Basses Loaded

Started by Feast On Me, June 10, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(the) Razor

Not directed at anyone in particular (seriously, enjoy reading every poster here on this forum) but Melvin's wouldn't exist if they didn't evolve. Besides, who wants to hear 15 albums exactly the same? Most bands just recycle or run out of ideas the first couple albums. Melvin's haven't declined, they've evolved into whatever they felt like and that's good.

As Rusty said, these guys are in a different place in their 50s than they were 20 years ago. I think it would be worse seeing older musicians try to make Ozma 2016 and capturing the raw Aberdeen days or trying to make another Maggot record...it would be forced and that's when musicians end up in dangerous territory, playing forced music.

Melvin's are handling it really well, yes I too miss some of the older aspects of Melvin's (like their odd time signatures instead of now straight up rock or whatever), but it's still there if I ever want to listen to Boris again or roadbull. Hold it in and three men are pretty good at that too. fact is they are an eighties band that to this day is always relevant, always interesting and can always challenge listeners. The last band standing and never need a lame comeback album or reunion because they are always there making music for you. It's okay not to like their new albums but it's not possible to question why they are different now, it's essential for them to be able to keep going forward.

Oh...on the joke songs. I just only wish they make their humour a bit more subtle ....I could do without shaving cream, 99 bottles or tie my pecker to a tree....but then again it's the same band that put out prick 22 years ago. :)

Don't click this

Oscar

I for one wasn't saying that I want the old days back at all. They did what they did back then so there's no need to do it again. I just feel some of the current stuff to be a little uninspired.

aeustin

I still love them but I guess I can boil the problem down to this:

I can actually accurately guess what a new album will sound like. That isn't a good thing.
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

meezer

I think we can all agree they need to just remake Bullhead again and again til retirement.  :bs:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

John Schuller

Really into this album. It feels like a greatest hits album across all of those different lineups we are so lucky to have, except with tracks I am not already familiar with. Every track is great and the Novoselic one might be my favorite. Accordian? Yeah! And the Trevor tine is so badass. I love that they have finally gone "out there" with that lineup - I mean, why shouldn't they be playing some avant garde improv jazz? More of that please!!!!!

Pound4abrown

Quote from: sadcorps on June 11, 2016, 10:49:15 AM
And the Trevor tine is so badass. I love that they have finally gone "out there" with that lineup - I mean, why shouldn't they be playing some avant garde improv jazz? More of that please!!!!!

1,000 X's this.

fortysixand2

Is it just my OCD or does it bother anyone else that there are slight spelling differences in the track names from various sources?  :?
Melvins bandcamp                             iTunes                                                CD booklet
"Beer Hippie"                                   "Beer Hippie"                                        "Beer Hippy"
"Captain Come Down"                       "Captain Come Down"                           "Captain Comedown"
"Hideous Woman"                             "Hideous Woman"                                 "Hideous Women"
"Planet Distructo"                             "Planet Destructo"                                 ?
"Phyllis Dillard"                                "Phyllis Dillard"                                      "Phylis Dillard"
"Take Me Out To The Ballgame"         "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"            "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"

meezer

Quote from: fortysixand2 on June 12, 2016, 12:22:39 PM
Is it just my OCD or does it bother anyone else that there are slight spelling differences in the track names from various sources?  :?
Melvins bandcamp                             iTunes                                                CD booklet
"Beer Hippie"                                   "Beer Hippie"                                        "Beer Hippy"
"Captain Come Down"                       "Captain Come Down"                           "Captain Comedown"
"Hideous Woman"                             "Hideous Woman"                                 "Hideous Women"
"Planet Distructo"                             "Planet Destructo"                                 ?
"Phyllis Dillard"                                "Phyllis Dillard"                                      "Phylis Dillard"
"Take Me Out To The Ballgame"         "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"            "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"
r u ian?  :D
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

Is it just my OCD or does it bother anyone else that there are slight spelling differences in the track names from various sources?
Yes, greatly so and i mentioned this fairly recently. Well, not from the sources you mention but the difference between the album tracklist and those same songs on the prior EP's. Inconsistent stuff likes this annoys me a lot. Same goes for the songs 'Amazon' and 'AMAZON'. 

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 12, 2016, 01:07:22 PM
Is it just my OCD or does it bother anyone else that there are slight spelling differences in the track names from various sources?
Yes, greatly so and i mentioned this fairly recently. Well, not from the sources you mention but the difference between the album tracklist and those same songs on the prior EP's. Inconsistent stuff likes this annoys me a lot. Same goes for the songs 'Amazon' and 'AMAZON'.
Two different songs

))))((((

I know. Although going by track numbers on the album it's technically 4 different songs!! It just always bugs me that not only were all the songs split in two on The Maggot but that Amazon and AMAZON weren't titled differently to avoid confusion.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 12, 2016, 01:38:20 PM
I know. Although going by track numbers on the album it's technically 4 different songs!! It just always bugs me that not only were all the songs split in two on The Maggot but that Amazon and AMAZON weren't titled differently to avoid confusion.

Avoiding confusion is a pointless and fruitless endeavour in these times of confusion ... embrace the chaos like a lover, full on French Kiss with the confusion in life ... give it the tongue whist pinching it's juicy ass ...

the breaking of Maggot tunes into couples strikes as extremely 1990's ... like hidden tunes and all that crap ... man, the 1990s, just like the 80s, but even stupider
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

))))((((

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on June 12, 2016, 02:57:05 PM
Avoiding confusion is a pointless and fruitless endeavour in these times of confusion ... embrace the chaos like a lover, full on French Kiss with the confusion in life ... give it the tongue whist pinching it's juicy ass ...
For someone who wishes to rejoice in confusion, your writing doesn't half make sense. Don't you know that language is, at least, an attempt at clarity? You hypocritical charlatan you! Ha.

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: meezer on June 11, 2016, 10:23:37 AM
I think we can all agree they need to just remake Bullhead again and again til retirement.  :bs:

I don't think anyone here is even remotely close to saying this so it's unnecessary and childish.

Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 11, 2016, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on June 11, 2016, 10:49:15 AM
And the Trevor tine is so badass. I love that they have finally gone "out there" with that lineup - I mean, why shouldn't they be playing some avant garde improv jazz? More of that please!!!!!

1,000 X's this.

Fuck 1,000,000,000 X's this!!!

As fas as what is being discussed on this particular page I could find something I agree with in every comment made thus far and I could argue every comment thus far. No opinion is the wrong opinion and people have a right to their own. Just because someone says they find their new stuff lackluster doesn't mean they suddenly hate the band. It's just not their tastes anymore. Big Val isn't saying fuck the Melvins, I hate 'em and I highly doubt Big Val (sorry I'm just using you as a reference point, not trying to single you out at all) while suddenly not enjoy them at all. Yeah, I could agree and disagree with one thing or the other. It's personal taste.
As for the silly stuff Da Razor put it the best:
Quote from: (the) Razor on June 11, 2016, 08:53:53 AM

Oh...on the joke songs. I just only wish they make their humour a bit more subtle ....I could do without shaving cream, 99 bottles or tie my pecker to a tree....but then again it's the same band that put out prick 22 years ago. :)

Let's remember that when Prick came out at least for me, when I bought it the joke wasn't subtle at all. Nor is the "Shit Sandwich" 7". To me these public domain songs they've been doing lately isn't really much of a surprise and while some I can do without (most actually) it's in my opinion a very logical thing for them to do and I just don't really see how it's any different than the "jokes" they've done in the past.
I would also LOVE to hear them record with someone other than Toshi but at the sometime I enjoy everything he's recorded. I thought Holed It In was too quite so I turned it up and guess what? It sounds great!
I'll always stand behind what they do wether I like it or not. Why? Re-read Rusty's post. That's why.

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 12, 2016, 03:17:02 PM
Quote from: Mount Ambulance on June 12, 2016, 02:57:05 PM
For someone who wishes to rejoice in confusion, your writing doesn't half make sense. Don't you know that language is, at least, an attempt at clarity? You hypocritical charlatan you! Ha.

I can sum up what he's saying with four words: "Seek Ye The Gnarl."