Author Topic: old shows  (Read 8253 times)

whocares

old shows
« on: September 19, 2003, 11:47:20 AM »
why don't some of yall who were lucky enough to see some old melvins shows intrigue us with your tales.

cooter

old shows
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 01:48:40 AM »
2000's 2X4 tour (two sets by four guys) Chicago IL. Metro 4/15/00

Well, they didn't do a soundcheck (Hooch) like at all the other places they played at on this tour :cry: Buzz talked for a good while before any music was played, he said something like "This show will seem longer than it really is" and that was cool with everyone. I think someone in the audience said to play anything they wanted, and the first song they broke into was "Tequila" by the Champs. (That's the song where P.W. Herman was doin' his little dance on top of the biker bar in his Big Adventure movie.) "That was nice, I hope they play some Melvins songs" i thought. Not yet. They next played their version of Merle Haggard's "Okie From Muskogee" with Buzz supplying the vocals. Then the Mel's broke into the middle of one of the "Stag" tunes, "Skin Horse" The second guitarist (Dave Scott Stone) fit in very nicely as Buzz let the lyrics flow thru him. No little triangle purcussion at the end. :x Then they actually introduced a song before they played it. "Up the Dumper" in all its magical glory. Next was something i didn't recognize which ended up being "Tipping the Lion" another one from "Stag" When Dale did his drum outro, all these colored spotlights were on the drumset. (it said hombre on the bass drum) "Berthas" came next, sounded a lot like the album. (I only had the cassette at the time, and i thought Captain Pungent was also a part of Berthas, but the Cd cleared that up.) The next three i don't remember. (Two of them were covers, never heard the originals) Then a half-dressed half-tanked man came on stage (David Yow) to sing "Blockbuster" He ended up half-way in the audience pinballing off people including me and my buddy Joe. The last song of the set was David singin' and flaylin' around with Nirvana's biggest hit playing in the backround. Short set but interesting none the less.

Just David Stone came back to the stage and messed with his music stand full of guitar pedals and other noise makers to create what sounded like at least ten minutes of "Pigtro" I realized this and thought they might bust into "Magic Pig Detective" but i was mistaken. Instead a rousing anthem of "Wispy" was performed. Another noise-ridden short track was next, "We Reach" Messing around aside, a dead-on version of "Revolve" was played, energizing the crowd, which made them go nuts for the next song "Night Goat" (It was just the intro, I had to wait until next year to see them play it in it's entirety.) The next two were a blur. (one cover, another intro) Then they started off the 1999 release "Maggot" with a devistating rendition of "Manky" complete with white noise at the beginning. Then Dale brought us back to the "Bullhead" days with a pounding "It's Shoved" The next two were covers i've never heard. Then out of nowhere they break into the middle of "Leech" with lines like "Coughing up blood, I think I've had enough, I've had enough of Yooouuuu!" Next came the "Honky" album with a performance of "Lovely Butterfly" (I don't think Dale had any distorted drums for that one.) Which led into a crowd pleaser "Zodiac" probably one of the Melvins most "Metal" songs to date. If that got the fans into a frenzy, "Let It All Be" wet their pants! From Dale's electronic intro to Buzz's outro riffage, it was a site to see onstage. "With Teeth" was next. I recognized the song from "All at Once" off "Singles 1-12" not yet owning "Lysol" (which i later special-ordered) Back to the Trilogy, they slashed out "amazon" followed by big brother "AMAZON" Melvins knew our hearts were racing and decided to cool us down with the ambient "Stoner Witch" song "Shevil" Dale introduced us to his gong and before we knew it the show was over. (And it DID seem a lot longer than it really was)

Offline blacksanta

• speaks bocce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.org
old shows
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 04:49:49 PM »
My first show was An Evening with the Melvins '96. The review posted on for the Seattle date at RCKNDY is a pretty acurate description of how the night went down.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

rib

old shows
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 12:03:28 PM »
yeah those are good but what about some OLD shows like back in the bullhead days? the only time i've seen em is with kevin.  he's got a weird ass stage presence and i was wonderin what lorax or joe or mark was like.   but i think as long as dale and buzz are up there it will always be the best show around.

cooter

old shows
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 08:43:58 PM »
yeah, the two shows i seen with them (2000,2001) had David Scott Stone on second guitar. He's cool and all, it's just that when there bustin' out Roman Dogbird it's weird seeing a guy that looks like Rivers Cuomo up on stage with the melvins. :o Oh, and Kevin broke a string at the second show; he looked pissed to me but was probably in pain. :cry:

Offline Beto Brasil

• Handler
  • beto@themelvins.net
    • View Profile
    • http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm
old shows
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 03:29:18 AM »
is old 2000/01/02?
oh God!
 :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Trading music since 1999 :

Update : http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm

Jess

old shows
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 11:54:24 AM »
all you guys must be as young as me.  i want OLD show reviews dammit.  are there no early nineties melvins veterans left?  what the hell was lorax like on stage?  i just can't picture a female rocking up on stage as hard as buzz and dale.

Offline Reverend Ebeneezer

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
old shows
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 12:46:54 PM »
Quote from: smokey
all you guys must be as young as me.  i want OLD show reviews dammit.  are there no early nineties melvins veterans left?  what the hell was lorax like on stage?  i just can't picture a female rocking up on stage as hard as buzz and dale.

Nope, they're all married with a semi in the 'Burbs. Either that or gone, mentally, through a deadly coctail of drugs, booze and grunge...
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

klump

old shows
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2003, 12:59:29 PM »
are there any other pics of lorax than the usual ones in the covers and in the concert section?

Offline Beto Brasil

• Handler
  • beto@themelvins.net
    • View Profile
old shows
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003, 01:48:34 PM »
Quote from: smokey

hey man, take it easy,
i have some "OLD" videos with Lori on stage man...
goooooooood videos :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

popeye

Oh Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 05:02:18 PM »
My first Melvins show was jan-93.  OMG  - I was definitely looking forward to the show as I had been listening to Bullhead and some other stuff but had not seen them yet.  
It was a perfect night.  It was an Evening with the melvins - 2 long sets- i don't even think there was an opening band except maybe it was No talent.
I was perfectly primed for the experience.  The show was at RKCNDY in Seattle.  I had been drinking whisky at the barr at the Offramp which was just a block away and had got smoked out just before the melvins hit the stage.  They were deep - Deep into sludge- and Lorax Blew me Away.
She was like in a Trance just laying down a wall of noise.  I was just 4 or 5 people back from the stage on her side.  It was much - much more than i had ever even imagined.  Buzzo is Amazing with that guitar.  
Four days later i drove down to Portland to see the show there, it was at la Luna- interesting place, heatmiser opened, and the melvins delivered another brilliant evening of music mixing Destruction - Chaos - and Beauty into a lethal dose, I don't miss Melvins shows anymore.

Offline sadcorps

• descendant of shirley temple
  • Melvins Fan since May 16, 1987
    • View Profile
old shows
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 04:05:18 PM »
My first Melvins show was in May of 1987 (age 14). Melvins opened for D.R.I. and Poison Idea at the Crescent Ballroom in Tacoma, Washington. Matt Lukin era. They each wore Star Trek Uniform shirts. They tore shit up. They were my favorite band of the night. A couple of days later I bought "Deep Six" compilation to get ahold of some Melvins tracks. I have worshipped at the altar ever since.

The oldest show I have on tape is at the Tropicana in Olympia Washington 1984. Awesome shit. Maybe someday I will put in on CDR and do some trading!!!!
"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself." - Gene Simmons

alnis

old shows
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 04:42:38 PM »
Quote from: John Schuller
The oldest show I have on tape is at the Tropicana in Olympia Washington 1984. Awesome shit. Maybe someday I will put in on CDR and do some trading!!!!

Get that shit online! It's a priceless gem that must be shared!

Seriously though....it'd be really cool to hear that.

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
old shows
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 03:40:58 PM »
i'm new here but have been a fan of the melvins a bandmate introduced me to gluey in 89'.  i was fully initiated on march 30th 1990 when the melvins played in nashville for the first time opening for F.U.C.T. a local band that begged the melvins to play there.  dale came out first and played for 5 minutes by himself.  then the bass player(it didn't look like joe,  lorax was out the door)  then buzz.  unfortunately the show was marred by numerous breakdowns of buzz's amp.  he was pimpin' though that night, wearing big gold medallions and a superfly polyester shrt unbuttoned halfway down.  all of dale's cymbals were broken.  but it was the heaviest sound i ever heard.  i couldn't tell you which songs were played cause i wasn't familiar with the titles back then.  probably seen them 8-9 times now and they are the GREATEST band on earth.
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

Offline Beto Brasil

• Handler
  • beto@themelvins.net
    • View Profile
old shows
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 07:14:36 PM »
Quote from: John Schuller
My first Melvins show was in May of 1987 (age 14). Melvins opened for D.R.I. and Poison Idea at the Crescent Ballroom in Tacoma, Washington. Matt Lukin era.  Awesome shit. Maybe someday I will put in on CDR and do some trading!!!!

BUMP!!!
Amazing man!! i can