Melvins in Sacramento, Ca Sunday, Sept 2

Started by Idlehanz, August 19, 2012, 11:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrimReaper

Melvins sure keep busy. I'm having a hard time keeping up.

black stallion

very cool! i wonder what the set list for this show will be
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jules

Idlehanz

Quote from: jules on August 20, 2012, 01:28:21 PM
Maybe it's a warm-up for the big one.
I was thinking that too, but it's advertised as Melvins, not Melvins Lite.  And the advertising picture is of the 4 piece. 

alfunso

Yeah, I have been pondering this gig myself. I have a theory that Trevor Dunn may be busy with other projects and for some reason can't make this gig. It is odd that this show is not part of the 51/50 tour, but sits listed all by itself on the tour page.
  Merch Mavens: any idea if there will be an avalanche of new merch at this gig ?, or will the 51/50 merch only show up later in the month? on the offical 51/50 dates?
  I may try to make it to Sucramento in any case,,alfunso   

Metalhead Cow

I'm looking forward to seeing what songs they'll be playing.

Melissa

Quote from: Idlehanz on August 20, 2012, 04:39:50 PM
Quote from: jules on August 20, 2012, 01:28:21 PM
Maybe it's a warm-up for the big one.
I was thinking that too, but it's advertised as Melvins, not Melvins Lite.  And the advertising picture is of the 4 piece.
From Big Biz on Twitter:
Tonight in Sacramento with melvins lite and Federation X at Ace Of Spades!

(the) flutter nuts

WHERE IS THE REVIEW!!!! SETLIS???, MERCH??? C'MON PEOPLE!!!!
I got the shits real bad.

jonE5

:excited: :excited:

I heard that there was a Lot of cool Merch last night

C'mon people Report!

prerunnergreg

two words...fucking awesome! Ive seen the Melvins 5 times now and this topped them all. Quick synopsis of my day and show. Was a lazy Sunday, put the rug rat down for a nap, put Freak Puke on the hifi and was enjoying that while perusing Twitter...low and behold, a show in Sac, my new home town. Mentioned it to the wifey and was granted leave (she loves the Mevins and BB too, but we have a special-needs kid and one of us has to be with him...so no baby sitter yet). She is a saint. Ordered a ticket on-line, tossed on some clean clothes and 30 min later Im at the venue...a decent sized bar in downtown Sac.
Doors opened at 7, I got there at 7:15-ish....Fed X was already into their set. I have become a fan of Walsby, as is my woman, so I was hoping to talk to him a bit while buying cool merch for the both of us. There was so much to choose from I just got a couple posters and two-tone vinyl copy of Bulls and Bees. I follow Brian on Facebook, and was hoping to chat with him a bit, but it was just too loud....maybe next time. Fed X was good, but Ive never heard them before and didnt know any songs. As soon as they were done I moved right to the front of the stage, staking my territory...id have marked it with caution tape and pissed like a dog if it would have helped. Ive found that dead-center up against the stage is how to best witness these shows.
After a quick break-down/set-up the Biz were in full swing. Ive never seen the guitar player (Scott?) before, but it seems like these guys are having a good time. Jarod mentioned having to change the name of the new album from Wild Kingdom to something else for legal reasons....to that I say fuck Marlin Perkins and MoO. That show hasnt been relevant in 100 years and the Biz are here and now. Just my $.02. As for a set list? I cant remember my phone number, so a set list from memory is just about impossible, but it was all the standards and favorites, except for the Siouxsie and the Banshees cover, what the fuck was that? I must add that I was about 5 feet from Coady and that dude must hate his kit, he pummels the drums. Should change his name to Chris and call his kit Rhianna. As usually, they tore it up and made me smile.
Melvins Lite were up next. After a bit of an intermission, the aural onslaught began. Now, Im not a fan of the noisy/experimental/ avaunt-guard Melvins, so when I first heard Freak Puke I was pleasantly surprised at how musical it is and how little noise/feedback/ear-file-bullshit is on it. Id say its one of my favorite albums from them.  Seeing this combo, with Trevor on upright bass (with his funky "nerd" attire on) was nothing short of incredible! Not only was I in the presence of three great musicians, the sound was astounding. Im not sure of the actual frequency, but that big ass bass must go an octave lower than normal E. I have a good sound system at home and CD's just dont even come anywhere close to capturing the energy of that bass. I was floored. Buzz played flawlessly as usual, he makes playing look so effortless. And Dale mixed it up with brushes and other drumming implements (sorry, im not a musician). Again, I dont recall a set list but they did play Capt Pungent/berthas, a favorite that ive never heard them play live. There was a pit and a bunch of "dancing" morons that kept smashing into my back, but that's the price you gotta pay to be up front. Seemed like they played a bit longer than past shows and a variety of favorites but I was in the car and headed home by 10:30. Overall a great show and I highly recommend that you dont miss this line-up.
blah.

johnnyg

The show was awesome. The set was fairly similar to the last Melvins lite tour, except the outro this time is mindblowing. Basically, Trevor starts improvising and Buzz and dale leave the stage. Trevor keeps playing and then Buzz and dale re-take the stage and they do an extended jam based around a melvins tune for like 20 minutes. Amazing.

El Hombre

Big Business:
Always Never Know When To Quit
Shields
Wild Kingdom (Battlefields Forever)
Hands Up
Another 4th of July...Ruined
Focus Pocus
Into the Light (Siouxsie and the Banshees cover)
Just as the Day Was Dawning

The only addition to the Melvins set was Hooch replacing Freak Puke.

There was tons of merch - I managed to grab The Bulls and The Bess 10", one of the Post Moral splits, a 51 States/51 Days poster, a shirt, Here Come the Waterworks, and the Battlefields Forever 7".

There were definitely a few assholes in the crowd, but hey, it's Sacramento.

blewis

Quote from: "El Hombre" on September 03, 2012, 02:58:28 PM
Big Business:
Always Never Know When To Quit
Shields
Wild Kingdom (Battlefields Forever)
Hands Up
Another 4th of July...Ruined
Focus Pocus
Into the Light (Siouxsie and the Banshees cover)
Just as the Day Was Dawning

The only addition to the Melvins set was Hooch replacing Freak Puke.

There was tons of merch - I managed to grab The Bulls and The Bess 10", one of the Post Moral splits, a 51 States/51 Days poster, a shirt, Here Come the Waterworks, and the Battlefields Forever 7".

There were definitely a few assholes in the crowd, but hey, it's Sacramento.

Another 4th of July...Ruined !!!   :cheers:
The one and only....

black stallion

Quote from: johnnyg on September 03, 2012, 02:54:44 PM
Basically, Trevor starts improvising and Buzz and dale leave the stage. Trevor keeps playing and then Buzz and dale re-take the stage and they do an extended jam based around a melvins tune for like 20 minutes. Amazing.

:love:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards