make something cool so us haters don't have to throw hissy fits about the mighty Melvins making dull records.

I hope Buzz is taking notes!  Doesn't he realize that the melvins world revolves around us the uber fans and not the other way around!

Honestly Buzz...

(end sarcasm)

I think Buzz give fuck all in what we write here. If he had read it, perhaps he had appreciated the critizism, perhaps not, but most probably he would have been nevermind. The whiners will anyhow buy the new record, no matter if they like it or not, that`s guaranteed.

I really like the new track, it'd fit much better on TBSM than that awful Who cover.  8)

Idlehanz

I feel inclined to throw in my 2 cents on the new track.  And the Big Melvins conversation.

This new tune is hard to place.  It incorporates everything I've ever loved about the Melvins, but at the same time, feels like something I wasn't expecting.  That being said, after being a fan since 1991 or so, I know better than to expect something from them.  To expect a song or album to sound like anything else they've done is nonsensical.  You haven't been a fan very long if you're expecting the same thing twice in a row.  And I let my expectations get ahead of my common knowledge of the band.  To sit and think you're going to get another Lysol, Bullhead, Houdini, or even GPT is insane.  They've done it and moved on and so should you.  The Melvins and more specifically Dale are the only band where I've ever considered a drumbeat to be a riff.  Same goes for Buzz's vocals.  The only band ever to make me feel like the drums and vocals are musical instruments in a song.  They incorporate everything possible into a song in a way that almost no other band cares to.

Adding Jared and Coady only made them better IMO.  I fucking love seeing vid's of Dale and Coady playing in perfect synchronicity.  Anyone who plays drums know's how hard Dale's beats are.  Imagine trying to play them along with him?!  Jared's voice sync's up and accent's Buzz's.  Big Biz's songs and style sync's right with the Melvins.  How this isn't a musical match made in heaven for anyone I just don't get.  ASA was such a powerful introduction to the next rung on the Melvins ladder.  Look, we all know Dale is a powerhouse.  We all love seeing Dale kill it solo behind the kit.  But what I don't get is why some people hate on having two drummers. Don't let your love of the bands old music get in the way of enjoying the new music.  Be glad that a good band has made it this far and given us this much music and entertainment.  Be glad that they are still doing it and that they are putting their music out there in the best way that makes them money and still let's us hear it. 

Well, I feel better.       

homeless_dad

Quote from: Schnabster on February 28, 2012, 02:16:57 AM

Honestly Buzz...

(end sarcasm)

I think Buzz give fuck all in what we write here. If he had read it, perhaps he had appreciated the critizism, perhaps not, but most probably he would have been nevermind. The whiners will anyhow buy the new record, no matter if they like it or not, that`s guaranteed.

A critique of the art is one thing but to council Buzz as to how the band should or shouldn't sound or who should or shouldn't be a member is  insulting.
Is Ian back yet??

black stallion

i'd be interested in buying a physical copy of this EP,what i have to do?contact Scion?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

(((O)))

Quote from: Idlehanz on February 28, 2012, 03:06:08 AM
The Melvins and more specifically Dale are the only band where I've ever considered a drumbeat to be a riff
Oh god yeah. I never thought about it in that exact manner before but that is a very good way of describing it.

Quote from: Idlehanz on February 28, 2012, 03:06:08 AM
I fucking love seeing vid's of Dale and Coady playing in perfect synchronicity.     
:cheers:

Schnabster

Quote from: homeless_dad on February 28, 2012, 04:02:54 AM
Quote from: Schnabster on February 28, 2012, 02:16:57 AM

Honestly Buzz...

(end sarcasm)

A critique of the art is one thing but to council Buzz as to how the band should or shouldn't sound or who should or shouldn't be a member is  insulting.

No one here is in the position to direct anything, but as fanboys we have our different opinions. In my book Buzz and Dale are ingenious, but I believe that no matter if they are in 100% control of the band that BB is now a part of, the double drumming and Jareds vocal + BBs style lays certain terms and has an effect on how stuff sounds. If that`s Buzz` intention that`s ok, but us fanboys between must have a possibility to exchange views.

PS! Not everything made together with BB is bad in my book, there are som real highlights on the prior records, and live they are amazing.

Lunica

So. I listened to the war on wisdom.

First of all, I love the melvins. But I can
i don't have a square to spare. can't spare a square.

black stallion

Quote from: Lunica on February 28, 2012, 06:40:51 AM

But hey, at least the kids seem to like it - there has seemed to be a lot more younger people at the shows since the bands merged. i guess its more accessible now..

so true
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

irezumi

I would love it if the next tour was just a 3 piece again. Not saying I dont like the 4 piece version of melvins, just a preference to see them back to 'normal'.