Author Topic: Sawed Off - who were the Ronsons?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
Sawed Off - who were the Ronsons?
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »
My bad if this has been covered before (I couldn't find it in the search function):

So, the Sawed Off 7-inch has two covers by "The Ronsons." I always figured that there never was a band called "The Ronsons," Buzz, Dale, and Pat wrote the songs, and the credit was just a gag referenced to Mick Ronson.

But discogs seems to think that there actually was a band called "The Ronsons." I tried to google them and just came back up with Sawed Off.

Was there ever a band called "The Ronsons?" Did they record the Sawed Off songs? Or, is the "ronsons" reference just a cheeky joke?

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sawed Off - who were the Ronsons?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:07:07 AM »
We've talked about it a bunch over the years but never came up with an answer.

Some inside joke.

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
This discussion was one page back. Search function blows, but come on!  \:D/
http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=3490.msg41254#msg41254
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

DAYSTAR

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
I forget exactly how this happened. I think I sent him a facebook friend request and he responded with a conversation - at like 2:30 in the morning when I have to be to work at 7am. That's why I ended it so promptly. As you can tell I'm not a very good interviewer, but here it is straight from the horse's mouth on the Ronson's.

Pat Fear(Bill Bartell‎)/ Dale Nixon(me)
June 15, 2013

Bill Bartell: The Ronsons or go home

Dale Nixon: yes please...

Bill Bartell: "Melvins"

Dale Nixon: are the Ronsons real? could never find any info.

Bill Bartel:l as real as Dale Nixon

Dale Nixon: lol

Bill Bartell: recording this and the a side with Buzz's bass almost killed me, after recording Goin' Blind bass AND lead guitar on Buzz's heavy gauge 5 string Les Paul, I wanted to kill all of them...except Dale, who played lead guitar and drums, what a guy

Dale Nixon: How did the songs from Sawed Off come about? Were they recorded with the idea of a release or just messing around during the sessions and got something good out of it? Goin' Blind has to be one of the greatest covers ever. Nice work all around!

Bill Bartell: we did them and Goin' Blind during Houdini sessionswhen I was bass player 9 1/2

Bill Bartell: thanks, Buzz called me and said "Lori is indisposed so we're flying you to SF tomorrow to play lead guitar and bass on Goin' Blind..this was about 9 pm

Dale Nixon: Haha, a little advanced notice would've been nice.

Bill Bartell: I guess he assumed I knew that song on bass and Ace, neither of which was the case

Dale Nixon: you know what happens when you assume...you get a kick ass bass track and smokin' lead, that's what!

Bill Bartell: on a five string guitar with no high E nd fifty million gauge strings

Bill Bartell: and a bass with one inch off the fretboard action

Dale Nixon: Haha, I hope they at least bought lunch.

Dale Nixon: Any good Kurdt stories from the sessions?

Bill Bartell: none I will ever tell

Dale Nixon: I can respect that

Dale Nixon: It was cool to chat with you a bit. Hope to do it again. -Jason

Bill Bartell: never

Bill Bartell: you get one shot at fame and this was it

Bill Bartell: I failed u

Dale Nixon: :,(

Dale Nixon: I'll remember it, always.

Dale Nixon: Thanks Mr. Bartell
June 15, 2013 at 3:22am · Like

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
I forget exactly how this happened. I think I sent him a facebook friend request and he responded with a conversation - at like 2:30 in the morning when I have to be to work at 7am. That's why I ended it so promptly. As you can tell I'm not a very good interviewer, but here it is straight from the horse's mouth on the Ronson's.

Pat Fear(Bill Bartell‎)/ Dale Nixon(me)
June 15, 2013

Bill Bartell: The Ronsons or go home

Dale Nixon: yes please...

Bill Bartell: "Melvins"

Dale Nixon: are the Ronsons real? could never find any info.

Bill Bartel:l as real as Dale Nixon

Dale Nixon: lol

Bill Bartell: recording this and the a side with Buzz's bass almost killed me, after recording Goin' Blind bass AND lead guitar on Buzz's heavy gauge 5 string Les Paul, I wanted to kill all of them...except Dale, who played lead guitar and drums, what a guy

Dale Nixon: How did the songs from Sawed Off come about? Were they recorded with the idea of a release or just messing around during the sessions and got something good out of it? Goin' Blind has to be one of the greatest covers ever. Nice work all around!

Bill Bartell: we did them and Goin' Blind during Houdini sessionswhen I was bass player 9 1/2

Bill Bartell: thanks, Buzz called me and said "Lori is indisposed so we're flying you to SF tomorrow to play lead guitar and bass on Goin' Blind..this was about 9 pm

Dale Nixon: Haha, a little advanced notice would've been nice.

Bill Bartell: I guess he assumed I knew that song on bass and Ace, neither of which was the case

Dale Nixon: you know what happens when you assume...you get a kick ass bass track and smokin' lead, that's what!

Bill Bartell: on a five string guitar with no high E nd fifty million gauge strings

Bill Bartell: and a bass with one inch off the fretboard action

Dale Nixon: Haha, I hope they at least bought lunch.

Dale Nixon: Any good Kurdt stories from the sessions?

Bill Bartell: none I will ever tell

Dale Nixon: I can respect that

Dale Nixon: It was cool to chat with you a bit. Hope to do it again. -Jason

Bill Bartell: never

Bill Bartell: you get one shot at fame and this was it

Bill Bartell: I failed u

Dale Nixon: :,(

Dale Nixon: I'll remember it, always.

Dale Nixon: Thanks Mr. Bartell
June 15, 2013 at 3:22am · Like
This is great, thanks!
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

DAYSTAR

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »
Sure. I thought it was kind of a cool little thing.

"on bass and Ace, neither of which was the case"

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:05:10 AM »
This info need to be in the Wiki.

=D> =D>

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:14:01 AM »
e[/i]

Well done SIR!