Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Started by connor272, February 16, 2012, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metalhead Cow

kdools

Holy Barbarians blew me away.

Sooo good.

Loving this new album, a step above the Big Business stuff in my opinion.  Feels like it has more emotion.

Justafilthylurker

Quote from: kdools on June 10, 2012, 01:30:32 AM

Sooo good.

Loving this new album, a step above the Big Business stuff in my opinion.  Feels like it has more emotion.

Nude with Boots
The War on Wisdom
PG x 3
Hospital Up
We Are Doomed
The Kicking Machine
The Star Spangled Banner
Billy Fish
I'll Finish You Off
Climax of Civilized Worm

Have you no soul man? Were you not moved?

EDIT:

A REALLY LONG WAIT?
FRIENDS BEFORE LARRY?

(((O)))

Quote from: Justafilthylurker on June 10, 2012, 06:01:26 AM
I think he may have meant "emotion" in more general terms as in "genuine intent" or more "true" or such.

jonE5

Quote from: (PAUL) on June 09, 2012, 05:46:10 PM
Quote from: lazybones on June 09, 2012, 07:29:16 AM
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but has anyone decoded the secret message in the inside cover art?  I don't have a magnifier or mirror handy  :lol:

and i picked up a shovel and i washed it down. can't deal with the hands and the body as i bought them another round. and the mole and the money and i can't deny as i picked up a gun from the table and i told them another lie. gonna tell you a story and it ain't no lie i put my hand in my pocket and looked inside. saw the smoke and the fire and i watched it burn and i told him you're not forgiven and i said that he'll never learn.

Thank you sir!

Dan_Halen

Sooo good.

I agree but would word it differently...

A step in a different direction that has totally blown my mind. Bulls and Bees was an awesome new Melvins record I wanted, Freak Puke is an unexpected masterpiece that I didn't know was possible.
Los ticka toe rest

Idlehanz

I think I listened to this album 10 times in a row while remodeling our bathroom today and it just gets better and better.  I don't think it's better than any 4 piece albums, I just think it's so unique, unusual, and new sounding.  I can't wait to see how this is handled live. Live is always so much better.

Metalhead Cow

Sooo good.

Nude with Boots
The War on Wisdom
PG x 3
Hospital Up
We Are Doomed
The Kicking Machine
The Star Spangled Banner
Billy Fish
I'll Finish You Off
Climax of Civilized Worm

EDIT:

A REALLY LONG WAIT?
FRIENDS BEFORE LARRY?

=D>

MrLuck87

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on June 10, 2012, 09:50:26 PM

Sooo good.

Nude with Boots
The War on Wisdom
PG x 3
Hospital Up
We Are Doomed
The Kicking Machine
The Star Spangled Banner
Billy Fish
I'll Finish You Off
Climax of Civilized Worm

EDIT:

A REALLY LONG WAIT?
FRIENDS BEFORE LARRY?

=D>

MrLuck x 3

On a side note, it's interesting to me that no one has complained about the length of Freak Puke even though it's a second shorter than Nude With Boots!  I never got that complaint to begin with but it does seem like people who brought that up were just nit picking the Jared and Coady line up.

anaconda

Freak Puke = Master Puke! (if Puke is substituted by the word 'piece'.

BB should watch their asses, this IS the future of Melvins! Important, timeless, THE BOMB!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (insert serious face here)

kdools

Quote from: Dan_Halen on June 10, 2012, 10:33:59 AM

Sooo good.

I agree but would word it differently...

A step in a different direction that has totally blown my mind. Bulls and Bees was an awesome new Melvins record I wanted, Freak Puke is an unexpected masterpiece that I didn't know was possible.

yea this is the better way to put it.

Don't get me wrong, the BB stuff is amazing but just not as.....intimate i guess.

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: MrLuck87 on June 10, 2012, 10:27:07 PM
Quote from: Metalhead Cow on June 10, 2012, 09:50:26 PM

Sooo good.

Nude with Boots
The War on Wisdom
PG x 3
Hospital Up
We Are Doomed
The Kicking Machine
The Star Spangled Banner
Billy Fish
I'll Finish You Off
Climax of Civilized Worm

EDIT:

A REALLY LONG WAIT?
FRIENDS BEFORE LARRY?

=D>

MrLuck x 3

On a side note, it's interesting to me that no one has complained about the length of Freak Puke even though it's a second shorter than Nude With Boots!  I never got that complaint to begin with but it does seem like people who brought that up were just nit picking the Jared and Coady line up.

That's a good point. I've never had a problem with the length of any of their albums-They're fine the way they are. I think it's silly if people were complaining about the length of Nude With Boots. Bullhead, Lysol, Ozma (without Gluey Porch Treatment tracks) and The Bootlicker are all shorter I think. It's interesting to note that A Senile Animal, Nude With Boots, and Freak Puke are all around 41-42 minutes. Bride is a little bit longer-around 45 minutes, according to my itunes. I don't think any of this really matters though.  :P

Metalhead Cow

The other day I had freak puke in the car and I was pulling out of a parking lot. There were cars parked to my left and right. I turned on the car and the CD resumed where I left it. It was right at the end of Worm Farm Waltz with the cool noice outro. As I was pulling out I imagined that the music was actually the sound of my car scraping against the cars next to me.  :lol:

(((O)))

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on June 11, 2012, 01:11:11 AM
all around 41-42 minutes.
It's the perfect length.  ....or so im told anyway.  8-[ 8-[

andy the angry bald man

picked it up over the weekend, listened three times just yesterday.  it's good.  very good.  the choice to use the upright bass was a perfect one, if you ask me-- especially when dunn uses the bow.  and i love love LOVE the fact that they didn't use any bass amps -- it sounds so much more natural when it's just a mic.  i like when you can hear the room..... 

i don't think it's better or worse than any of the BB lineup stuff.  it's just... a little different.  different is good.

a lot of the production of the bass and drums reminds me of primus...  this is not a bad thing at all. 

great album.  can't wait to see it live. 

oh, also-- does anyone know why buzz stopped using les paul guitars?  that's my only complaint: those aluminum guitars make his tone seem kinda thin.  it's not awful, but i much prefer the big heavy melvins guitar sound.