Author Topic: Melvins @ Headliners Music Hall Louisville, Kentucky Oct. 1  (Read 8678 times)

Joe Deutrom

Melvins @ Headliners Music Hall Louisville, Kentucky Oct. 1
« on: October 02, 2004, 07:04:38 PM »
Well, I am glad that I got to see my favorite heavy band twice on this tour. As always they put on a great show. For me, it was alot better this time, as opposed to when I saw them in Indianapolis. Headliners is a more roomier and better club so I didn't have to deal with any potential moronic moshing. For the most part the audience kept their cool until Buzz and the guys busted out with Night Goat. I quite possibly had the best spot to watch them. I was at the left corner of the stage right by the steps leading up to the stage. Next to steps was this big monitor speaker that I sat atop of above the crowd and was maybe 3 feet from Buzz; just watching him bludgeoning his guitar and feeling the bass from Dale's kick drum. Kevin, on the other hand, must of had some Kentucky rotgut or something; because he was stumbling and falling down quite a bit and sometimes would not even be playing. He also was deep throating his microphone at different occasions. It didn't look like he was just putting on a show, because Buzz kept looking over at him when he couldn't hear him playing. Out of all the bass players the Melvins have had through the years, this guy just strikes me the wrong way. It's not his bass playing; it's his personality at the shows that get on my nerves. Is this dude gay or something? Anyway, the show was great and one of the roadies who remembered me from the Indianapolis show gave me their setlist for the evening so I could post it for you guys.

Setlist: Melvins

1. Let It All Be (great song).
2. Tipping The Lion (awesome live).
3. Hold Your Hand (demented and crushing Beatles cover).
4. Queen (classic).
5. Bar X...(great version with Dale and Kevin mimicking the trumpet parts).
6.Toadie Acceleratio (a heavier version of this song).
7. The Fool, The Meddling Idiot (I just closed my eyes and became absorbed by the slow molasses throb of this awesome rendition).
8. Bloated Pope (need I say more)?
9. Pigs Of The Roman Empire (The live sound of Buzz's guitar on this shortened version is chilling).
10. Safety Third (Heavy and crushing).
11. Bloat (This was one of the songs where Kevin wasn't playing at different points, which on this song was quite obvious since it is such a bass intensive track).
12. Night Goat (another classic and crowd pleaser, very heavy).
13. Lovely Butterfly (very raw and blistering).
14. Black Stooges (great closer and an opportunity for Dale to flail).

Jello wasn't there. Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant was better the second time around; their drummer is a heavy hitter in his own right.

Dog Tired

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 08:12:03 PM »
How'd you get a seat on the monitor?

Joe Deutrom

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 06:06:05 AM »
Quote from: Dog Tired
How'd you get a seat on the monitor?

I didn't put a seat on the monitor, I said that I sat on top of a big PA or monitor speaker that was right next to a set of steps that led up to the stage.

Offline Beto Brasil

• Handler
  • beto@themelvins.net
    • View Profile
    • http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 09:02:12 AM »
great setlist man, you lucky" :D
Trading music since 1999 :

Update : http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm

rjr

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:20:08 AM »
Kevin must have been quite drunk - a friend watching from the right side of the stage (I was on the left, too) said he pissed himself on stage. He must like his bourbon.

Good show, but due to the above not as great as their last trip through. The Trio Convulsant was fantastic.

Offline FartLips

• Onion Ringoes
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »
looks like i need to be learning bass lines for melvins songs.  if this keeps up, buzz and dale will be looking for a new bass player soon.
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

klump

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 02:40:16 PM »
hmmm, this doesnt sound good, maybe hes got some problems...thats NOT good, hes my fevourite bassplayer!

Joe Deutrom

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 03:19:12 PM »
Quote from: klump
hmmm, this doesnt sound good, maybe hes got some problems...thats NOT good, hes my fevourite bassplayer!

I don't think they are going to get rid of him. He just chose to get stupid drunk I think. Yeah, he's got problems. He's weird and you just have to be around him to notice it too. You just get this strange feeling when you are around him. As for the guy who said Kevin urinated on himself, well if that is true then that pretty much adds up to him being either an alcoholic or a drug addict with a weak bladder. If he needs help I hope he gets it because I don't think Buzz or Dale would tolorate too much of this behaviour.

klump

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 03:23:57 PM »
yeah... its REALLY fucking sad if they give him the boot...

but IF they do that, theres only one bassplayer i could think of that could play with them and thats Kunka...but hes NOWHERE near as creative as Kevin :(

Offline FartLips

• Onion Ringoes
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 05:49:10 PM »
me.me.me. i've been making noise like them for years. even before i heard of the melvins.  i'm retarded when it comes to noise.  it's from all of that tripping i did in my formative years. and the voices, the voices help me. :shock:  :lol:  :wink:
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

thegrumpylil'hermit

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 10:35:32 PM »
Quote from: Lorax Bricklebrit
Quote from: klump

I don't think they are going to get rid of him. He just chose to get stupid drunk I think. Yeah, he's got problems. He's weird and you just have to be around him to notice it too. You just get this strange feeling when you are around him. As for the guy who said Kevin urinated on himself, well if that is true then that pretty much adds up to him being either an alcoholic or a drug addict with a weak bladder. If he needs help I hope he gets it because I don't think Buzz or Dale would tolorate too much of this behaviour.

You're the only other person ive seen on here besides myself who's not that fond of Kevin's place in the Melvins.  I always thought he had horrible stage presence and that stupid hula-hoop dance he does with his bass is just plain irritating.  Id much rather see Mark D. or Joe or any one of the previous bassists up there than Kevin.  Its just a total mismatch as far as im concerned.  All his goofy stage antics seem forced and totally rehearsed and unnatural.  Just take a look at the Bassist's morgue section, its not that unlikely they'll give him the boot and find a replacement like they did for all the others.  Its too bad Buzz and Mark D. stopped getting along.  It seems like they were the most productive when he was on board.  In all the interviews, Buzz implies that Mark was interested in taking the band down more of a commercial route, which didnt sit well with Buzz, and consequently led to him kicking Mark out of the band.  But even though the Atlantic-era material may be a little bit more accessible in some spots, its still some of their best stuff. And if you look at the transition from Stoner Witch to Stag to Honky, the Melvins were getting more and more experimental and less commercial-sounding, not the other way around.  Also, if im not mistaken, Mark was doing a good bit of writing when he was in the band, yet when i listen to those albums successively, i certainly dont hear the music approaching anything that could be considered radio-friendly.  Honky was the last album recorded with Mark D, and it isnt the slightest bit accessible to most(Melvins fans included), but IMO stands out as one of the most unique and creative albums they have put out to this day.  Its definitely one of my favorites.

klump

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 12:06:28 AM »
Honky = commercial???

ok, man good for you...

you would rather have a douchebag playing bass than someone who dances the hula on stage???

man, start listening to red hot chilli rapers, their bass players is just naked...better?

he sucks at playing, but at least he doesnt dance the hula???

Offline Green Honey

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
    • bookface
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 05:16:59 AM »
Alchemy - Matt Lukin
Boner - Lorax, Joe
Atlantic - Mark D
Ipecac - Kevin Ass

Does anyone else find it odd that they get a new bass player everytime they get a new record contract?

klump

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 05:56:05 AM »
you forgot leopard gecko! :P

Offline Green Honey

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
    • bookface
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 06:09:03 AM »
=P~