Author Topic: Stag Vinyl Bootleg  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Dumpster D

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
Re: Stag Vinyl Bootleg
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
I think thats a valid point.  :)

Offline Ducksopinion

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:04:49 AM »
Here's a thing...A good few bands bootleg their own shit if some old label holds onto rights, etc.

Makes sense, too - if it is out of vinyl pressing or deleted and they are only earning a few pennies per CD sold, then why not? The could make $10k off of 1000 copies and the pressing plant gets $5k for costs. They are pressed way out in Poland or wherever to put off the attention of labels rather than bands. Plus, its cheap to get shit pressed there.

I know there are a lot of bands who found an audience after their "prime" who will authorize a reissue or take a cut of a boot to take the market away from the OG's selling at high prices that they don't get a cut of.

Exactly. Better worded than my effort, too. Ha.

Offline Herr Honky

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
I've wondered for years if those bootlegs of Tool's Aenima and 10,000 Days are actually from the band, considering the relationship they've had with their label.

And since we're also talking about official vinyl releases that have poor sound quality...that's something I've noticed with a lot of this vinyl resurgence in recent years. A lot of them don't sound as good as they can be and the vinyl often has a bunch of static charge. Meanwhile, original vinyl pressings from late 60s through the 70s sound amazing, even if it's on flimsy thin vinyl. Methinks it has something to do with mastering and cutting, and that people nowadays just can't do it like they used to. Also, I think it makes a big difference if the original recording is on analog tape. If the vinyl pressing is from a digital source, well...kinda defeats the purpose of putting on vinyl.