Author Topic: Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass  (Read 42510 times)

ilduclo

Re: Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
I'd like to see Joe Preston with them again, as an opener and sitting in. Joe's from Salem, have you been seeing him around at all, 45?

Offline sadcorps

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
  • Melvins Fan since May 16, 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2019, 03:59:20 PM »
I wish Melvins were Steve free! Surely he can keep busy enough away in Redd Kross and Off! whilst staying away from Melvins? Just keep it - Buzz, Dale, Jeff/Trevor.

That is not going to happen any time in the near future. Steven is a seriously badass player, has the kind of work ethic that the Melvins require and Steven and Dale are so tight that Steven and Dale both play together in Melvins, Redd Kross, Dale Crover Band and sometimes OFF!

Of course Melvins will continue to work with other bass players here and there, but I don't see them becoming "Steve Free".

I for one could not be happier as Melvins and Redd Kross are the two greatest living bands in the world since at least 1987 when I came upon them both.
"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself." - Gene Simmons

ilduclo

« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »

I for one could not be happier as Melvins and Redd Kross are the two greatest living bands in the world since at least 1987 when I came upon them both.

Red X? Certainly not what I heard, but then that's the first time I've seen them. Way too much vocals. I was asking myself whether it was a CSNY show or Vienna Boys Choir. Steven was good on bass with Melvins, but Red X?  =;

Offline ))))((((

• descendant of shirley temple
  • Genesis 1:2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »
As is most Melvins fans favourite topic of discussion or ponderings, i was just thinking about the previous bassists. To see that Steve has basically been in the band now for 6 years makes me wonder how much longer he might be the bassist of choice. Could he end up being the longest serving Melvins bassist beating Jared's approximate 9 years?? Also whether he may end up being the last bassist they ever have!!!! Although i think that might be a tall order at this point. But who knows!

Offline JFKC

• merch vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »
Fucking swivel hips!!!!!!!!!!

That’s what I want to see, I loved the cows before I loved the Melvins, and when Kevin got in the band, I was so fucking happy and honestly hostile ambient takeover is so full of the craziest shit and it’s all Kevin on bass, I really wish they would do some shit with him.

The cover with Jell-O....meh

Offline ))))((((

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2021, 06:41:45 PM »
Fucking swivel hips!!!!!!!!!!

That’s what I want to see, I loved the cows before I loved the Melvins, and when Kevin got in the band, I was so fucking happy and honestly hostile ambient takeover is so full of the craziest shit and it’s all Kevin on bass, I really wish they would do some shit with him.
Same here, Kevin is my favourite too.

Offline the bloat

• melvins is gay
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »
The other reason why I think Steven will stick around is because he can write songs, taking the load off of Buzz. Seems like there are only a handful of tunes on the last few records that didn’t have Steven’s grubby fingers in it. Personally, I’m not a big fan and I feel he’s steered them towards a poppier, rock sound.

Same thing with Big Biz though. Jared could hold his own and wrote songs to take the pressure off of Buzz. And boy, did he write some good ones. Maybe they can partner with Geddy Lee next...

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2021, 07:06:12 PM »
The other reason why I think Steven will stick around is because he can write songs, taking the load off of Buzz. Seems like there are only a handful of tunes on the last few records that didn’t have Steven’s grubby fingers in it. Personally, I’m not a big fan and I feel he’s steered them towards a poppier, rock sound.

Same thing with Big Biz though. Jared could hold his own and wrote songs to take the pressure off of Buzz. And boy, did he write some good ones. Maybe they can partner with Geddy Lee next...

I agree and think Steven is also highly professional so this might be it for good. I think him adding a pop rock sound is a combination of his influence, their ages and possibly Dale's back problems too. As much as I would like to see Big Melvins again I think those days are gone now.

Offline sadcorps

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
  • Melvins Fan since May 16, 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2021, 08:29:24 PM »
Steven McDonald will be a member of the Melvins until the end.

1) He plays in Redd Kross and Melvins love Redd Kross.
2) Dale plays drums in Redd Kross and Dale loves Redd Kross.
3) Steven lives in Los Angeles, making it very easy to work with.
4) Steven is a genuinely nice guy.
5) Steven is a badass bass player
6) Steven can sing.
7) Steven can write.
8) Steven does not have drinking or drug problems
9) Steven is a professional musician and is very roadtested
10) Steven's stories entertain the fuck out of Buzz
11) Steven likes the gig

I could go on and on and on. I am a huge fan of Steven McDonald.
"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself." - Gene Simmons

Offline vince furnier

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »
Steven McDonald will be a member of the Melvins until the end.

1) He plays in Redd Kross and Melvins love Redd Kross.
2) Dale plays drums in Redd Kross and Dale loves Redd Kross.
3) Steven lives in Los Angeles, making it very easy to work with.
4) Steven is a genuinely nice guy.
5) Steven is a badass bass player
6) Steven can sing.
7) Steven can write.
8) Steven does not have drinking or drug problems
9) Steven is a professional musician and is very roadtested
10) Steven's stories entertain the fuck out of Buzz
11) Steven likes the gig

I could go on and on and on. I am a huge fan of Steven McDonald.
agree with all of these and i too like him a lot. just seeing his role in the livestream tells me he's not going anywhere soon and those embellishments on Evil New War God were so friggin sweet. i love how he adapts their songs to his style and improves them.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline dirtmerchant

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2021, 02:50:48 AM »
Jesus I hope you are all wrong. Go away Steven. I hate his singing, But I also don’t like redd Kross. They were insufferable on that last tour with the Melvins. I saw 3 shows on that tour and they were just bad all 3 times. I know I’m being a hater but he’s been my least favorite bass player they’ve had. They’ve done some cheesy things in the past, but To me He adds an element of cheesiness to the band in the worst kind of way. Before him, I would always try to get friends who weren’t familiar with the band to go see em live with me, but now it’s like I’m almost embarrassed for them to see this band that I love so much with this bass player. I know he’s an awesome player and I’ve actually warmed up to his playing on a walk with love and death, but I’m still pissed that he ruined Amazon live for me. 😂 He used this stupid sounding phaser pedal or something over the whole damn song. It sounded like a 15 year old just got a new DOD phaser. You know what....That’s what Steven is to me with the Melvins, he’s this loud annoying phaser effect over one of my favorite songs. 😂
I wish him well, just in a different band. I don’t care how awesome of a player he is, it doesn’t fix his singing. I wish they’d do big Melvins again. They haven’t sounded as good live since that era. I hate to say it but it’s true. Plus, the songwriting was just on a different level. With all that hate being said, I do dig the new 1983 songs.

Offline CoryCory

• knows moss
  • 2008 - 2019, 2020 - ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2021, 09:30:25 AM »
Speaking personally I've actually seen The Melvins with Steven more than any other bassist at this point and he absolutely shines on the live stage, just an unreal energy and charisma for his age. He's a perfect fit for the more rock direction the band has embraced and fits the band's tongue-in-cheek nature to a tee. Seeing Melvins with Big Business, Trevor Dunn and Pinkus offered their own charms and amazing shows too but I wouldn't mind seeing them with Steven many more times to come.

I really want another full-length with Steven as all of the one's we got either don't fully feature him (PAT, Basses Loaded) or are A Walk With Love and Death, which IMO is one of the weaker albums.

Offline ))))((((

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »
I really want another full-length with Steven as all of the one's we got either don't fully feature him (PAT, Basses Loaded) or are A Walk With Love and Death, which IMO is one of the weaker albums.
Yes, in that sense it is a bit weird that he has been a Melvin for so long now and yet hasn't really had "his" Melvins album yet.

Online black stallion

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2021, 10:15:11 AM »
Yes, in that sense it is a bit weird that he has been a Melvin for so long now and yet hasn't really had "his" Melvins album yet.

because Melvins seem not interested into putting out proper albums anymore.  honestly i don't see all this ruining the band by Steven.. the pop/rock or whatever you want to call it direction has been taken by Buzz and Dale first i guess, besides Steven. maybe it's really because of the infamous back problems of Dale that Bigval keeps on talking about  :lol:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline amazonAMAZON

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »
I'm a full on Steven convert after the past few years. I agree that the auto phaser squelch was a mis-step but I think he has moved on from that. The first track on "Death" still rules, though, and I think it had that effect.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules