Author Topic: Ty Segall + Steven McDonald (of Redd Kross and OFF!) + Dale = Broken Bat  (Read 8935 times)

Offline rimb

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
Via Stereogum...

Ty Segall, Steven McDonald (of Redd Kross and OFF!), and Dale Crover (of Melvins) have banded together to form a scuzz-supergroup under the name Broken Bat. They’ve uploaded a single track to their Bandcamp page titled “Take My Medicine,” with a parenthetical note that this particular recording is “just a taste edit.” It’s 53 seconds of claustrophobic aggression, and hopefully there’s more to come. Listen below.
http://brokenbat.bandcamp.com/album/broken-bat

Offline deatheats

• watches fox red eye
    • View Profile
FUCK YES!

A dream I never knew I had came true  :love:

Edit: which I just realized is exactly what the first sterogum poster said (although much more eloquently).

Offline JUDY

• Global Moderator
  • louisville lip service
    • View Profile
I am very excited to read about this  :love:
I think we should put it in a jar labeled 'melvins'

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
then you should hear it. its radass!

mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

Offline JUDY

• Global Moderator
  • louisville lip service
    • View Profile
then you should hear it. its radass!

Ohhh! That was a good 53 seconds. I meant to say I was happy to read the news and can't wait to hear the full results. I expect nothing but greatness.

Offline oldies radio

• merch vulture
  • I said shotgun! Shoot it boy, right now!
    • View Profile
super psyched! love the new & improved av fart!  :D
All analog. Reel to reel. Fab Four. Little Deuce Coupe. Under My Thumb. Who's better than the Funk Brothers? No one!

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
super psyched! love the new & improved av fart!  :D
its a bit more "contemporary".
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Captain CoryCory

I'm usually not into supergroups (Hell, I hate the terminology enough!) but I do like this.

Here's hoping they do two full albums!

Offline JUDY

• Global Moderator
  • louisville lip service
    • View Profile
Take Segall out of the equation and i'd be interested.

LAME

Offline Dumpster D

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
I cant wait!

Offline anaconda

• snake in the grass
  • Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • Brad Black Design Group
I know absolutely nothing about Ty Seagall.

Offline JUDY

• Global Moderator
  • louisville lip service
    • View Profile

Start with this (or Manipulator - as some might argue - but this is my solid rec)

I can't write a review right now but it's way too good. Good solid old bluesy rock and roll with a bit of everything else as far weird influences go. (Syd Barrett, Captain Beefheart, Zappa - just to name off a few) -- all that good stuff - with a slight hint of Jack White every now and then but I, personally, think that's a good thing. 

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Yeah, just listen to Manipulator about 5 times and tell me you're not hooked!
Only problem for me is that I got into Thee Oh Sees first and I'm 7 CDs into that (which isn't even half their catalogue). Same deal with this guy. I'm Getting Melted and Fuzz next.

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Offline meezer

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Looking for vocalists
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Take Segall out of the equation and i'd be interested.

LAME
I've listened to quite a few of his releases (various bands) and never enjoyed them very much. A few cool guitar things but nothing too exciting to me personally. Mostly though i just don't enjoy his vocals at all. Aggh they remind me of Tweak Bird and their horrible (or rather not to my taste) voices. Despite my first post above, i do respect the fact that the guy is prolific. That's great! But he seems to me like someone who is just a flavour of the month with people and the media perhaps. It has this prevailing air of hipster to it somehow to me too. I can't really describe that, it just seems apparent to me.
Having listened to Manipulator A LOT in the last few months, it reminds of Led Zeppelin I, but boiled down into cool 60's style ditties. No 5 minute guitar solos. No 3 minute organ intros. No segues with an acoustic guitar tuned all weird, playing some crap that only .01% of the world's guitarists could actually do on the fretboard. It's just high energy, catchy music, delivered one song after another. If you're not into lyrics like "oh yeah", he's probably not for you.