Basses Loaded

Started by Feast On Me, June 10, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Quote from: aeustin on June 06, 2016, 10:54:40 AM
I still have a complaint about this and the last few releases (bar TMaAB) regarding the drum mix. They sound really quiet and hollow.

:cry:

check the Melvins&Kunka album if you want to feel better

Quote from: aeustin on June 06, 2016, 02:26:45 PM
The McDonald tracks remind me a lot of the Deutrom years.

so true
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Rusty Shackleford

Quote from: aeustin on June 06, 2016, 10:54:40 AM
I still have a complaint about this and the last few releases (bar TMaAB) regarding the drum mix. They sound really quiet and hollow.

I think Toshi's work kicks ass, and none of this is my business, but I wish Buzz and Dale would make some records across town with Joe Barresi at his studio. 

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 04, 2016, 08:05:20 AM
The liner notes give a break down on each song with the different bassists but oddly omit both Planet Destructo and Maybe I Am Amused.

That's weird! I got my CD last week and it has the line up for both songs in the liner. Dunn and Novoselic respectively.
I'm really diggin' this a lot more than I thought I would. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't. Probably because I'm kinda over the silly songs but when I listen to this album I love it all.
So far my stand out favorites are Choco Plumbing which is funny because I like Jared the least but goddamn you can't fuck with those harmonies! Plus it's just a fucking crazy song. Lot's going on, on that one. Then Planet Destructo is my favorite at the moment. Hearing the Melvins do actual Jazz is just, I don't know, fuck. Hearing Dale doing that traditional brush jazz drumming and Trevor not just walking the upright but straight running the fucker, then Buzz doing just that simple little Teen Spirit lick. It's gold. If they made a whole album like this I would smile.
In the end though there isn't anything on here that I would skip or say is filler, because this album is KILLER!

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on June 06, 2016, 02:33:20 PM
I think Toshi's work kicks ass, and none of this is my business, but I wish Buzz and Dale would make some records across town with Joe Barresi at his studio. 

I couldn't agree more. Mike and The Melvins has for me just been a reminder of the very noticeable shift in their sound and I personally like the fat, thick sound Barresi gets.

))))((((

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on June 06, 2016, 02:34:27 PM
The liner notes give a break down on each song with the different bassists but oddly omit both Planet Destructo and Maybe I Am Amused.
That's weird! I got my CD last week and it has the line up for both songs in the liner. Dunn and Novoselic respectively.
Hmm that is strange. I wonder if the European versions are all different or the printing on my copy was wrong. I looked a few times because i thought it was odd myself that they didn't mention those songs.

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 06, 2016, 02:53:59 PM
Hmm that is strange. I wonder if the European versions are all different or the printing on my copy was wrong. I looked a few times because i thought it was odd myself that they didn't mention those songs.

Yeah that's really strange for sure. They're the last two listed as well....I think we got a mystery on our hands!

aeustin

I couldn't agree more. Mike and The Melvins has for me just been a reminder of the very noticeable shift in their sound and I personally like the fat, thick sound Barresi gets.

But to me it hasn't really been noticeable since about Freak Puke.  HAT-Bulls and the Bees still sound great. That being said I really do like the production on the guitar and vocals lately.
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: aeustin on June 06, 2016, 08:25:44 PM

But to me it hasn't really been noticeable since about Freak Puke.  HAT-Bulls and the Bees still sound great. That being said I really do like the production on the guitar and vocals lately.

In all fairness, you're right. The production quality has been pretty good since Freak Puke for sure. I thought Hold It In was a little too quite but once you find the sweet spot with the volume it sounds great. Basses Loaded sounds really good too. When I think about it you're absolutely right.
There's this sound though that I can't put into words because I just can't that is on all the album Barresi has touched that just feels like a big heavy, fuzz warm beefy blanket. I mean Stag, Honky but the real kicker is he played the role of engineer on Stoner Witch and that is in my humble opinion their best sounding record. Sound wise, not music wise or song writing or anything like that, in fact Stoner Witch probably isn't even in my top ten but it sounds amazing. It's like the first QOTSA album. That had engineers summing their pants and rightfully so! In the end I think they all sound great and with a catalog like they have it can be easy to like a certain producer or engineer rather over a different one.
If I had a gun to my head and was forced to try to explain that sound I would just say "2 inch tape" is maybe what made the difference, but that's just a flailing guess. But it's the Melvins so anything they do is going to eventually sound good to my ears no matter what and that's what makes the Earth go around....Right?

Pound4abrown

I dunno, I think that since I had only heard the previously released songs when they streamed online, this album doesn't feel disjointed to me.
it does make me long for the big business and Melvins (Lite) line ups.
like I said earlier my favorite release since Freak Puke.

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 06, 2016, 10:54:52 PM
I dunno, I think that since I had only heard the previously released songs when they streamed online, this album doesn't feel disjointed to me.
it does make me long for the big business and Melvins (Lite) line ups.
like I said earlier my favorite release since Freak Puke.

This is my favorite since Hold It In! I'm in love with it. I'm enhanced headphoning it right now and Planet D just played and I felt the happiest I've felt in kinda real long time when they bust into the bebop. It brings me feel good.
I've heard War Pussy once awhile ago and nothing of the new stuff so this is pretty much all brand new music to me and it's making me feel happy and better. With the headphones you can really hear McDonalds back up vocals and it's another magic harmony machine, like Jared and Buzz. McDonald has such a great voice and the War Pussy stuff it's just perfect with Buzz and especially Dale.
Good stuff as usual!

GrimReaper

Quote from: Oscar on June 07, 2016, 04:18:17 AM
Pitchfork had something to say

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21959-basses-loaded/

It's Saby. He's listened to everything the Melvins have ever recorded over the last 33 years so he's qualified to make a blanket statement like "For the first time ever......"

Hot Pants

finger the dingleberries Saby
the place where i sleep is cold and abandoned
you can't even fathom a hole being dug so deep

EGO the Living Planet

Does anyone else find it weird that potty spy says "War Pussy" is "explicit" but not "Shaving Cream"?