Author Topic: Kevin Rutmanis and The Melvins...  (Read 21321 times)

Offline amazonAMAZON

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Rutmanis and The Melvins...
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2021, 01:43:24 AM »
Yep. I could see more Blue Whale or a guest spot on a song here or there, but not much else. Steven, beyond his talents, seems to be a super reliable and agreeable character.

Musically it may have taken longer for Steven to gel with the Melvins, but as a working relationship I think it's probably the best it's been, at least since Jared/Coady. Only way I see Steven not being the touring bass is if he gets pulled away by other commitments, either a way more lucrative gig or personal/family/health shit.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline Oscar

• chicken to ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2021, 07:11:27 AM »
Yep. I could see more Blue Whale or a guest spot on a song here or there, but not much else. Steven, beyond his talents, seems to be a super reliable and agreeable character.

Musically it may have taken longer for Steven to gel with the Melvins, but as a working relationship I think it's probably the best it's been, at least since Jared/Coady. Only way I see Steven not being the touring bass is if he gets pulled away by other commitments, either a way more lucrative gig or personal/family/health shit.

True indeed. I don't see the point of a full-length with Kevin in the fold from a creative perspective either. Those records with him are in the pantheon, but it wouldn't make sense to go back. That said, I would like to see them switch things up a little bit in live settings especially. Steven is a reliable worker indeed, but it's been a long time since they did anything out of the ordinary. Last decade saw a lot of different line ups and show formats (opening for themselves, anniversary shows, residencies, etc.), the last couple years have amassed a ton of material that could be really interesting if spread out across different iterations. More than half of that stuff has never been played live.

Offline ))))((((

• godfather of grunge
  • Genesis 1:2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2021, 08:25:14 AM »
I don't see the point of a full-length with Kevin in the fold from a creative perspective either. Those records with him are in the pantheon, but it wouldn't make sense to go back.
I can see why you would say that but i disagree. For instance, the band still work with Dillard as a side project. They don't tour but they enjoy working with him and making some new songs. I think the same would happen with Kevin. Someone they simply enjoy creating with who offers something very different from Steven or Pinkus. I think that would appeal to Buzz greatly.