King Buzzo solo acoustic set!

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, January 04, 2014, 12:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrashoholic

Quote from: fortysixand2 on May 20, 2014, 09:27:52 PM
Wednesday 13 August  Adelaide | Enigma Bar  (18+)
Thursday 14 August  Geelong | Barwon Club  (18+)
Friday 15 August  Melbourne | Ding Dong Lounge  (18+)
Wednesday 20 August  Newcastle | The Small Ballroom  (18+)
Thursday 21 August  Sydney | Newtown Social Club  (18+)
Friday 22 August  Wollongong | Anita's Theatre  (18+)
Saturday 23 August  Canberra | Transit Bar  (18+)
Sunday 24 August  Brisbane | Black Bear Lodge  (18+)
Tuesday 25 August  Perth | Astor Lounge  (18+)

http://www.frontiertouring.com/kingbuzzo

Also, does it bug anyone else that the 'tour dates' link on the front page still goes to the 2013 tour page or is it just me?

Will be at the Geelong and Melbourne gigs. Stoked!
Q: Who else think the Melvins are awful?
A: People with any taste in music

runk the punk

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundposts/2014/06/17/buzz-osborne-of-the-melvins-unplugged-concert-preview/

QuoteWhile most musicians — most people — are dead asleep, Buzz Osborne, who plays Neumos Friday, is already wide awake.

"Most days, I leave before the sun [comes up] and go play 18 holes of golf with the working-class people at the municipal courses around Los Angeles," he says via telephone from his house in Hollywood. "They just think I'm some weirdo. It's funny."

Golf?

Can this be the same musician who taught a young Kurt Cobain his first few guitar chords and introduced Dave Grohl to his eventual Nirvana bandmates? Never mind practically inventing the sludge and stoner metal subgenres on 1991's seminal "Bullhead" and '93's "Houdini" — to name just two of 19 Melvins LPs.

Yes, it is. And on his new solo album, "This Machine Kills Artists," (an allusion to Woody Guthrie) he plays acoustic guitar.

Has King Buzzo gone soft?

Nope.

"I can't think of any punk who's put on an acoustic and hasn't just tried to sound like James Taylor," he says. "No thanks."

Made entirely on an original red, white and blue Buck Owens American guitar — one of eight in existence, according to Osborne — the 17-track set, however sparse, simmers with clenched-teeth aggression to satisfy headbangers everywhere.

The brooding, minor-key "Rough Democracy" and "Instrument of God," for instance, could easily translate to an electric and become Melvins songs.

But coming from an artist whose music few would call pretty, material like the raga-tinged "How I Became Offensive" also shows surprising poise, leaving room for subtleties in Osborne's playing sure to be lost at 300 watts.

Solo touring, says the 50-year-old rocker, offers respite from decades spent lugging back-breaking amplifiers around the world.

"It's just me and one other person — my sound guy and road manager. I drive the van, which is great because I love driving, hate flying and hate buses. To me, traveling by bus is like climbing into a closet and watching 'Das Boot.'"

Come fall, he'll hook back up with drummer Dale Crover for the next Melvins record, "Hold It In."

Does Crover, or any other band member, ever join him on the links?

"Not one person from the music world has ever come with — as if I could get a rock'n'roller up at four in the morning to play golf — but that's fine," he answered. "I have way too much going on to sit around waiting for tee time at two in the afternoon."

Buzz Osborne

8 p.m. Friday, June 20 at Neumos, 925 E. Pike St., Seattle; $15 advance (206-709-9467 or www.neumos.com)

bUTTHOLEmAN

Ooh, 'Hold it in' has been confirmed as the title.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Dan_Halen

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on June 20, 2014, 06:05:20 PM

I hope it's the 4 piece line up!
Los ticka toe rest

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dan_Halen

Los ticka toe rest

black stallion

Quote from: Dan_Halen on June 21, 2014, 01:11:11 PM
Quote from: black stallion on June 21, 2014, 01:08:37 PM
Quote from: Dan_Halen on June 21, 2014, 12:57:28 PM

it isn't  :buzz:

How do you know? What is the lineup then?

rumours about it being just Buzzo,Dale and Jeff Pinkus...check the thread "Hold It In" and read it from the beginning. i think a few pics of Dale and Buzz with the Honky guys working on something showed up  a while back

meezer

Quote from: black stallion on June 21, 2014, 01:13:06 PM

rumours about it being just Buzzo,Dale and Jeff Pinkus...check the thread "Hold It In" and read it from the beginning. i think a few pics of Dale and Buzz with the Honky guys working on something showed up  a while back
This was on the front page of Melvins.net, spring of 2013.

Jeff Pinkus of the Butthole Surfers & Honky spoke to the Austin Chronicle about his recent collaboration with the Melvins and their soon to be released EP entitled 'PINKUS':

In December, Melvins drummer Dale Crover performed with Honky, the local trio led by the Surfers' favored bassist Jeff Pinkus. Not long afterward, he met with Crover and Melvins singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne in L.A. for some writing and recording. The session, engineered by Big Business/Melvins wingman Toshi Kasai, yielded four songs, two written and sung by Pinkus. Titled "Pist Pistoferson" and "AM Radio Head," they reined the sludge vets into Pinkus' world of "big stupid rock songs." The other two tunes, penned by Osborne, utilize the cryptic tunings and oozing riffage that remain distinctly Melvins. "My songwriting is so much more structured than theirs," laughs Pinkus. "I write in a rock way whereas Buzz comes up with riffs so intricate that we'd have to remind ourselves what we did last practice. That's probably why they want me as a bass player, because I can remember his parts when he can't!" Pinkus and Osborne even did a little role reversal, switching off guitar and bass duties on one song. The EP, titled Pinkus, comes out on AmRep this spring. Many of the label's releases are in quantities of 700 and sell out quickly. "The Melvins put out so much stuff that this will be only a brief blurb in the timeline of their releases," reflects Pinkus. "But for me it's something that I've been real proud to be a part of."
MNoriginal did a great feature on Tom Hazelmeyer, the Dear Leader of Amphetamine Reptile Records..
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

Quote from: meezer on June 21, 2014, 01:40:16 PM
Quote from: black stallion on June 21, 2014, 01:13:06 PM

This was on the front page of Melvins.net, spring of 2013.

Jeff Pinkus of the Butthole Surfers & Honky spoke to the Austin Chronicle about his recent collaboration with the Melvins and their soon to be released EP entitled 'PINKUS':

In December, Melvins drummer Dale Crover performed with Honky, the local trio led by the Surfers' favored bassist Jeff Pinkus. Not long afterward, he met with Crover and Melvins singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne in L.A. for some writing and recording. The session, engineered by Big Business/Melvins wingman Toshi Kasai, yielded four songs, two written and sung by Pinkus. Titled "Pist Pistoferson" and "AM Radio Head," they reined the sludge vets into Pinkus' world of "big stupid rock songs." The other two tunes, penned by Osborne, utilize the cryptic tunings and oozing riffage that remain distinctly Melvins. "My songwriting is so much more structured than theirs," laughs Pinkus. "I write in a rock way whereas Buzz comes up with riffs so intricate that we'd have to remind ourselves what we did last practice. That's probably why they want me as a bass player, because I can remember his parts when he can't!" Pinkus and Osborne even did a little role reversal, switching off guitar and bass duties on one song. The EP, titled Pinkus, comes out on AmRep this spring. Many of the label's releases are in quantities of 700 and sell out quickly. "The Melvins put out so much stuff that this will be only a brief blurb in the timeline of their releases," reflects Pinkus. "But for me it's something that I've been real proud to be a part of."
MNoriginal did a great feature on Tom Hazelmeyer, the Dear Leader of Amphetamine Reptile Records..

i didn't remeber of that,so this is not going to be a real melvins album

meezer

With the tour rolling into the South this week, just wanted to bump this thread, and consolidate some pertinent information.

Fresno-Tasteslikedirt interviewhttp://themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19534.msg505745#msg505745

Philadelphia-Johnny g review
http://www.punknews.org/review/12738/buzz-osborne-mary-halvorson-live-in-philadelphia

Boston-interview by Tinnitus Photo
http://www.prefixmag.com/features/king-buzzo-the-melvins/king-buzzo-on-playing-solo/77960/

Syracuse-Review and interview from Tom Carpenter
http://www.tomaroundtheworld.com/Buzzo2014.html

Minneapolis-Lots of input from Grumpy's attendees
http://themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19568.msg507229#msg507229

Tucson-uh, meezer's review
http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19665.msg511098#msg511098
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

jules

A second Melbourne show has been added (August 16th) after the first sold out:

August 13, 2014 - Adelaide, SA - Enigma Bar
    August 14, 2014 - Geelong, VIC - Barwon Club
    August 15, 2014 - Melbourne, VIC - Ding Dong Lounge (sold out)
    August 16, 2014 - Melbourne, VIC - Ding Dong Lounge
    August 20, 2014 - Newcastle, NSW - The Small Ballroom
    August 21, 2014 - Sydney, NSW - Newtown Social Club
    August 22, 2014 - Wollongong, NSW - Anita's Theatre
    August 23, 2014 - Canberra, ACT - Transit Bar
    August 24, 2014 - Brisbane, QLD - Black Bear Lodge
    August 26, 2014 - Perth, WA - Astor Lounge

jules

Hot Pants

the place where i sleep is cold and abandoned
you can't even fathom a hole being dug so deep

jules