Across The USA in 51 Days : The Movie!

Started by Idlehanz, September 16, 2015, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Ten Beers

Maybe they should have put a disclaimer sticker on this DVD for people like you - "This is NOT a concert movie!"

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 17, 2016, 03:50:26 PM
Just watched this movie for free and thank goodness i did! If i had paid money i would have felt severely ripped off. The whole thing panned out as expected and just as i previously suspected it would. Totally unwatchable with ZERO re-watch value. Not even worth uploading to YouTube let alone putting on a DVD. A few little interesting moments but they were so minor and quick that it didn't mean much. 10 minutes in and i was already checking how long was left to endure. I actually have a bit of an headache and feel a bit nauseous after viewing too. Perhaps that was the point? Still, i don't know if i feel this way naturally or whether it was all the shaky, blurring camera work that went on none stop instead. It is amazing to me that Ipecac went to the bother of actually putting this out. A total throwaway release. Whilst i was watching i kept thinking "i wish Ipecac had put out a new Melvins album instead of this crap". I'll never watch it again although i did like how they played the Breaking Bad music when they were in Albuquerque. That was funny. Oddly the more i see of the band in interviews and such, the more i have the feeling i REALLY wouldn't like to be around them as people. Although obviously there was a certain element of "playing up" for the camera going on here i guess.
5 * endorsement for normal people.  :P
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

BERZERKER

It was fun to watch all the way up to midway of the Movie, from there it got repetetative. Trevor Dunn was the one that made me smile most, Buzz was after my taste far to much behind the camera, if he had been more on film, it would be more viewable. Since I`m a fan I have no problems with this movie, but is has no value for those who don`t know the band. I would give i 3 of 6 on the dice.

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Stonergrunge

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 17, 2016, 03:50:26 PM
Just watched this movie for free

I'm not trying to be a cheap bastard (well, maybe I am) but, where or how did you watch it for free?
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Captain CoryCory

I wrote a review on this DVD some time ago and this DVD really opened my eyes on even wanting to own music DVDs at all, especially in a day and age where plenty of documented live events are showing up on youtube or bootleg sites for free.

I mean the only bands I can think of that are more documented than the Melvins in terms of this off the top of my head are Fugazi (But they're overrated sometimes!), Ween, Sunn O))) and The Grateful Dead. Mainly bands with rabid, cult-like fanbases.

Captain CoryCory

However audio bootlegs on the other hand...

zlbenson

Finally watched this. Fun documentation of whats its like on the road for a not super-rich band. I dug it.
twitter: zlbenson

According to both my wife and my daughter, "If you don't say the "F" word a lot, you're not paying attention!"

These days, I'm paying attention more than ever!

:twisted:

Quote from: Buick GN on January 19, 2016, 04:16:49 PM
Quote from: glen on January 18, 2016, 11:33:04 AM
they say the "F" word a lot.
And you don't?

Bigval

This Melvins dvd is currently airing on Ipecac's Youtube channel so I watched it for the first time last night. I absolutely loved the tour diaries they did for Spin magazine on that tour, someone on here collected them altogether on here in a PDF file even made a front cover it's fantastic and thanks again to whichever BBS member that did that. I've probably read the whole thing 4-5 times and even printed it out once and gave a copy to my brother don't think he ever read it though.

Anyway the documentary watching it it's just way too short at only about 60 min in length really you only get about a minute in each city if that on some stops and you can't get any sort of feeling for the specific cities which isn't good. As someone who has always dreamed of doing a road trip around the USA I would've liked to have seen the run time extended out to a good 90 mins or so to get a better feel for each place but the documentary seemed more like it was put together for posterity rather than being watchable. A bit too much focus on the crew guys as well no one cares about seeing band's crews.

I started reading the tour diaries for Spin magazine again after that viewing fantastic reading.