Hold It In

Started by meezer, February 21, 2015, 08:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

This is a very interesting album, to say the least.
Their first with Jeff Pinkus, of the Legendary Butthole Surfers.
And he even brought along his Butthole buddy, Paul Leary.
Leary brings the signature BHS production style, mixed with the Melvins hard crunch.
The project works well for me, but now that I've been listening to it for 4 months,
I have some observations;

The bass is extremely low (frequency-wise). I usually like this, but it doesn't work quite as well on this one.
I'm getting used to it, but it's a little disorienting, how the Paul Leary "Wall Of Sound" keeps chucking delay at you. I'm not sure that I like the feel of how all of this goes together.
It's like a grumbling tummy. Every time you listen. Not an attribute that keeps me coming back for more.

The treble is shelved pretty low. Dan Halen pointed this out. You combine this with the low bass, this album lives lower on your eq than most everything, other than classic gangsta rap.
You don't get the metallic sheen of the Atlantic years, or even the Kevin or Big Biz eras.
The guitar continues to sound like Freak Puke and Tres Cabrones, which is fine by me.
Many decry the lack of Gibson Les Paul tone and more conventional Marshall stack amplification.
Get used to it, King Buzzo has officially moved out of AC/DC and KISS territory, at least when it comes to his guitar rig. The riffs he's playing are more important to me, and on this album, they're excellent.

The mix of songs, alternating between late model Melvins, Pinkus/ Honky/ Melvins hybrid and Paul Leary LSD -inspired pop flows quite well. It's a Beatles-White Album type of affair. Different songwriters coming together to showcase their abilities, yet exhibiting a cohesive structure, where they all get to add their own flavor to each others songs.

I have my cassette I made of this CD, tracks in this order;
1-Bride Of Crankenstein-Pinkus on vocals, channeling King Buzzo rage.
7-Sesame Street Meat-a very solid Melvins tune, could have been on a dozen different Melvins
   projects.
3-Brass Cupcake-A more collaborative effort, exhibiting equal parts Melvins/ BHS song structures
   and vocals.
5-Onions Make The Milk Taste Bad-a continuation of Big Biz style Melvins.
6-Eyes On You-Leary pop song, with crazy, subversive lyrics. A stellar combination.
9-The Bunk Up-Perhaps a continuation of Dogs And Cattle Prods, from Tres Cabrones? Starts out
   with Melvins riffs from hell, continues devolving into weird interludes.
12-House Of Gasoline-the first 2 1/2 minutes are a great Melvins track. The next 7 minutes
   degrade into a drum-off between Dale and Pinkus?! Even without Coady on this project, Dale
   loves some call and response type cadences.
2-You Can Make Me Wait-pure Paul Leary pop genius. This one reminds me of songs that were
   popular on the radio in the late 70's, but in a good way.
8-Nine Yards-Pinkus being Pinkus. Sounds like Honky, but with Buzz instead of Bobby.
10-I Get Along (Hollow Moon)-Leary. What more can I say? I miss me some Buttholes!  :(
11-Piss Pistopherson-  :lol: see Nine Yards^
4-Barcelonian Horseshoe Pit-crazy ass instrumental. Did I mention Leary is a freakin' genius?
12b-here's where I put the final 3/4 of this track. It's brilliant, but it doesn't hold my attention
   very well.

So there you have it. Out of post-Big Biz, here's my decisive ranking (subject to change  :P )
1- Freak Puke
2-Tres Cabrones, This Machine Kills Artists, Hold It In (3-way tie)

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

anaconda

black stallion

i think the bass tone is good
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

buddy holiday

i agree about freek puuk.

Bro Hammer

That's a great review. Nice insights. I'd say for me the excitement of the newness has worn off. I do think it's a truly stellar effort but I listened to Freak Puke not that long ago and I hadn't listened to it for a while. Once the record was over it had me wanting more Freak Puke. I wasn't ready for it to be over where as by the time House Of Gasoline is over I get an overall sense of satisfaction and I'm fine that it's over. I think that feeling of wanting more gives Freak Puke that extra push to still be tops. With that said I can't wait for what's next!   

meezer

Quote from: Bro Hammer on March 16, 2015, 01:07:13 AM
That's a great review. Nice insights. I'd say for me the excitement of the newness has worn off. I do think it's a truly stellar effort but I listened to Freak Puke not that long ago and I hadn't listened to it for a while. Once the record was over it had me wanting more Freak Puke. I wasn't ready for it to be over where as by the time House Of Gasoline is over I get an overall sense of satisfaction and I'm fine that it's over. I think that feeling of wanting more gives Freak Puke that extra push to still be tops. With that said I can't wait for what's next!
The best part is there are still approximately 37 more Melvins Lite songs in the bag.  :excited:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Bro Hammer

Quote from: meezer on March 16, 2015, 03:48:20 AM
Quote from: Bro Hammer on March 16, 2015, 01:07:13 AM
The best part is there are still approximately 37 more Melvins Lite songs in the bag.  :excited:

Ohhh reeeaaallly?!? That makes me happy.

oldies radio

All analog. Reel to reel. Fab Four. Little Deuce Coupe. Under My Thumb. Who's better than the Funk Brothers? No one!

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

(the) Razor

"Get used to it"

OK.  :(

I just want to know, Ii it just me or did they change Sesame Street Meat live? On the album they switch straight into that massive riff at the end but live they play the intro riff twice beforehand.

Sounds a bit disjointed live compared to the album version, wonder what the reason for that would be. First world problems...
Don't click this

black stallion

explain better, which is the part they cut in your opinion? to me they sound pretty much the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec6tg21H3jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6rMyGs8t8E

(the) Razor

The studio video 2:39
The live one 2:50.

You can hear the live one has an extra bar, where the studio version cuts straight into the riff.

Don't click this

black stallion

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 29, 2016, 10:31:08 AM
Currently listening to this album again. It's not all that good in a way i think. Bride, Onions, Bunk Up and Sesame Street are pretty much the only cool songs. Although those four ARE really good songs! Especially 'The Bunk Up'.

it's a good album. problem is: production

meezer

I'm glad we have it as a one off deal. I enjoy it more than POTRE, in that regard.