Everybody Loves Sausages

Started by black stallion, February 08, 2013, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Ten Beers

I wonder what happened with the Neil Young covers they recorded recently w/ J Mascis. If anyone has a chance to ask Buzz/Dale, an answer would be appreciated. Need to hear that stuff.

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on March 04, 2013, 05:23:25 PM
I wonder what happened with the Neil Young covers they recorded recently w/ J Mascis. If anyone has a chance to ask Buzz/Dale, an answer would be appreciated. Need to hear that stuff.

I didn't know about that and I really want to hear them! :shock:
Buzz was badmouthing Neil Young in a recent interview:

Melvins Lite - Freak Puke - Interview & Live Performance

homeless_dad

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on March 04, 2013, 05:23:25 PM
What songs?  Do you know of a link to any of them?
Is Ian back yet??

anaconda

Dale mentions it in the MetalSucks interview:

I love what you did on the Lou Barlow record Goodnight Unknown.

He's a friend of mine and we talked about maybe doing something in the future. One of the things we talked about doing is one of those singles I mentioned with Dinosaur Jr. I think we're doing Neil Young songs.

I saw J. Mascis cover "Cortez The Killer" at a Neil Young tribute concert and it was amazing.

Well, I know what songs we're doing already and that isn't one of them, only because that one might be hard to do. Also, the way we're doing it is we're recording our parts and then sending it to them and they record their parts on it. But we did do something off of Zuma. It's a cover we used to do, not sure if you'd know that or not. We've been longtime Neil Young fans. Whether metal people will care about that or not, I don't know.

Full interview here:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/03/13/dale-crover-the-metalsucks-interview

Chief Ten Beers

Cool interview. On what Buzz said about Neil:
Yeah, Buzz is right on most of that. Where WAS Neil in the '70s/'80s bitching about cassettes?. He didn't care much then. Buzz is right though, MP3s ARE today's cassettes. And if Neil's such an audiophile, how do you explain the overall production on most of his albums from the '80s? :shock: He didn't go back to analog sounding albums until Ragged Glory. Neil's also been very anti-CD for quite some time now, was trying to push DVD-A for years, and now that's pretty much a dead medium. CDs are fucking fine. Blu-Ray will die out soon too probably. How good do you think Neil's hearing really is, after 40 yrs of severely loud arena shows? Those '90s tour probably took a lot of his hearing away.

Also round the 10 min mark - where Buzz says Neil hasn't done anything good lately, then looking at Trevor/Dale for agreement, just look at Dale :lol: He wants to not agree, but just goes with it to keep the interview flowing. It would have been cool to see a Buzz/Dale debate. Sorry, Buzz - Neil's last several albums have been great. We'll see where Buzz is at musically when he's '67, if he's in the game that long. I'm  not just saying Neil's recent work is good "for a guy who's 67", it's great music period.

Now that you re-posted that, I'm not sure if those Neil covers were Melvins sessions w/ J sitting in, or Dino Jr. sessions w/ Dale sitting in. Either way, I want to hear it.

Rev. Mike

Neil hasn't put out a full album approaching "good" in 20 years. And the recent ones most heralded, Le Noise and Psychedelic PIll are fucking turds, overbaked hippie nostalgia bullshit.

danimal

Hey. I'm writing my review right now. Are there any particular songs any of you guys want to read about?

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: danimal on March 08, 2013, 12:13:47 PM
Hey. I'm writing my review right now. Are there any particular songs any of you guys want to read about?

Umm yeah, all of 'em!

Barring that ...   "In Every Dream Home"
                        "Station To Station"
                        "Set It On Fire"                     
                        "Romance"

Yeah, those ones ...
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

danimal

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on March 08, 2013, 01:38:24 PM
Quote from: danimal on March 08, 2013, 12:13:47 PM

Umm yeah, all of 'em!

Barring that ...   "In Every Dream Home"
                        "Station To Station"
                        "Set It On Fire"                     
                        "Romance"

Yeah, those ones ...

I really hate song by song album reviews. I actually submitted it already but mentioned the first two songs on your list. Station to Station is amazing.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: danimal on March 08, 2013, 01:59:13 PM
I actually submitted it already

When will it be readable by the masses?
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

homeless_dad

Quote from: Rev. Mike on March 08, 2013, 10:19:26 AM
Neil hasn't put out a full album approaching "good" in 20 years. And the recent ones most heralded, Le Noise and Psychedelic PIll are fucking turds, overbaked hippie nostalgia bullshit.
I love Silver & Gold!  Came out in 2000. 

Saw Neil during the Greendale tour in '03 or'04. :?  I lost intrest after about 5 minutes.  Haven't heard anything new from him since.

Is Ian back yet??

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: homeless_dad on March 08, 2013, 03:17:44 PM

Saw Neil during the Greendale tour in '03 or'04. :?  I lost intrest after about 5 minutes.  Haven't heard anything new from him since.

I pretty much ignored that album when it came out. Finally checked it out last year, and was surprised at how good it was. The newest one isn't really groundbreaking, standard Horse formula, and it's damn good. I'm quite certain that if Buzz hyped up Psychedelic Pill, there'd be a 5 page thread on that album here and it would be on everyone's top of 2012 list. :P

(the) flutter nuts

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on March 08, 2013, 07:19:00 PM
Quote from: homeless_dad on March 08, 2013, 03:17:44 PM

I pretty much ignored that album when it came out. Finally checked it out last year, and was surprised at how good it was. The newest one isn't really groundbreaking, standard Horse formula, and it's damn good. I'm quite certain that if Buzz hyped up Psychedelic Pill, there'd be a 5 page thread on that album here and it would be on everyone's top of 2012 list. :P

Pill is fucking awesome, Greendale was really good too, for a concept album, saw that live it was fun
I got the shits real bad.

homeless_dad

I'll have to check out pill.  Chief was speaking of Greendale, I'm assuming, not Silver and Gold.  I'll give greendale another go.  The greendale show was ok, just didn't realize most of it was gonna be a semi-musical concept thing. 
Is Ian back yet??

JUDY