MELVINS-TORONTO-22-06-2015 (Danforth Music hall)

Started by Dumpster D, June 24, 2015, 12:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

The Melvins strike again.

They came, they saw, they conquered. And sailed off into the night lights like the Crimson Permanent Assurance.

yet another scorching and devastatingly relentless Blow has been scored by this menace.

They took the Stage by Storm and Just owned it, Killed and totally dominated like always. Before I knew what hit me, they Launched it right into Hag me like establishing a well executed invasion.

A legendary Show, LEGENDARY.

You watch, and still wonder if it is actually real, Like its as good as you imagine its going to be but even better than you can imagine.

Buzz was Just mind-blowing, absolutely Incredible to watch, moved and played so well that words cannot Describe it.

Lightning and heavy thunder Struck afterwards as the crowd poured into the Street like a powerful Omen of things to come. Streets were all washed by the falling rain as I suspected would be the case, The next morning the weather was clear and the air was cooler and a nice wind had set in.   Got back home in time Just to make it to work, and for all I could do washing dishes on the busiest nights of the year, I still wouldnt have been able to keep up with this band on stage.

I have to say that my head is simply Throbbing from enduring the ordeal in all its Glory.

Buzz and Jeff had moments on stage that remind me of the way ZZ-Top would move. My brother was with me the whole time. after, I Asked what he thought Of the Singer-Guitarist-Pianist of Le Bucherettes and he Was intrigued how She was watching the Melvins Play from the side of the stage and dancing and moving, and even flipped the bird to a kid who got up centre stage to Try to Crowd surf! All you saw was a middle finger from behind the curtain stick out after that.

During Fascists eat Donuts she came out and sang into the Mic with Buzz and Hopped around and shook it up. My brother said she was like a wild Cave woman  :lol: she threw herself around in a barrage of petite finesse and stood behind Jeff and held her arms out like a pair of Wings as he finished off the set with his Delay swells on bass.
Who was this mystery Woman in the Red Dress Channeling into Jello, and Elvis a bit even..WOW Can she EVER WAIL on vocals, wow..WOW..and WOW! Glad I grabber their CD too!!! Dont be CHEAP!

Dale Slammed His Sticks at the end, and they flew like no rapper could drop the mic as bad ass as this mofo.

Like: YO PEACE OUT MA-FUCKAZ!

Dale was pushing hard, Driving himself beyond human capacity, he simply is an unstoppable Machine.

This Set Has DRIVE and POWER.

The Vocals were Divine and sibilant, The sound man was on his A-Game, and The whole night went off without a hitch.

Again, Jeff and Buzz Gelled together like ZZ-TOP on stage at some points.

The crowd was well tempered, and make no mistake, It was an Excellent Turnout.

someone did Get their asses hauled out by Security two thirds of the way through the Non-stop Set.

8 Dollar Tall cans were a good thing in a sense that not too many people got Roaringly Intoxicated.

The first thing that happened as I got to the show was spot Mr. Walsby at first pass ( As I was sharking) out front..and forgot who I was in that moment..(sorry for Chatting up your Fresh-air break sir, felt I was not an attentive listener, I know I struggle in conversations with people Im Happy to see! but have never met, especially Artists who I like as an art guy myself, I dont meet many Artists, especially whose Artwork I recognize and resonate with, and reflect upon the  Clever humor.)

I dropped $200 smackers at the Merch Table straight up and Brians Canuck biased melvins artwork was so friggin AWESOME, I couldnt pick or choose so he pulled one of the Gene Simmons Police story ones from under the table and of course It was REALLY good too!!! I was elated!!! Thank you so much!!! Its going to be framed next to a picture of Buzz who is like Mein Fuhrer, It was so Awesome they finally smuggled some Wicked Merch up north. I got in line again, appealed to Brian do me a favour and give Jeff one of my home-made Squadron hats (to which he was thoroughly glad to do, and said he will make sure he gets it for me! Thanks again! Outstanding!) There wasnt much time to chat so Hopefully some of the information will get through to Jeff about the origins of that LONG out of Production hat, Its basically an unobtanium pattern, I wonder if he will dig it, it is a good colour like his Trusty *timeworn* baseball hat* which he briefly removed in salute as he made his exit that night.

I did Bring a GOLF BALL for Buzz, and in hopes I might get him to sign one for me too same with the Hold it in Album but there was no opportunity, Not at the big venues like this anyway..I realize that. He darted out the front door and across the Street, and people Cheered and I applauded him proudly.

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING FOR US in the great white north once again, coming up here and showing us how its done, I am sincerely Grateful. 

(As for the hat for Jeff) : Its a 1950s Type B-1 Flying Cap, for colder weather, Made as close to spec. as I could do using recycled Material. Its a scrappy one for sure. 4-pannel Design (no smartie on top for comfort while wearing headphones so its ideal for Recording studio Hang time) Hope it Fits, and it should have a yellow 96 on the front and also a small patch on the side for the Air Refueling Squadron. And it will last a lifetime, but its not perfect and will fly off your head though, so it needs headphones to keep it on in a serious wind.

Pics soon, Dumpster is Tired.

didnt bump into any of you goobs....disappointed, oh well, more beer for me.

Melvins RULE, you do not.

I confess I bootlegged this on a cassette for posterity and also my own personal Enjoyment, It turned out really great because the sound was done so Well, I told the sound engineer that it was awesome sound..TWICE!!! once for each band, it was exceptionally well done! Its audible, lo-fi to say the least but Distinguished and tolerable due to the prowess of the sound boardsmen, yes, I will make a---- Free--- copy to anyone who missed out *cough cough*Conda *Huagh*

Hope to see you next time boys!!!

CHEERS!

What a great show.

GrimReaper

Mount Ambulance

Where were you? I was keeping my eye peeled for a maniac robed in WWII regalia ... missed him again

Shot the shit with Flutts and Big Jim tho ...

good times, good set, good God Pinkus!

Oh and thanx for the transatlantic embrace Jules!

oh yeah, and my buddy taped that shit. Haven't heard it yet; he says it sounds pretty great tho

**edit ... oh he posted it in the music downloads section ... good on ya Toen!
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Dumpster D

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on June 24, 2015, 11:42:44 AM
Where were you? I was keeping my eye peeled for a maniac robed in WWII regalia ... missed him again

Shot the shit with Flutts and Big Jim tho ...

good times, good set, good God Pinkus!

Oh and thanx for the transatlantic embrace Jules!

oh yeah, and my buddy taped that shit. Haven't heard it yet; he says it sounds pretty great tho

**edit ... oh he posted it in the music downloads section ... good on ya Toen!

I was right in front of the Sound board the whole time, that is the place for hearing optimal live Sound.

black stallion

great review! you're right about the ZZTOP thing
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dumpster D

Quote from: black stallion on June 24, 2015, 01:28:09 PM
great review! you're right about the ZZTOP thing

Thank you.

I hope you who also attended might have something to add to the review in terms of the performance of the band, I was not very close up to the stage and did not get as close enough to see the whites in their eyes. Speaking of which, my eyes were not very good that night..Concerts are a rigorous challenge to attend in terms of Staying standing for hours and subjecting yourself to the heat and as far as Im concerned your IQ level is bound to drop the more you engage with the regulars. You take your chances, and never know who might show up to start some shit in the mosh pit, and totally Ruin your night.

Like I said, Usually if Its a metal show I will be wearing a Pair of heavy Combat boots, tonight I had my Chuck Taylors strapped on, with *the Rocking M* drawn onto the white Rubber Cap of my left shoe in permanent marker.

My brother and I had Just enough time to Walk to our Hotel from the Union Station once our Train arrived, Check in, Then Hop a cab to the venue, Chug down a couple beer and scarf a greasy Wheel while we sat in the parking lot before 7 O-clock Rolled around. It was Very close, No time to lose.

After the Show We Went to Frans Diner for a late night bite, and It was a big deal for my Bro to manage the Rush hour Human Traffic Experience of Downtown Toronto, which was Starting to look more and more like the streets of Tokyo, Flooded with the massive herds of pedestrians coming off their shifts of the Sky scraping Big smoke nightmare Bank Jobs, Just like that scene in the Matrix.

Live in the city Vs. Life in The country, Lets Just say Im ok with being out in the country for now, Toronto gives me a really desolate sinking feeling down inside. Like Time moves too quickly there or something.

StrangerDanger

anaconda

Great review D! Wish I could have been there but we were getting our tan on in the Turks!

Great resort, I highly recommend: http://www.beaches.com/main/tc/tc-home/

Dumpster D

Thank you.  :D

wonder how long you guys did yer Vay-kay for!  8)

JUDY

Dumpster D

StrangerDanger

Pics of you in posse tee on Melvins show now? Or did you go in Meezocalypse??! :x :disagree: :later:

Dumpster D

I will Ask my bro to send the pics to me when I am done work tonight

StrangerDanger

Quote from: Dumpster D on August 19, 2015, 12:31:52 PM
I will Ask my bro to send the pics to me when I am done work tonight

Don't stress it bro!