Melvins Lividity + Aspergers=Luckiest Woman Alive

Started by ellenbee19, November 23, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellenbee19

I'm on the autism spectrum (high-functioning, so you wouldn't even know I'm not "normal" unless you REALLY get to know me, but who cares; level of function is irrelevant to the fucking deep enjoyment of fucking good music).

The point here is the sensory smorgasbord of experience that Lividity offers to those who have sensory perceptions like mine. I don't just get to LISTEN to it; I can also taste it and feel its textures and get inside it. Ride it like a night horse infected with moonshine and starlight and opium dreams. And "Lividity" is THE absolute most potent sensory piece of music I have ever encountered. I've got it on repeat and have lost count of how many times I've listened to it now. There are entire realms of sensation in the song; listening to it is akin to taking an acid trip at Six Flags. Hell, a lot of Melvins songs are like that for me, but Lividity is the most intense.

I'd like to hear from other fans on the Spectrum, to find out which songs that stim you the best.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Bro Hammer

I have two daughters and my oldest is autistic. Not rocking in the corner oblivious to the world autistic but she's autistic enough. I don't know. Anyway I listen to music in the car all the time and a lot of the time it's the Melvins. I noticed about a week ago she was humming The Bunk Up...PERFECTLY. I was just kinda speechless. Her favorite kind of music tends to be hip hop because I think she likes the feel of the beats, but then again I have no idea because she doesn't say. It's interesting to me to think about all the senses that music effects on my daughter. One thing is for sure is that she LOVES music and has in the past done some other pretty cool music related things. I have a lot of instruments laying around for the kids to play with and sometimes she'll fuck around with them all. To my surprise, the drums seem to be her favorite and I can only imagine what kind of sensory shit is firing off when she's playing the drums.

meezer

Cool. Keep your eyes peeled for perfect pitch, and other extra abilities in that department. Hope there's still a shred of musical education left when our kids get to school.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Bro Hammer

Quote from: meezer on November 23, 2014, 01:53:12 PM
Cool. Keep your eyes peeled for perfect pitch, and other extra abilities in that department. Hope there's still a shred of musical education left when our kids get to school.

I've already noticed the perfect pitch. It was pretty jaw dropping. Her school actually does have a good music program and it's a public school, so I'm pretty happy. Whenever she grabs an instrument it takes a lot for me to hold back and let her explore it on her own. I wanna start teaching her stuff but I also don't want to be pushy about it so for now I just let her do her own thing. Her teacher told me last year the the first thing she went for in the music room was the drums! I could go on and on about her. She's amazing. She is constantly making me proud.

Quote from: ellenbee19 on November 23, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

I'd like to hear from other fans on the Spectrum, to find out which songs that stim you the best.

Me too!

anaconda

JUDY

My baby brother (6"4, 250lbs, will smash you) is what brohammer might call "rocking in the corner autistic."
His favorite is Pinocchio on VHS so he can watch it either on top volume or in fast forward.
He also likes Colossus of Destiny. 

Lividity is a good one to smooth the mind, for sure.

JUDY

Quote from: Bro Hammer on November 23, 2014, 01:48:45 PM
I have two daughters and my oldest is autistic. Not rocking in the corner oblivious to the world autistic but she's autistic enough. I don't know. Anyway I listen to music in the car all the time and a lot of the time it's the Melvins. I noticed about a week ago she was humming The Bunk Up...PERFECTLY. I was just kinda speechless. Her favorite kind of music tends to be hip hop because I think she likes the feel of the beats, but then again I have no idea because she doesn't say. It's interesting to me to think about all the senses that music effects on my daughter. One thing is for sure is that she LOVES music and has in the past done some other pretty cool music related things. I have a lot of instruments laying around for the kids to play with and sometimes she'll fuck around with them all. To my surprise, the drums seem to be her favorite and I can only imagine what kind of sensory shit is firing off when she's playing the drums.

I love that you bought her drums. That's so fricken cool.
I tried to get my brother into a couple of different instruments, he just wasn't into it.

Bro Hammer

Quote from: JUDY on November 24, 2014, 12:50:26 AM
Quote from: Bro Hammer on November 23, 2014, 01:48:45 PM

I love that you bought her drums. That's so fricken cool.
I tried to get my brother into a couple of different instruments, he just wasn't into it.

I wish I could say I bought the drums for her but they're mine. Although both kids know that they can play with any of the instruments I have except my one nice guitar. They have to be supervised when they play that one.
I think it's interesting that he would like COD because there is so much going on in that album. I would think it would be sensory overload! One thing is for sure though is that my daughter never ceases to amaze me and I'm sure that's the case with your brother. I always like the saying "If you've met one autistic person then you've met one autistic person".

meezer

Anyone seen the Roky Erickson documentary?
He had to have a wall of tv's and radio playing with
(unbearable) static and flashing lights to go to sleep at night.
It took up an entire wall of his apartment. I would imagine it's something like that.
I'm not jealous of that. Dude can write a brilliant album in real time.
Just press record and cut the record. I wouldn't trade places with him, though.

Bro Hammer

Quote from: meezer on November 24, 2014, 08:16:24 AM
Anyone seen the Roky Erickson documentary?
He had to have a wall of tv's and radio playing with
(unbearable) static and flashing lights to go to sleep at night.
It took up an entire wall of his apartment. I would imagine it's something like that.
I'm not jealous of that. Dude can write a brilliant album in real time.
Just press record and cut the record. I wouldn't trade places with him, though.

Ugh! I wanted to KILL his brother! I know his intentions were good but still. Great flick though.

meezer

Quote from: Bro Hammer on November 24, 2014, 08:19:51 AM

Ugh! I wanted to KILL his brother! I know his intentions were good but still. Great flick though.
Interesting. I wanted to kill his mother. In a very loving way, of course.
To quote our dear, departed blandshark, "please illucidate".  :D

JUDY

Quote from: Bro Hammer on November 24, 2014, 08:08:12 AM
I always like the saying "If you've met one autistic person then you've met one autistic person".

Very true. Just to be clear here, it is OK for a person to say he or she is on the spectrum, but it's not OK for someone else to say, "a person is autistic." That goes for any disability or special need.

Instead, it is more proper to say, "my daughter is a person with autism" rather than, "my daughter is autistic." No offense to you as a dad, just think about it for a second.

As far as 'sensory overload', I think he's more into the vibrations. Music (unlike movies) has to be very soft in sound. It's more about the feeling of the treble and bass (at low vibrancy/frequency) than the actual tunes that can be heard.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: ellenbee19 on November 23, 2014, 01:29:53 PM
I'm on the autism spectrum (high-functioning, so you wouldn't even know I'm not "normal" unless you REALLY get to know me, but who cares; level of function is irrelevant to the fucking deep enjoyment of fucking good music).

The point here is the sensory smorgasbord of experience that Lividity offers to those who have sensory perceptions like mine. I don't just get to LISTEN to it; I can also taste it and feel its textures and get inside it. Ride it like a night horse infected with moonshine and starlight and opium dreams. And "Lividity" is THE absolute most potent sensory piece of music I have ever encountered. I've got it on repeat and have lost count of how many times I've listened to it now. There are entire realms of sensation in the song; listening to it is akin to taking an acid trip at Six Flags. Hell, a lot of Melvins songs are like that for me, but Lividity is the most intense.

You experience Synesthesia within your Autistic experience ?

JUDY

ellenbee, be sure to come back and tell us more about your melvins listening experiences! It would be incredibly awesome to be able to experience the higher end of the spectrum that allows a person to describe what he or she might be feeling during stimulating occurrences. In this instance, listening to melvins. It's a totally unexplainable 'high' for me at times, too, but I feel envious of what it is you might be describing.