Basses Loaded

Started by Feast On Me, June 10, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 20, 2016, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: meezer on March 20, 2016, 12:02:10 PM
No guitar on Tres Cabrones? Am I hearing you correctly?
Well, it wasn't me who said it, Buzz or Dale declared that himself in some interview somewhere. It does sound like guitar is present on the album but who knows maybe that electronic stuff really can simulate that sound. Unless they were joking!
You know, we have a conspiracy thread, started by yourself, for this kind of whackjob shit.  =;

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 20, 2016, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: some guy on March 20, 2016, 12:44:15 PM

i swear i read somewhere on this board that novoselic plays bass and accordion on the song (and isn't that him on "the bunk up" as well?). so if buzz actually claimed they did a weird al tune, that's gotta be a joke in reference to al being an accordion player too.
Ah probably and i guess that explains it. Yes Krist does play the accordian on The Bunk Up. Great tune that one.

Quote from: some guy on March 20, 2016, 12:44:15 PM
there's gotta be guitar on those tracks, he's even credited with playing guitar in the liner notes.
Just because he's credited in the liner notes with "guitar" means precious little. I can imagine Ipecac just list things rather straight forward in liner notes. Plus i could easily see the band liking the subversive, playful aspect of listing guitar yet none actually being present on the recordings.
qfi
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Dumpster D

KARP used a stylophone on pie I think.

I miss mine.  :(

FartLips

Pretty awesome compilation if you ask me!

#-o :later:
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 20, 2016, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: Idlehanz on March 20, 2016, 04:21:46 PM
I believe you're thinking of the stylophone on Dr Mule. People thought it was a weird pedal or something.
Honestly i know none of you guys believe me but it was 100% mentioned as such in the interview. No guitars on the ALBUM. Just made to sound like it. I remember that because in reading it i thought "WTF!!". Now, the interviewer might have got the wrong impression from Buzz and wrote it incorrectly or simply made that up entirely or Buzz was joking but that WAS how it was written regardless. Admittedly it seems kinda odd to manipulate gear to make it sound like guitar when you could just use a guitar though.
Page turned and I missed this exchange with idle. Just pulling your leg.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

ZILLA

I remember reading that there was no actual guitar on Tres Cabrones just a modular synth. Could be true, somebody ask him.
########################################################################################################

meezer

Quote from: ZILLA on March 21, 2016, 04:12:29 AM
I remember reading that there was no actual guitar on Tres Cabrones just a modular synth. Could be true, somebody ask him.
I'll give it a spin, just to see what's doin, but no. You can't fake guitar strings with keyboards. The bends. The slides. The picking. The randomness of each pluck of each string on every strum.

meezer

Is it possible? Maybe.
Do I see the Melvins taking the time in the studio to pull it off? No. We're talking maybe 20x longer in production just tweaking the signals to sound like guitar.

There is possibly another explanation. Just playing a guitar through a modular unit and manipulating what comes out the other end. I would buy that.

spliff(TONE)

There's no question that guitars are all over Tres Cabrones. Come on now. On a somewhat related tip, I'm bummed that they don't seem to play any of those tracks live.

meezer

Quote from: spliff(TONE) on March 21, 2016, 11:48:40 AM
I'm bummed that they don't seem to play any of those tracks live.
THIS!!!  :?

(PAUL)

I'm pretty sure Snivlem is fucking with you on that one. And that album is full of goodness that they should play live at some point.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Bigval

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 25, 2016, 01:33:28 PM
Does it bug anyone else that some of the titles are slightly different on the album to what they were on the EP's? You know 'Beer Hippy' becomes 'Beer Hippie', 'Captain Comedown' to 'Captain Come Down', 'Take Me Out' is now 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game'. I wonder if it is an intentional thing designed to differentiate between the releases or just miscommunication - someone telling Ipecac the titles over the phone or something! Oddly the same thing happened with 'Dr Mule' which later appeared on 'Tres...' as 'Doctor Mule'. I know it's just a little, rather inconsequential thing but stuff like that irritates me greatly. I'd love to know what the band themselves see as the definitive form.
I know for a fact that they want to hear Take Me Out To The Ball Game played at a Dodgers game, like The Water Glass has been.

Mints

Fuck, man, you really do need to get laid.

#2 Pencil

I heard their periods attract bears

John Schuller

Quote from: Mints on March 25, 2016, 07:19:41 PM
Fuck, man, you really do need to get laid.

No shit. I do not think I have ever seen someone get so anal about such stupid shit. hahahaha!!!