Melvins albums you don't currently own

Started by deatheats, July 14, 2015, 12:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francisco_THF

Quote from: Stonergrunge on April 08, 2016, 03:52:56 PM

Is Santiago that bad? at least during my previous trips there I found very cool stuff like: (A) Senile Animal, Nude With Boots, Stoner Witch, Fantômas Melvins Big Band DVD, Salad Of A Thousand Delights DVD... although it's been a while, and during my last trip in 2014 I couldn't buy anything because the two tickets and the bus ticket were too much for my budget. Anyhow, try to find them, those two (HAT and Lysol) are among my favorite Melvins records of all time. And be grateful you don't live in Temuco... man, this place can be very depressing sometimes (almost no record stores here, boys).

It's not so bad at all, I've seen several Ipecac releases here in Santiago as you say plus Jelvins LP's, the live at Third Man Records, and Preston/Dale EP's. The problem is that I haven't found the shit that I'm looking for :p

(the) Razor

I just bought Prick, found a decent used one on Amazon second hand stores for a decent price (at least for an out of print album).  :excited:

Can't wait to hear it. Since it is in between Houdini and Stoner Witch, this thing is going to have some rocking tunes and normal sounding songs for sure!
Don't click this

Bigval

Isn't Prick meant to be a joke album (stretching things calling it an album really)?

I found it almost unlistenable and comfortably the worst Melvins recording I've heard. Buzz said they just put it out to help fund the recording of Stoner Witch.

(the) Razor

Don't click this

meezer

Quote from: Bigval on April 20, 2016, 06:37:12 AM
Buzz said they just put it out to help fund the recording of Stoner Witch.
While they were on Atlantic and had just released their best selling album Houdini?!?!?!  :shock:

Source, please.  =;
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

DeeSonyaChin

Isn't Prick meant to be a joke album (stretching things calling it an album really)?

I found it almost unlistenable and comfortably the worst Melvins recording I've heard. Buzz said they just put it out to help fund the recording of Stoner Witch.

I read or heard the same thing. I also heard that it was supposed to be named Kurt Cobain, until his passing.

LuckMach3

Quote from: meezer on April 20, 2016, 08:31:10 AM
While they were on Atlantic and had just released their best selling album Houdini?!?!?!  :shock:

Source, please.  =;

http://www.themelvins.net/writings/Buzzo_Kim_GWFeb95.html

He doesn't say they put it out with the intention of using the money to record Stoner Witch but that's what it was used for.  From this interview I get the impression that Prick was just supposed to be a dumb inside joke that almost no one would hear and then it ended up selling somewhat well.

I do laugh every time I listen to it though.  It's almost like I can hear this pissed off metal head jocks in the background who were expecting an album of tracks like Honey Bucket.  Rickets and Larry are pretty cool tracks that would fit in on other Melvins albums and I enjoy the weirdness of the whole thing.  THOoooOMmmmAaaaaSSSSssss!  JJjeeeeeEEEEEeffffFFFFF!

"Hopefully, this is the last lineup we're going to have."

Heh, if only Buzz knew.
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

Bigval

Quote from: meezer on April 20, 2016, 08:31:10 AM

Source, please.  =;

Source = Buzz? If you haven't noticed the Melvins are pretty savvy financially and a lot of bands when they sign to majors the label pays for their studio time, they take their time fuck around in the studio, hire an expensive producer etc The bands don't realise they don't see a cent of their album sales until their debt to the record label is repaid sometimes it could be $100,000 or so but I remember reading one album Korn did cost them a $1 million to make.

He said they put out Prick to pay for the recording costs of Stoner Witch therefore no debt with the label means more money would return to the band from album sales than otherwise is usually the case. You can argue the ethics of 'gouging' your fan base knowing Melvins diehards will buy anything they release but it was certainly a financially savvy thing to do.

(the) Razor

At least they didn't do a Blood Duster, BigVal and release an album on vinyl that would break your needle and is rendered unplayable! There are one or two tracks off Prick that might be entertaining.

I still don't have Chicken Switch, no interest in that
Don't click this

Bigval

Quote from: (the) Razor on April 20, 2016, 10:22:37 PM
At least they didn't do a Blood Duster, BigVal and release an album on vinyl that would break your needle and is rendered unplayable! There are one or two tracks off Prick that might be entertaining.

I still don't have Chicken Switch, no interest in that

Ha! I didn't know Blood Duster did that but so typical of them. Oh okay you haven't heard Prick? I'm sure most here would have more tolerance for it than I did but I couldn't wait for it to end lol Plus when I heard it I knew the back story of it's release which might've also coloured my perception of it a bit of a 'prick' thing to do to your fanbase.

I found Chicken Switch a bit hard to take and Colossus of Destiny too being honest. Those three Melvins recordings I could live with never hearing again.

(the) Razor

I hear you. I've heard a few key tracks off Prick but I actually don't mind listening to tracks like Punch The Lion. I know to take it for what it is.

I can somewhat appreciate their humour though....all jewel cases are back to front, their live houdini album is played live in front of no audience and of course Basses loaded being released on the opening day of baseball season with the cover song. As long as they don't get too pretentious it's all good.
Don't click this

Bigval

Quote from: (the) Razor on April 21, 2016, 01:29:13 AM
I can somewhat appreciate their humour though....all jewel cases are back to front, their live houdini album is played live in front of no audience and of course Basses loaded being released on the opening day of baseball season with the cover song. As long as they don't get too pretentious it's all good.

I didn't know that I thought those two shows they did for Houdini live were played in a warehouse with 20-30 fan club members or competition winners sitting around the band in a circle?