About the Melvins art direction lately...

Started by Sludgebaby, October 19, 2015, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(the) Razor

One of the best Mackie did was California. Great album art.

I really like all her Melvin's work though really, POTRE is pretty good.
Don't click this

meezer

Most favorite;

Stag
Stoner Witch
Freak Puke

Damn good;
Trilogy
HAT
COD
(a) Senile Animal
POTRE

Least favorite;
Nude With Boots
Hold It In
Bride Screamed Murder

*according to album covers (Mackie only)
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

danimal

Quote from: Sludgebaby on October 20, 2015, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: danimal on October 20, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
I really love Mackie's art and design. (A) Senile Animal is my favorite, and I had them sign the 4xLP gatefold when I met everyone a few years back. Also love Sugar Daddy CDs and 12"s. I was a little disappointed by Hold It In and Machine, but I generally don't like covers w/band photos.

I've also been disappointed w/the changeover to ecopacks, but understand people aren't buying CDs and they need to make money. Stills bums me out though.

I like eco packs. They're usually impossible to break (especially the centre piece that holds the CD in) and you don't have to fumble for 10 minutes just to take out/put back the booklet :D

Are you sure you don't mean digipaks? Those have the plastic centers. Eco packs are just cardboard and can easily damage the CD w/all the sliding.

meezer

I love all 3. I love CDs and i love it when people actually get them back to me without scratches and shit.  :?
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Sludgebaby

Quote from: danimal on October 21, 2015, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: Sludgebaby on October 20, 2015, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: danimal on October 20, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
I really love Mackie's art and design. (A) Senile Animal is my favorite, and I had them sign the 4xLP gatefold when I met everyone a few years back. Also love Sugar Daddy CDs and 12"s. I was a little disappointed by Hold It In and Machine, but I generally don't like covers w/band photos.

I've also been disappointed w/the changeover to ecopacks, but understand people aren't buying CDs and they need to make money. Stills bums me out though.

I like eco packs. They're usually impossible to break (especially the centre piece that holds the CD in) and you don't have to fumble for 10 minutes just to take out/put back the booklet :D

Are you sure you don't mean digipaks? Those have the plastic centers. Eco packs are just cardboard and can easily damage the CD w/all the sliding.

oops yeah I meant digipacks but I don't mind eco packs either. Fuck CDs though
My favorite thing about Melvins is the goofy personality | These guys suck and Buzz is a pretentious hipster dork | This sounds nothing like Metallica. | Dales Dad was a drum, its in his blood. | King Buzzo's hair probably holds a lotta secrets | what the fuck is a stee? | Melvins as a way of life

Bengerman

I think where they kind lost a little bit of coolness is when mackie started using the real photos more. It seemed like hat and before was more art/drawings and from nude with boots on is more photos. I agree it's not as enthralling as some of the previous stuff but it's just one of many phases. I didn't like senile animal's art at first but it grew on me. I think everyone can agree that we can look past a few not so wonderful album covers as long as they continue to write the amazing music we all love. I like haze xxl's stuff too but it also can be a little repetitious sometimes. All in all the Melvins have been around for 30 plus years without a hiatus. It's ok if they try a few different art ideas.

Sludgebaby

Guys Mackie just sent me the album cover for the new Melvins album:

My favorite thing about Melvins is the goofy personality | These guys suck and Buzz is a pretentious hipster dork | This sounds nothing like Metallica. | Dales Dad was a drum, its in his blood. | King Buzzo's hair probably holds a lotta secrets | what the fuck is a stee? | Melvins as a way of life

oldies radio

All analog. Reel to reel. Fab Four. Little Deuce Coupe. Under My Thumb. Who's better than the Funk Brothers? No one!

musicismyradar

Quote from: Sludgebaby on October 30, 2015, 11:02:36 PM
Guys Mackie just sent me the album cover for the new Melvins album:

Really? She sent me this: