Author Topic: Melvins Lite - Freak Puke  (Read 174418 times)

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
Re: Melvins Lite - Freak Puke
« Reply #960 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:40 AM »
Album of the year. I can't pick a favorite song yet, I love them all. Can't wait to see the first show of this tour 7/1.

I know we have about half a year to go, but I can't think of anything on the horizon that would best it for album of the year.

The new Tomahawk album!

*runs off*

williamblakestyger

« Reply #961 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »
melvins light ultra with al cisneros

Offline Metalhead Cow

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 14, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
"This is Melvins 18th record."

He can't even count. Even if you disregard all their collaborations, mangled demos, 6, 8, 10, 26 songs, the solos, and the re-release of Gluey, they've still released more than 18 records. What the fudge, man. His lack of research is a little disappointing.

Well, wikipedia counts Freak Puke as their 18th studio album. That's the thing with the Melvins-everyone can agree that Metallica has 9 studio albums, High On Fire has 6 studio albums, Electric Wizard has 7 studio albums, etc. etc. etc.
But no one can agree how many studio albums the Melvins have released. They're kind of complicated with their releases.  This is how wikipedia lists it:

-Gluey Porch Treatments
-Ozma
-Bullhead
-Lysol
-Houdini
-Prick
-Stoner Witch
-Stag
-Honky
-The Maggot
-The Bootlicker
-The Crybaby
-Electroretard
-Hostile Ambient Takeover
-A Senile Animal
-Nude With Boots
-The Bride Screamed Murder
-Freak Puke

So that's 18 albums. Albums like Mangled Demos 1983, Singles 1-12, or EPs (Eggnog, The Bulls & The Bees) don't count. Wikipedia doesn't count Pig Of The Roman Empire, Never Breathe What You Can't See, and Sieg Howdy! as true Melvins studio albums, as they're collaborations. They're credited as Melvins/Lustmord and Melvins/Jello Biafra, not Melvins or the Melvins. But if you count those three albums than Freak Puke is their 21st studio album. If you count Pigs but not the Jello releases, than it's their 19th.

Personally, I consider Freak Puke to be their 21st studio album.

Offline homeless_dad

• watches fox red eye
  • The lone melmon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
Don't forget the Walsby releases.  Those are 2 of the best, IMO.
Is Ian back yet??

Offline Metalhead Cow

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 14, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
I didn't even watch the video  :-"

MrLuck87

« Reply #965 on: June 14, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

Awesome!  Any chance you could post the tabs to the songs you've covered?

Offline Pound4abrown

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 14, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
Album of the year. I can't pick a favorite song yet, I love them all. Can't wait to see the first show of this tour 7/1.

I know we have about half a year to go, but I can't think of anything on the horizon that would best it for album of the year.

The new Tomahawk album!

*runs off*

One can hope, I really was not a fan of Anonymous.

Offline TheSwingSet

• knows moss
  • i forgot to get my pills, i've got to go downtown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »
after a full week of absorption of this album i cannot wait to hear this material live.....the subtle nuances of trevors bass are fucking lethal.
well done melvins.
"SwingSet you look like a bunch of guys I know in Ireland.  It's a particular  look I can't describe.  A sort of don't fuck with me or I'll kill you look.
I mean all this in the nicest possible way of course"
--conj

Offline TosT

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
Re: Freak Puke
« Reply #968 on: June 14, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
this album is a goddamned blessing

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 14, 2012, 11:24:09 PM »

-Gluey Porch Treatments
-Ozma
-Bullhead
-Lysol
-Houdini
-Prick
-Stoner Witch
-Stag
-Honky
-The Maggot
-The Bootlicker
-The Crybaby
-Electroretard
-A Senile Animal
-Nude With Boots
-Freak Puke

Surely Electroretard can't be considered an album? It's basically an EP of covers (of other bands & their own songs). Under no circumstances is that a studio album. I think it's debatable Prick is too but POTRE and the first Jello CD should be considered Melvins albums, Sieg Howdy was just a cash grab EP.

So IMO it's 20 albums (w/ Prick) or 19 albums (w/o Prick).

Interestingly Buzz considers Colossus of Destiny their best album despite being a live album.

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
One can hope, I really was not a fan of Anonymous.

Agreed, I didn't think much of it or Mit Gas either but still very much rate their first album.

Offline JUDY

• Global Moderator
  • louisville lip service
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 15, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »

-Gluey Porch Treatments
-Ozma
-Bullhead
-Lysol
-Houdini
-Prick
-Stoner Witch
-Stag
-Honky
-The Maggot
-The Bootlicker
-The Crybaby
-Electroretard
-A Senile Animal
-Nude With Boots
-Freak Puke

Surely Electroretard can't be considered an album? It's basically an EP of covers (of other bands & their own songs). Under no circumstances is that a studio album. I think it's debatable Prick is too but POTRE and the first Jello CD should be considered Melvins albums, Sieg Howdy was just a cash grab EP.

So IMO it's 20 albums (w/ Prick) or 19 albums (w/o Prick).

I hate the fact that Eggnog isn't on that list. It's an EP, yeah, but it still feels like a studio album....
The Bulls and the Bees is about 2:30 longer (I know this because I timed it on my drive home from my studio-which is egg-sactly one Eggnog long) but that feels like an EP. Eggnog does not.

If Electroretard can make the list, I say COD, Prick, and Eggnog can, too.
It's an endless debate. No one wins.
I think we should put it in a jar labeled 'melvins'

Offline Beard

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 15, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
I don't know why people feel the need to distinguish between studio albums and live albums and the sort. I mean if the band worked on an album, even if its a collab. or a collection of covers, they still put hours/days/weeks/months into it. They should have all of their releases acknowledged, not just the ones with original material.

Surely Electroretard can't be considered an album? It's basically an EP of covers (of other bands & their own songs). Under no circumstances is that a studio album.

But that being said I do agree with you that Electroretard shouldn't be considered a studio album if you're not even counting POTRE or the Jelvins releases. That doesn't even make sense.  :P

I hate the fact that Eggnog isn't on that list. It's an EP, yeah, but it still feels like a studio album....
The Bulls and the Bees is about 2:30 longer (I know this because I timed it on my drive home from my studio-which is egg-sactly one Eggnog long) but that feels like an EP. Eggnog does not.

If Electroretard can make the list, I say COD, Prick, and Eggnog can, too.
It's an endless debate. No one wins.

And that's another great point, the only difference between EPs and LPs is play length... Disregarding someone's efforts because it only has 4 tracks is a joke. I'd rather have 4 kickass songs than 12 ok songs. 

Offline JUDY

• Global Moderator
  • louisville lip service
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 15, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »
I don't know why people feel the need to distinguish between studio albums and live albums and the sort. I mean if the band worked on an album, even if its a collab. or a collection of covers, they still put hours/days/weeks/months into it. They should have all of their releases acknowledged, not just the ones with original material.

Agreed.

Just take a look at this disography. Tons of releases and tons of hard work.
Melvins are without a doubt the hardest working band in the business....and this proves it....
http://www.themelvins.net/wiki/index.php?title=Melvins_Discography
I think we should put it in a jar labeled 'melvins'

(((O)))

« Reply #974 on: June 15, 2012, 04:46:50 AM »
But that being said I do agree with you that Electroretard shouldn't be considered a studio album
To me Electroretard is totally an album. Sure it's covers and reworked songs but it's what they recorded and released. Therefore i declare ALBUM. End of.  :lol: