King Buzzo Brighton 30 Aug 2014

Started by jules, August 30, 2014, 10:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jules

Saturday night in the middle of Brighton in August. There isn't enough vomit in the world to persuade me to describe the never-ending procession of shreiking women called Stacie on hen weekends or the herds of white-shirted mantwats, fucked by blue alcohol, already asleep in the middle of the road, so I won't.

The Haunt was probably two thirds full (c.200 people) by the time Buzz came on, but was quite quiet until then which was a pity as it meant a lot of people missed two great supports. Hannah Lou Clark (a partial anagram of Emma Ruth Rundle) started off with her beautiful voice and beautiful guitar (a 1971 Ibanez, maybe) but there weren't a lot of people to see it.

Second was King of Cats, a one man disaster area, brilliant and hilarious, like the retarded child spawned from a foursome with Tiny Tim, Daniel Johnston, Doc Dart and Happy Flowers, sighing, warbling and screaming his little head off, and apologising profusely for his inability to play an acoustic guitar: "I usually play electric; this is...........difficult". He was brilliant. He finished by saying that although he's called a king, there was "another king on after me; a better king."

The Better King came on to a proper crowd and a thoroughly decent one. Not one twat in the room. The starter of Boris Cooper was incredible. He could have left after those two and I'd have been happy. The audience voted for the Patton story which went down well, but we also got a few Mackie stories after a lass in the crowd quietly asked him to marry her. We got to listen to Hooch twice for the finale as he pulled the lead out of his amp the first time!

Highlights: 1. watching him walk on difficult parts of his feet to stop his shoes squeaking on the wooden floor during the quiet bits of Boris;   2. the crowd.

Merch: the two TMKA shirts.

Other Boardies met: 1

Vodka and sodas: Dave Curran

(the) flutter nuts

Quote from: jules on August 30, 2014, 10:00:00 AM

Saturday night in the middle of Brighton in August. There isn't enough vomit in the world to persuade me to describe the never-ending procession of shreiking women called Stacie on hen weekends or the herds of white-shirted mantwats, fucked by blue alcohol, already asleep in the middle of the road, so I won't.

The Haunt was probably two thirds full (c.200 people) by the time Buzz came on, but was quite quiet until then which was a pity as it meant a lot of people missed two great supports. Hannah Lou Clark (a partial anagram of Emma Ruth Rundle) started off with her beautiful voice and beautiful guitar (a 1971 Ibanez, maybe) but there weren't a lot of people to see it.

Second was King of Cats, a one man disaster area, brilliant and hilarious, like the retarded child spawned from a foursome with Tiny Tim, Daniel Johnston, Doc Dart and Happy Flowers, sighing, warbling and screaming his little head off, and apologising profusely for his inability to play an acoustic guitar: "I usually play electric; this is...........difficult". He was brilliant. He finished by saying that although he's called a king, there was "another king on after me; a better king."

The Better King came on to a proper crowd and a thoroughly decent one. Not one twat in the room. The starter of Boris Cooper was incredible. He could have left after those two and I'd have been happy. The audience voted for the Patton story which went down well, but we also got a few Mackie stories after a lass in the crowd quietly asked him to marry her. We got to listen to Hooch twice for the finale as he pulled the lead out of his amp the first time!

Highlights: 1. watching him walk on difficult parts of his feet to stop his shoes squeaking on the wooden floor during the quiet bits of Boris;   2. the crowd.

Merch: the two TMKA shirts.

Other Boardies met: 1

Vodka and sodas: Dave Curran

=D>
I got the shits real bad.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

jules

meezer

Quote from: jules on August 30, 2014, 07:11:03 PM
Quote from: meezer on August 30, 2014, 07:04:03 PM
Boris Cooper?!!  :shock:
Boris went straight into Ballad of Dwight Fry.
That's an exciting new term. Probably won't get to use it much, though.  :?
What was yer haul? Of merch? That's it?! Two shirts??!!  :shock:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

buddy holiday

thank you jules. can't wait for next week! ...and the week after...

GrimReaper

black stallion

GREAT. thank you!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Captain CoryCory

Idlehanz

I don't remember who told me, as I'd really like to credit them, but watching Buzz's feet while he plays Boris was one of the most amazing parts of seeing this live acoustic show.  The STOMPING during certain parts. If the stage was right, was just this reverberating hollow thud, that added to the thickness, heaviness and intimacy of the song.  You have to be aware of it to really appreciate it's nuance. I advise anyone that's going to see this show to get right up front and not only watch his hands, but pay attention to his feet.

I think it was Peebot actually, but if I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected as to who turned me on to it.

jules

Quote from: Idlehanz on August 31, 2014, 11:52:46 PM
I don't remember who told me, as I'd really like to credit them, but watching Buzz's feet while he plays Boris was one of the most amazing parts of seeing this live acoustic show.  The STOMPING during certain parts. If the stage was right, was just this reverberating hollow thud, that added to the thickness, heaviness and intimacy of the song.  You have to be aware of it to really appreciate it's nuance. I advise anyone that's going to see this show to get right up front and not only watch his hands, but pay attention to his feet.

I think it was Peebot actually, but if I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected as to who turned me on to it.

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19659.msg510782#msg510782

Idlehanz

Quote from: jules on September 01, 2014, 04:43:42 AM
Quote from: Idlehanz on August 31, 2014, 11:52:46 PM

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=19659.msg510782#msg510782

I'm glad others have noticed it, but this wasn't where I was first hipped to it.  Someone told me via text.

Metalhead Cow

Nice review! The show I saw was phenomenal.