Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Started by connor272, February 16, 2012, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Quote from: andy the angry bald man on June 11, 2012, 08:15:45 AM

oh, also-- does anyone know why buzz stopped using les paul guitars?  that's my only complaint: those aluminum guitars make his tone seem kinda thin.  it's not awful, but i much prefer the big heavy melvins guitar sound.

he says EGC aluminum guitars are better than LP's
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

acid policy

Quote from: black stallion on June 09, 2012, 04:49:58 AM
Quote from: acid policy on June 08, 2012, 08:57:49 PM
it sounds like a different band

you mean than the previous stuff recorded with Big Biz?if so i agree with you

not really. the 1940s drumset, the standup bass, and what i think are different guitar tones all make a new sound for the melvins. the vocals, guitar and drums are recognizably buzz and dale of course but it seems more like a new band than a melvins album. its melvins LITE

andy the angry bald man

Quote from: )))((( on June 11, 2012, 08:44:11 AM
oh, also-- does anyone know why buzz stopped using les paul guitars?
He said he prefers the light weight of the EGC's and the thin necks. He talks about that and more here.

MELVINS Houdini Riff Lesson1

hmm, ok, fair enough.  i still think les pauls sound better, personally, but it seems that buzzo can't quite give em up totally himself, what with having the ECG setup like an LP and all  :)

jonE5

Quote from: andy the angry bald man on June 11, 2012, 09:38:46 AM
He said he prefers the light weight of the EGC's and the thin necks. He talks about that and more here.

hmm, ok, fair enough.  i still think les pauls sound better, personally, but it seems that buzzo can't quite give em up totally himself, what with having the ECG setup like an LP and all  :)

His guitar tone live is the best I have ever heard it. The EGC guitars sound Brutal, and you can tell how much fun he is having playing them. The sound is not thin.. but it is brighter. It kind of cuts through everything like a knife.

Dan_Halen

I agree, the saying is true...Only a Gibson is good enough! I think Les Pauls are heavy too...that's why I use an SG. In Buzz's defense I think he's rocked a les paul long enough where he's entitled to a change at this point. I don't dislike his current tone, it is bright and cuts but I do miss some of the more chunky tone of the Les Paul. When it comes down to it tho, I just like hearing Buzz play guitar....any guitar! :lol:
Los ticka toe rest

EvilNewWarGod

I figured I would start a thread for the new masterpiece since there isn't one yet. Personally, this is my favorite Melvins album since H.A.T. and I hope they release more under the Melvins Lite moniker in the future. Hopefully Trevor Dunn will be a permanent fixture in the band.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

Dan_Halen

Trevor Dunn is like a big bottle of ketchup. He makes just about anything he is involved with better!!! Can't wait to hear him on the new Tomahawk album when it comes out in the fall. Freak Puke is an amazing album, however it does require a bunch of listens to really get into it because it is very complex. Trevor really utilizes the stand up bass to it's full potential. Oh and Buzz and Dale are the shit like always!  :D
Los ticka toe rest

moose

in the liner notes it says no amp for the bass was needed, so what, did they just mic it, or plug it into the soundboard, I'm not recording savvy. Also, what are the words scrolling across the booklet? haven't gotten out my fuggin microscope.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

williamblakestyger

amazing freak puke love
cannot wait for october
hostile bootlicker takeover
ambient yet
thanks

(((O)))

Quote from: Dan_Halen on June 11, 2012, 03:34:12 PM
Trevor Dunn is like a big bottle of ketchup. He makes just about anything he is involved with better!!

That's the full quote. When you only type the first part of course it sounds dumb.  I don't care if you think I'm stupid or wanna make fun, but please don't twist my words around. I'd rather hear your thoughts about Freak Puke personally.
Oh no i don't think you're stupid at all nor was i trying to make fun. Im just so used to going off on tangents on here and being silly.

For what it's worth i think i may agree with you. Trevor is a great player. I do find i can't hear him in parts of the album but the parts i do find audible he fits right in there. I loved his work on Houdini Live too. Ultimately, although i am not overly blown away by this release like most here seem to be, i do certainly hope to hear more Lite releases in due course. It's a compelling mix for sure.

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: moose on June 11, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
in the liner notes it says no amp for the bass was needed, so what, did they just mic it, or plug it into the soundboard, I'm not recording savvy. Also, what are the words scrolling across the booklet? haven't gotten out my fuggin microscope.

the words are lyrics for worm farm waltz-I think someone posted it a few pages back in this thread.

spliff(TONE)

Quote from: Dan_Halen on June 11, 2012, 12:00:18 PM

I agree, the saying is true...Only a Gibson is good enough! I think Les Pauls are heavy too...that's why I use an SG. In Buzz's defense I think he's rocked a les paul long enough where he's entitled to a change at this point. I don't dislike his current tone, it is bright and cuts but I do miss some of the more chunky tone of the Les Paul. When it comes down to it tho, I just like hearing Buzz play guitar....any guitar! :lol:

When it comes to the live show, I'd say Buzz' tone is better than ever. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference between his sound with a Gibson and an EGC though.

Pound4abrown

According to my Itunes, I have just over 40 plays on Freak Puke, which is not all that surprising, as I tend to just loop new albums once they come out.
Put me in the camp of folks who hope this is not a one-off, and that the rumored other 40 or so songs do, one day see a release.
Personally, I would totally dig a sequence of albums that goes one four-piece, one three-piece, one four-piece, one three-piece. Ect, ect, ect.

Dan_Halen

Quote from: )))((( on June 11, 2012, 03:38:16 PM
Quote from: Dan_Halen on June 11, 2012, 03:34:12 PM
Trevor Dunn is like a big bottle of ketchup. He makes just about anything he is involved with better!!

That's the full quote. When you only type the first part of course it sounds dumb.  I don't care if you think I'm stupid or wanna make fun, but please don't twist my words around. I'd rather hear your thoughts about Freak Puke personally.
Oh no i don't think you're stupid at all nor was i trying to make fun. I'm just so used to going off on tangents on here and being silly.

For what it's worth i think i may agree with you. Trevor is a great player. I do find i can't hear him in parts of the album but the parts i do find audible he fits right in there. I loved his work on Houdini Live too. Ultimately, although i am not overly blown away by this release like most here seem to be, i do certainly hope to hear more Lite releases in due course. It's a compelling mix for sure.

My apologies I think I misinterpreted what you were saying... it took me a good 5+ listens to really get into it completely.  I don't love every track but the ones I do I am really feeling. Whether its your cup of tea or not it's at least a very interesting record. I can't wait to see Trevor play with them in New Haven!

Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 11, 2012, 06:36:54 PM

Personally, I would totally dig a sequence of albums that goes one four-piece, one three-piece, one four-piece, one three-piece. Ect, ect, ect.

...or a Melvins Lite Trilogy  over the next 3-4 months? :P
Los ticka toe rest

Dan_Halen

Quote from: moose on June 11, 2012, 03:36:18 PM
in the liner notes it says no amp for the bass was needed, so what, did they just mic it, or plug it into the soundboard, I'm not recording savvy.

They most likely used a few microphones in different spots, definitely one near the f-holes on the bass where the main sound comes out. Also possibly one near the top off the bass, and even possibly a further away room mic. They might have also used a pickup on it and run it through a direct box directly into the board. Then the blending begins  :D However they mic'd it up it sounds good, but then again when your using a sweet Czeck bass from the 50's that helps the sound too!

Heres how I believe he got the sound at the end of Worm Farm Waltz which he posted on his site:

http://www.trevordunn.net/mallet.html
Los ticka toe rest